Techs are more important than the doc- Agree or disagree.

For me it’s just common sense. The handling, separating and implanting of the ever so delicate grafts is in most cases, the pure responsibility of the techs. Physicians have all these letters behind their names and the techs do not…. Just some training for the techs and call it good.

One  hears horror stories all the time regarding the techs and their unprofessionalism. I’ve experienced this but…. Not with my last FUT. The techs were exceptional. I’m so happy I have my hair back :)

Thoughts??

• Administrators

Doctors plan the procedure and design, they create the sites, which determines the appearance and density. Techs follow the doctors instructions. Its like saying the car is more important than the driver. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Posted (edited)

Neither would really work well without the other, the best teams will have a decent Dr at the helm and is supported by a well trained tech team. 

They both have to be right to get a decent result. A purely tech driven team never works out well. And a Dr doing too much of the procedure will be subject to fatigue. 

I can't separate them too much, it's very important to have a Dr do at the least do the most important step (Incisions) and then I have no issue in just how many steps the techs will then perform.

But it's very important it's led by a Dr. Preferably one that doesn't just pop in and out occasionly. Supervison is key, yes there are some absolutely fantastic Techs out there being led by not so great Dr's, and the opposite is true too. Aiming for both should be paramount. 

Edited by Britanium
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Doctors plan the procedure and design, they create the sites, which determines the appearance and density. Techs follow the doctors instructions. Its like saying the car is more important than the driver. 

This is precisely the point I’m trying to make. Everything is relative, hence all the expertise displayed by the doc , is jeopardized with the techs do not follow the physician explicit instructions.

Again, I’ve experienced this but….. not my last procedure which was unique in the sense that fresh techs rotated each hour in conjunction with the Doctor checking in frequently on their work.

It is all part of a chain and it is important to have excellent doctors with competent techs who will do their part. Great doctors with poor techs = poor outcomes, as does great techs with poor doctors. It is only as good as the weakest link and so look for doctors who have very well trained and experienced techs. 

14 minutes ago, laverita said:

It is all part of a chain and it is important to have excellent doctors with competent techs who will do their part. Great doctors with poor techs = poor outcomes, as does great techs with poor doctors. It is only as good as the weakest link and so look for doctors who have very well trained and experienced techs. 

Yup one can easily mess up the other, Dr or Tech, worse case scenario is both perform badly. 

Occasionally we see one tech doing good work on one side and another doing sub par the other. 

It's really not surprising there is so many risks attached to a successful hair transplant, they are tough enough to get right without any weak links. 

Posted (edited)

With my 3 surgeries…. I was just shocked at the unprofessionalism of the techs. Here I am spending many thousands of dollars only to listen to small talk and complaining!!

Again… I must emphasize that my last surgery was perfect with both the physician and his techs. I will definitely be returning to him. 

Way too many variables play into this formula. Not to mention the dissection and storage of the grafts which require an experienced tech  with a skillful hand.

Anyway, very good responses here so far !!

Edited by Betterhair

Posted (edited)

Good question.. bisanga implantation is 7eur and tech'bisanga is 4 EUR 😇... but tech have more exp no ?

Edited by arthurSam

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) :
ASCE+ HRLV

• Moderators

Well... if it's a tech driven clinic where the Dr just shows his face once in a while during the procedure then I'd say the techs are the most important because they are doing all the work. But if the Dr is designing the hairline, extracting the grafts, and making the incisions, then the Dr skill is extremely important. Of course the techs would still need to be great too because they are handling the grafts and usually they are the ones implanting them, so really in most cases it takes a great team that works well together.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.