Is it possible to ONLY harvest singles?

Lets say if someone only needed temple points done and have no use for any multis, is it possible or realistic to only extract single grafts? 

Yes this is possible but not the best option, this will create alot of scarring in your donor area for no good reason. The best thing to do in such cases is to dissect multigrafts to create more singles. this way your donor area will be less impacted for the same amount of grafts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjalay said:

Yes this is possible but not the best option, this will create alot of scarring in your donor area for no good reason. The best thing to do in such cases is to dissect multigrafts to create more singles. this way your donor area will be less impacted for the same amount of grafts.

Im very new to hair transplants. Can you please explain the dissecting grafts part? Is this something most surgeons can do?

• Moderators

A two haired graft can be cut in half to make 2 single haired grafts.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, eze said:

Lets say if someone only needed temple points done and have no use for any multis, is it possible or realistic to only extract single grafts? 

Temple points need to be lighter, softer, slower growing hair. These grafts are generally taken from behind the ears.

• Like 2

I agree with gatsby. There is a tradeoff when reconstructing temporal peaks. On the one hand, more extractions are made in the donor area to harvest fine singles (typically found in the nape and behind the ears), on the other hand, a natural look is acheived. The singles obtained through dissecting the multiple grafts are naturally thicker than the naturally occuring singles in the nape and behind the ears.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

The doctor has the ability to extract individual hair follicles (singles) and can even separate some multiple follicles (multis) into singles, but this decision depends on what the doctor considers best, taking into account the patient's hair characteristics. If a patient has thick hair, splitting multi grafts into singles might not be ideal because the multi grafts may contain thick hairs unsuitable for temple areas. In such cases, only very fine single hair grafts should be harvested. Some surgeons also believe that there could be issues with graft survival if they are not handled properly or if they are not split carefully, so some prefer to harvest only what is required rather than harvesting multiple hair grafts and then splitting them. Ultimately, the approach taken depends on the surgeon you choose for your procedure.

• Like 2

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Yes, you not only need singles, but finer ones, and usually from the peripheral areas such as nape or above ears. I agree with the above, splitting doubles gives you singles but how coarse are they? This is really why some look pluggy when the temples ideally need a soft introduction and not this stark wall of hair. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Temple points need to be lighter, softer, slower growing hair. These grafts are generally taken from behind the ears.

This is very true and highly recommended!

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY