terrible pain in donor area after FUE procedure

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had FUE surgery multiple times and aside from some swelling, had no pain in the days following surgery. Maybe some soreness , but that was about it. Your photos look good, althought it would be helpful to have a close-up pic of your donor. To have major pain from FUE 2 weeks after surgery is highly unusual. What was the diagnosis at the hospital?

Pls appreciate that whilst this may have never happened before but this does not imply it does not exist nor does it imply it could never happen. This situation simply makes it incredibly unusual

Honestly, I am in a lot of pain and hoping that by reaching out in this forum I may learn something from a member that can help.

Sunchaser --

I totally agree that you should channel all of your energy towards getting well. It must be horrible to be going through such a thing... hang in there.

When you recover (and you will) please consider sharing the doc's name with Bill. While your experience may not be the doctor's fault in any way, I find it very troubling that he is not more involved in your post-op care at this point. I think this is inexcusable, and a very big deal. You should not have to come on here for advice, as this doctor (in my opinion) should be in very regular contact with you.

Originally posted by Curious:

What was the diagnosis at the hospital?

The doctor advised I have neuropathic pain because of trauma to the greater occipital nerve during administration of the local anisthteic and subsequent harvesting

I noticed what Spex did, too. The extraction area looks a bit "odd" to me.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Sure -

I had a total of 3500 grafts done over 2 days.

The first day was 2000 and the second day was 1500.

There is no pain in the recipient area and the grafts appear to have healed well, all the scans have fallen away, so ironically if you looked at me head on, the HT looks great.

The donor area looks good too. My hair is starting to grow back so you cant really tell that I have had any proceedure.

Its just the pain below the surface that is persisting.

Originally posted by Hairy Godmother:

Have you considered Botox? Has anyone heard of this before? It seems like I saw this type of treatment for the type of pain you describe...

HANG IN THERE!

This sounds like an interesting idea. I will discuss with my local doctor tommorrow

Your pain sounds not too dissimilar to what I see with trigeminal neuralgia - sometimes we inject long acting anesthetic/steroids to relieve this inflammation. Here is a good article I found for you - I would probably caution not to inject steroids or sever the nerve permanently at this juncture.

http://www.answers.com/topic/occipital-neuralgia

Ive have personally been researching FUE so this is a bit alarming. I really hope you feel 100% better soon and your doctor is taking care of you. Please do keep us informed if you can. I have not seen this in any other FUE cases.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

i agree with many here that it sounds very strange and bizarre.

after all my research here and there i never heard of anyone complaining about their donor pain right after FUE procedure let alone 2 weeks post-op.

i thought that that stuff applies only to strip patients icon_wink.gif

anyways i hope and wish that you get better soon sunchaser!

Wow I am really at a loss here. For one this is a huge session(s) for FUE and would wonder why strip was not considered. Secondly the pictures suggest that plenty of the extraction occurred above the occipital. What i mean is that with your MPB there is a good chance some of the hairs extracted may not stay with you long.

Hope all is better by now anyways. Would love to know the Doctor's name.

Yes, the name of the dr. would be *very* nice to know....it kills me when they get treated as if being cloaked in some witness protection program.....particularly for the future patients who undoubtably will be considering him and also finding their way onto this site at some point. I have my "guesses", but....

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

I really want to know who this doctor is too. In fact, I don't think it's fair to the doctors on this site who did not perform your surgery that you haven't yet named your doctor. By describing your physician as "very reputable", and "well known in this forum", many people will simply let their imagination run wild with possibilities. Just my two cents.

Hi everyone,

the pain is now under control. Not better nor worse. Manageable.

More importantly I have a positive disposition again.

I have been advised that the pain is called neuropathic pain and more than likely relates to

1: nerve damage caused by nerve blocks being inserted in an in incorrect manner as well as

2: Some the needles may have hit nerves during the harvest phase of my HT.

I found something basic that discusses this on the net. ( pls visit part 4 from the following page

http://www.keratin.com/aw/aw046.shtml for more information for more information)

The local doc advised the pain could last weeks to several months perhaps years ( although remote) . Each person is different in their healing speed. We'll see.

The local doctor prescribed me:

- lyrica to dampen the tingling and burning sensation

- Tramadol for the general pain

I am back at work but I unfortuanatley one of the by products of the pain killers is that I am a walking zombie so I am not comfortable with making decisions on completing contracts nor am I allowed to drive.

I made contact with the HT doctor but I have to admit that I was disappointed with his lack of compassion/ empathy about the whole situation repeating adnueseum to me that "this had never had before with FUE". I called his mobile on the weekend and didnt get a call till the monday. There seemed to be a lack of desire to really help.

As a consequence of my calls and emails, he has committed to investigating it further by reading some medical journals and come back to me by weekend.

He did ask for details of the my local doctor so he can get a better idea of the situation.

I am really reluctant to say which doctor at the moment as I have faith in people so what I will say is that the doctor is not in the USA. He is located in Western Europe.

I guess what I can offer this forum is advice that whilst pain from a FUE HT's is incredibly rare, I guess I am proof that it is very possible.

One should know of the potenital complications with any type of HT and def allowing for some down time after the HT.

Apart from that the HT is coming along well. I'll post photo's in a blog soon.

I'll keep you updated.

Once again thanks for your advice and insight it really has been helpful and supportive.

sunchaser

it is definitely your prerogative to not disclose the Doctor's name. At the same time consider the possibility that some other poor soul may experience the same agony and that perhaps this may not be quite as rare in his practice as it is indeed elsewhere and especially in the US.

If the Doctor is well known on this board or has knowledge of it ask him to come here and explain your procedure with the community. We are all ears..

Best wishes with your healing.

Hahah GQ...NO! I was *right*! If I didn't see the pics and just the talk about them I'd have thought Umar, too, but the work honestly didn't look like his to me....not bloody enough! icon_wink.gif I thought/think Bisanga based off all the info, mainly the session's size and that the clinic is held in high regard....just speculation, but if I had to guess I wouldn't have guessed any1 else.

Anyways, glad things have stabalized a bit, Sunchaser. And it does seem that the doc is indeed making efforts to get to the bottom of what happened, and that you'll get sorted out in due time.

-----------