Switching From Oral to topical solution ? And Consequences ?

Shadman

Hello, I’m on oral minoxidil 2.5 mg daily & finasteride 1 mg 3 times in a week from the last 9 months. I started taking finasteride in 2018, took for few months. And later on I started taking it when I did my first hair transplant in 2020. But every time I faced sides effects. currently I'm taking it three times in a week, but still there are sides. Which includes loss of libido, less morning Wds. 

For these reasons, I’ll be switching completely to the topical solution.there's a product which has 5% minoxidil & 0.1% finasteride topical solution. I'll give it a try for few months.

So, 0.1% topical finasteride would be strong enough to give sides ? 

• Valued Contributor
45 minutes ago, Shadman said:

Hello, I’m on oral minoxidil 2.5 mg daily & finasteride 1 mg 3 times in a week from the last 9 months. I started taking finasteride in 2018, took for few months. And later on I started taking it when I did my first hair transplant in 2020. But every time I faced sides effects. currently I'm taking it three times in a week, but still there are sides. Which includes loss of libido, less morning Wds. 

For these reasons, I’ll be switching completely to the topical solution.there's a product which has 5% minoxidil & 0.1% finasteride topical solution. I'll give it a try for few months.

So, 0.1% topical finasteride would be strong enough to give sides ? 

Hey @Shadman. I had sexual side effects on oral finasteride on lots of different doses from 1mg a day to 0.25mg every second day. I tried topical finasteride at 0.25% but I found that my libido disappeared after three months. I might consider l going back to my dermatologist and try 0.1% topical finasteride but I’ll see. 
My advice would be to continue with oral minoxidil as it’s far more effective than the topical version and have your dermatologist prescribe 0.1% topical finasteride. That way your are getting the maximum benefit of oral minoxidil. All the best with whichever way you choose to proceed. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve seen 0.1% topical is equivalent to 1mg oral finasteride… I have been trying to find topical fin at much lower doses, 0.025% and 0.05% (0.25 mg and 0.5 mg) seems minoxidilmax do a solution at 0.05% fin & 5% minoxidil so might have to try that out but I’m not sure on the legitimacy of minoxodilmax, don’t think you even need a prescription 

• Thanks 1

Hi @Big Rome do you've any experience with 0.1% topical solution ? Actually this is the lowest dose of topical finasteride which is available here. There's is a finasteride gel which is 0.25% and another topical solution also at 0.25%

More than likely, you will end up with sides from the topical fin over time. The question is when. Once your DHT drops to a  level where it causes sides for a particular individual you will start to see sides. 

48 minutes ago, 12345 said:

The question is when. Once your DHT drops to a  level where it causes sides for a particular individual you will start to see sides. 

Would you like to elaborate a bit on this ?

1 hour ago, Shadman said:

Hi @Big Rome do you've any experience with 0.1% topical solution ? Actually this is the lowest dose of topical finasteride which is available here. There's is a finasteride gel which is 0.25% and another topical solution also at 0.25%

No never taken any topicals before, I’m going to try and start with 0.025% as soon as I can get hold of it somewhere lol 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Hey @Shadman. I had sexual side effects on oral finasteride on lots of different doses from 1mg a day to 0.25mg every second day. I tried topical finasteride at 0.25% but I found that my libido disappeared after three months. I might consider l going back to my dermatologist and try 0.1% topical finasteride but I’ll see. 
My advice would be to continue with oral minoxidil as it’s far more effective than the topical version and have your dermatologist prescribe 0.1% topical finasteride. That way your are getting the maximum benefit of oral minoxidil. All the best with whichever way you choose to proceed. 

So do you not take finasteride at all now?

if you don’t mind me asking 

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

No I don’t 

Do you feel bad any negative impact hairloss wise?

Ive been on Fin awhile although not consistently as I should be…When I run out I tend not to rush out to get more or I go through periods where I don’t take it out of forgetfulness.

But feel my libido as of late has gone down whilst I’ve been more consistent that last few months…Can’t say it’s Fin for sure or fin alone, but wouldn’t surprise me if it’s playing a part.

Thinking to either do 3x week or 0.5mg daily or maybe stop completely 

• Valued Contributor
32 minutes ago, LeveledUp said:

Do you feel bad any negative impact hairloss wise?

Ive been on Fin awhile although not consistently as I should be…When I run out I tend not to rush out to get more or I go through periods where I don’t take it out of forgetfulness.

But feel my libido as of late has gone down whilst I’ve been more consistent that last few months…Can’t say it’s Fin for sure or fin alone, but wouldn’t surprise me if it’s playing a part.

Thinking to either do 3x week or 0.5mg daily or maybe stop completely 

I think owing to the fact that I started repair/hair transplants as a Norwwod 7 and that I am taking oral minoxidil, I don't feel that I have lost ground. In fact my hair feels thicker and remains in the anagen phase much longer. I would still love to be able to take a 5ari for the future of my donor (and transplanted scalp hair).

As to finasteride (I'm not a doctor) I would get off the drug until the sexual side effects disappear and then try micro dosing. That way you will have your normal baseline to compare to. All the best.

9 hours ago, Shadman said:

Would you like to elaborate a bit on this ?

sure. 

basically even if you use fin topically, it will go systemic and drop the dht, maybe not as low as oral fin does in one pill dose, but overtime with subsequent applications of topical fin, it will lower your dht down to a level where you experience sides. 

• Valued Contributor
53 minutes ago, aykay7 said:

Do we know which is usually more effective and gives a better result? oral minoxidil (5mg) vs topical minoxidil (5% foam)?

Oral minoxidil is generally better in that it passes the liver and goes systemic and works on scalp and beard (sometimes body) hair. Topical works where it is applied and is more messy than taking a tablet. However it is really a case by case decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hairman22 said:

i actually think using both is a great  option.

2.5mg orally along with 5% minox. Im reluactant to stop topical because it works for me

Yes, if you're getting result with it, there's no point to switch

On 3/12/2024 at 2:55 AM, hairman22 said:

i actually think using both is a great  option.

2.5mg orally along with 5% minox. Im reluactant to stop topical because it works for me

how long did it take to start working for you?