How many grafts do I need? Different doctors give vastly different views...

Hey everyone

Long time lurker here.

I have finally decided to get a HT. I hope to get it done during late 2024. 

I am 25 years old. Been on finasteride. My hair loss has completely stabilised. I no longer lose hair but i would like regrowth.

As you can see on the pictures, my hair loss is primarily at the crown and at the left temple.

I spoke with several doctors and have gotten grafts estimation from 2000 to 4000 grafts. I have spoken with Dr Turan, Dr Pekiner, Dr Keser and Dr Gur. 

How many grafts do you think i need for full coverage at the crown, to fill my left temple and maybe lower my hairline a little bit?

R means right side

L means left side

Thanks a lot, also for all the other great work that is on this forum🙏🙏

20240121_152547.jpg

20240121_152913.jpg

20240121_152929.jpg

20240205_201008.jpg

20240205_201000.jpg

20240203_091221.jpg

20240203_091223.jpg

20240121_152947.jpg

20240121_152459.jpg

Edited by BaldYe

I think that you would need 2000/2500 grafts for the hair line and the frontal third alone. If you take into account the thinning area on the crown, we might be talking 3000-3500 grafts

Edited by Eli_Avdikian

You should wait a couple more years before getting a hairtransplant. You are to young and even with medication your hairloss will progress further. I would suggest to stay on medication and revisit the idea of having a hairtransplant after your 30s.

1 hour ago, Eli_Avdikian said:

I think that you would need 2000/2500 grafts for the hair line and the frontal third alone. If you take into account the thinning area on the crown, we might be talking 3000-3500 grafts

Thank you for your answer. Appreciate it.

10 minutes ago, jjalay said:

You should wait a couple more years before getting a hairtransplant. You are to young and even with medication your hairloss will progress further. I would suggest to stay on medication and revisit the idea of having a hairtransplant after your 30s.

I have been waiting for a few years now. My hair loss has stabilised and there is also no regrowth anymore. So it is completely stable.

Do you still think I should wait a bit?

Thanks

1 minute ago, BaldYe said:

Btw i am on fin since 2021. I am still using it 

You are 25, in the next 5-7 years your hair may change dramatically, even if you are on finasteride. I!ve seen cases like yours where people went to a NW 5 at the age of 30. I think you should wait and preserve this graft in order to make a better plan in the future. If you use a large amount of grafts for the crown now for example and loose your native hair in the front and midscalp in the coming years this will have zero estethic benefit.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, jjalay said:

You are 25, in the next 5-7 years your hair may change dramatically, even if you are on finasteride. I!ve seen cases like yours where people went to a NW 5 at the age of 30. I think you should wait and preserve this graft in order to make a better plan in the future. If you use a large amount of grafts for the crown now for example and loose your native hair in the front and midscalp in the coming years this will have zero estethic benefit.

👆 This is a real worry

The thought of undergoing surgery, especially for someone in their twenties, can be quite concerning.

I am not fear mongering, nor did @jjalay

Imho If you are considering hair transplant surgery, it should only be done if you have compelling reasons and if your hair loss is very stable plus there is no family history of advanced hair loss.

Even if you opt for surgery, it is wise to be very conservative and save grafts for potential future loss. It's wise not to touch the crown area and focus solely on enhancing your existing hairline without lowering it.

I hope this helps you. Good Luck.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

8 hours ago, BaldYe said:

Thank you for your answer. Appreciate it.

I have been waiting for a few years now. My hair loss has stabilised and there is also no regrowth anymore. So it is completely stable.

Do you still think I should wait a bit?

Thanks

Obviously yes, wait for few more years. Don't rush into HT now.

MPB is quite unpredictable, hence better wait till you turn thirty and then explore your option.

In the meantime, continue your medications and keep monitoring your hair

Some great advice above.

I completely understand that it is not the feedback that you are looking for your and motivations and desires are to move forward with surgery, but the idea of being stable at 25 even with medication is unlikely to be honest, considering the pattern of decline that your photos present.

The feedback provided by other members is intended purely in your best interests and with the long term as priority.

I have seen guys at 30 who use meds and feel that their loss is stable and then to be in quite a different situation at 35.

You are a young guy with some degree of loss and/or decline essentially from hairline to crown.

Good to hear that you are committed to Finasteride and tolerate that well. To maximise the potential benefits of medication and to see if you may be able to achieve any improvement with medication, perhaps consider looking into minoxidil and discuss that with your doctor and hold off the idea of surgery for the next years.

Proceeding with surgery at this stage, to experience further decline over the next years may leave transplanted areas disconnected from native hair, a hairline proposed at current may not be what would be appropriate at 30 with additional loss. 

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Thanks a lot for all the thoughtfull comments.

I have been on finasteride since i was 19. My hair loss was very severe back then.

During the first two years of fin, i regrew some hair and kept all the existing hair.

So I really feel that my hair loss has completly stabilised since 2021. 

But i will consider your comments. Thanks a lot

• Valued Contributor
5 hours ago, BaldYe said:

Thanks a lot for all the thoughtfull comments.

I have been on finasteride since i was 19. My hair loss was very severe back then.

During the first two years of fin, i regrew some hair and kept all the existing hair.

So I really feel that my hair loss has completly stabilised since 2021. 

But i will consider your comments. Thanks a lot

You might want to first try oral minoxidil at 2.5mg. You don't actually have that much hair loss, and the areas that are thinning could well bounce back by combining finasteride with oral minox. You have a lot of hair to keep (and maybe improve) and you're young - surgery should be the very last port of call.