Is this a 1000 grafts or more?

Hi!

I had a bad transplant many years ago in Turkey. The procedure was for 1000 grafts, but my donor looks pretty bad.

I am much more wiser now and am looking to do repair with some surgeon recommended on this forum.

My question is, do you believe the donor look bad because the grafts were not properly spaced apart, or do you believe that in their attempt to extract a 1000 grafts, they may have tried many more times and destroyed many more follicles.

If you took time to read this and respond, i thank you wholeheartedly and chant a blessing to keep the norwood reaper away from you.

Grafts.png

Sorry for your bad experience. Judging from this photo its a combination of both i think. SMP into the donor area might be a good solution for you.

• Moderators

In addition to what you said it looks like it could also be larger punch sizes. How long ago was this done?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

The procedure was done 7-8 years ago.

I have already done SMP into the area. It looks much better, but some areas are so void of hair that it is very obvious that a clump of hair is missing.

Im considering BHT into the donor, since i have a good amount of body and beard hair. But my main concern is not having enough grafts for future operations.

I asked them what size punch they used. They said that they use 0.7 or 0.8 depending on the patient. So larger size punches are out of the question.

I also got ahold of photos right after implantation and counted the grafts on one temple. It was 500, i assume it's 500 on the other too since it is symmetric.

So i dont know. maybe they botched 1000 grafts or something. Which is alot.

22 hours ago, PreviouslyAFool said:

I asked them what size punch they used. They said that they use 0.7 or 0.8 depending on the patient. So larger size punches are out of the question.

I also got ahold of photos right after implantation and counted the grafts on one temple. It was 500, i assume it's 500 on the other too since it is symmetric.

So i dont know. maybe they botched 1000 grafts or something. Which is alot.

Just because 1000 went in doesn't mean 1000 came out. If they took out a 1000 and noticed that 1 or 2 in every 3 or 4 are damaged owing to poor technique, they could have taken more out to compensate and still get you your 1000 in the temples. Was the temple growth good at least?

Just now, TrixGlendevon said:

Just because 1000 went in doesn't mean 1000 came out. If they took out a 1000 and noticed that 1 or 2 in every 3 or 4 are damaged owing to poor technique, they could have taken more out to compensate and still get you your 1000 in the temples. Was the temple growth good at least?

Yes, that is what i am afraid of. Difficult to know how much they actually took.

Just now, PreviouslyAFool said:

Yes, that is what i am afraid of. Difficult to know how much they actually took.

If you are going to keep your short, have you considered another surgery with a good clinic taking grafts from the sides to put in the back?

Just now, TrixGlendevon said:

If you are going to keep your short, have you considered another surgery with a good clinic taking grafts from the sides to put in the back?

Yes i have considered that. Perhaps using body/beard hair since i want to save the head grafts for my head. The problem is that some doctors have told me i only have about 2500 grafts left to use, other said a little more, but this is still after only a surgery of 1000 grafts. I also dont tolerate finasteride so this puts me in a difficult situation. What i am wondering is, should i just repair my donor and accept hairloss, or do i dare to attempt more surgeriers.

I recently started minoxidil so that should help somewhat atleast. Im hoping verteporofin is what we hope it to be.

Posted (edited)

Does it really matter?  What is done is done.  

The best thing to do is go to a reputable surgeon and ask them what they think they can extract from the remaining donor area.

IMO, it looks like more than 1000 grafts were removed...but as someone already suggested, they probably transected/damaged more as they were taking out those 1000.  A graft punch size of 0.7 is quite small and only the top surgeons are able to remove grafts with that small of a punch size without a high transection rate.  They probably removed a lot more, and managed to only get 1000 that weren't totally damaged.

Edited by Bucky O Hair