Grey hair after Hair Transplant

Posted (edited)

Hello forum,

I had a hair transplant, now I am at the 3 month mark after the transplant and I am noticing more and more new gray hair in the transplant area, why is this? Is it possible to follow something with this? What are the actual working procedures to correct this situation?

Thanks.

000E3BC8-076C-4B7F-96DF-029E7FE65F22.jpeg

D5DDAC0B-7038-4D35-9F47-245C9C945938.jpeg

Edited by Stefaniwicz

This might be from minoxidil or you already have some growth from the new transplanted hair that are coming out at the beginning as vellus hair. You already have a full head of hair, what areas did you need to cover with this hairtransplant?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stefaniwicz said:

What are the actual working procedures to correct this situation?

accept aging or dye your hair

its possible your donor hair naturally had more grayness to it, and now that this hair is in the front of your head its more noticeable to you

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jjalay said:

This might be from minoxidil or you already have some growth from the new transplanted hair that are coming out at the beginning as vellus hair. You already have a full head of hair, what areas did you need to cover with this hairtransplant?

Before HT I Have NW III 

9815076B-5358-4249-A64A-4BCB4B3AE63E.jpeg

Edited by Stefaniwicz

18 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Minoxidil can in some people darken the pigmentation of your hair. Your observation seems to be a common one. I would talk with your surgeon about this. All the best. 

You are probably the most experienced person on the forum, do you think there are any procedures that help slow down gray hair?

8 minutes ago, Stefaniwicz said:

Before HT I Have NW III 

9815076B-5358-4249-A64A-4BCB4B3AE63E.jpeg

Ok now i see. For the grey hairs you are mentioning, even if it stays like this i wouldnt do anything about it.Its barely noticeable.

are you certain this gray hair is actually new? It makes sense to be super obsessive and focused on your hair when you have a hair transplant. Maybe you just never noticed it before when you didn't have your hair under a microscope

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

are you certain this gray hair is actually new? It makes sense to be super obsessive and focused on your hair when you have a hair transplant. Maybe you just never noticed it before when you didn't have your hair under a microscopeI

Thank you for the answers, these hairs are exactly the ones that I transplanted, it’s easy to track because I took a lot of photos for observations, these gray hairs are new and have grown in a place where there was no hair for a long time, I just want to understand if I can handle this I should do something, I’m glad that new hair is appearing, but it’s too conspicuous, and several people have already noticed it in the last week lol, maybe mesotherapy will help? Or should I just try to accept it? I just want to understand if there is a treatment, my surgeon is not looking for communication and his assistant, who has maintained at least some level of communication with me, is not very interested in me, because I already paid the money and received the operation, everything they wanted from me they got and now they are not very interested in me lol, in 3 months they have not once asked how I am doing lol 

Edited by Stefaniwicz

I have noticed this issue with many hair transplant patients including myself, I don’t recall having any grey hairs before my hair transplant and now there are a few popping here and there. I don’t think it’s a coincidence, I believe the the process of a hair transplant puts too much stress on the scalp and prematurely greys hairs. 

For me, the shock of being transplanted seems to have been positive for my follicles-  I am grey but the vast majority of new hairs that are sprouting are at least starting off black. Whether they stay that way when they mature remains to be seen. However, it may be down to the minoxidil as other contributors have suggested, as I only started using it after my transplant. 

• Moderators

The quickest, easiest fix is to simply dye your hair the same color as your natural hair color. Then you can still look for a long term solution (if there is one), but there's no rush at that point. Besides, as you get older, you are going to get more gray hair anyway. 

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

By the way, I just noticed you were only at 3 months. That's a lot of growth for 3 months! I'm wondering if some of those hairs will gain some color as they mature.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

How old are you? I have seen this happen more frequently but it may just be coincidence with genetics, or the increased stress theory like people here have said. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
On 3/15/2024 at 12:07 AM, Stefaniwicz said:

Or should I just try to accept it?

Embrace the grey. 

Look, it works for George Clooney. In all seriousness grey hair is nothing to worry about and in my opinion looks pretty cool. Check out @Zoomster & @Stewie’s epic results. If anything, the salt n pepper enhances the naturalness of the results. 

At the end of the day you’ve got your hairline back and you’ve got a pretty full looking head of hair. If it goes grey it goes grey. Who cares? It’s not a big deal and not worth worrying about. 

• Like 4