What are the options for hair removal when it comes to removing transplanted grafts in the hairline?

i've seen a couple of threads of 'repair / correction surgery' by Dr Bisanga where he's punched out grafts in the hairline (I assume the same technique used to take them out of the donor). This seems to require at least two surgeries as not all hairs are grown out in that hair cycle.

i've also heard others mention laser hair removal, is this an option also?

Any others?

Thanks

• Valued Contributor
6 minutes ago, hairman4321 said:

What are the options for hair removal when it comes to removing transplanted grafts in the hairline?

i've seen a couple of threads of 'repair / correction surgery' by Dr Bisanga where he's punched out grafts in the hairline (I assume the same technique used to take them out of the donor). This seems to require at least two surgeries as not all hairs are grown out in that hair cycle.

Any others?

Thanks

Punchouts are increasingly common. Ultimately it depends on your case as to what the best options will be. Can you share some pictures?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hairman4321 said:

Any others?

Thanks

Electrolysis is also another option, but you should really talk with a repair doctor like bisanga about this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

Punchouts are increasingly common. Ultimately it depends on your case as to what the best options will be. Can you share some pictures?

I just have a very small amount of hair to remove, if you see the pic whatever is on the other side of the black line - i want it to be less rounded:
ScreenShot2024-03-07at6_02_34pm.png.417fbc6b0ab12c1985d8b090f07d2b65.png

@Gatsby happy to just remove this amount - looking at the area its probably 15-20 hairs only.

i'm wondering if i could even just use something like this, a hand held at home electrolysis wand: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E2TGETG
the reviews seem to say that it takes while until the hairs stop growing back, but that would be okay too.

• Moderators

If it's only those few hairs and you don't mind eliminating them and not reusing them then you could consider simply plucking them with a tweezers whenever they start growing in. As long as you're consistent with plucking them they will eventually stop growing.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

2 hours ago, hairman4321 said:

Any others?

Thanks

I had to have over 50 grafts punched out from my hairline as they were thick & pluggy… the DR will re-implant them further back as once removed and replanted the survival rate drops quite a bit 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
9 hours ago, hairman4321 said:

I just have a very small amount of hair to remove, if you see the pic whatever is on the other side of the black line - i want it to be less rounded:

@Gatsby happy to just remove this amount - looking at the area its probably 15-20 hairs only.

i'm wondering if i could even just use something like this, a hand held at home electrolysis wand: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E2TGETG
the reviews seem to say that it takes while until the hairs stop growing back, but that would be okay too.

That’s pretty minuscule. I’m wondering if you’ve recently had a HT and have a little buyers remorse given your photo choice? If so you may find that once everything grows in and the redness subsides the temple corner will appear softer and slightly more angular than they do currently. 

Plucking would be another option of course, but you certainly have a minor punch out session. 

21 hours ago, Al - formerly BeHappy said:

If it's only those few hairs and you don't mind eliminating them and not reusing them then you could consider simply plucking them with a tweezers whenever they start growing in. As long as you're consistent with plucking them they will eventually stop growing.

Based on what do you make this statement? 

• Valued Contributor
21 hours ago, hairman4321 said:

I would definitely just let your growth play out until the final month. I pictured that you had a lot of grafts that needed removing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Al - formerly BeHappy said:

oh do you think plucking would work? I thought when you pluck hairs they regrow stronger

EDIT:
i just plucked a few hairs out, probably only 10-15 to be conservative. i'm only month 4 post-HT and they came out more easily than a regular hair, i guess they're not strong yet. i wonder if just plucking them at this stage will damage the follicle enough so it doesn't grow back. it looks much better now. i'll post a photo tomorrow if i remember. but basically to my eye at least the shape of the hairline is more natural and doesn't catch the eye in that spot.

if they keep regrowing i'll just try an at-home electrolysis on them - i've seen ones that just target single hairs.

Edited by hairman4321

• Moderators

If you pluck them regularly as they grow in then yes they will eventually stop growing. That is basically what happens with traction alopecia. The hair keeps getting pulled all the time and eventually stops growing. Also you can ask all the 45 and up year old women who used to pluck their eyebrows when they were younger because thin eyebrows were in style. Now that thick brows are in, those women can't grow eyebrows, so now they color them in.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

But I think you would be wise to do as @Gatsby says and let them grow for now and see what it looks like once the entire new hairline is grown out. Then you can play around with shaping it the way you want by plucking a few if you still feel the need to.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)