Wait OR Proceed with a HT?

Hi guys,

Need your suggestions.

I am considering a HT and have been in touch with a few of the forum's recommended Surgeons.

I have been told that my condition isn't really bad at this stage and I'll need about 2000-2500 grafts for my hairline, temple and crown areas.

I have been on Minoxidil for the past 6 months (I know that's barely any time) and have never used Fenisteride. I also know that I have to continue Minoxidil and start Fenisteride whether I get a HT now or in the future (I am 31).

My question is, should I get a HT right now or wait a couple of years more and start medication meanwhile? I am leaning towards getting the HT now and starting medication right after. This way I think (please correct me if I'm wrong), I can fix my current problem areas and prevent future loss of my native hairs through medication. Is this the right approach or is there any other con of getting a Hair Transplant right now when my condition isn't very serious (I would rather have it handled now than get to that stage).

The few doctors I have talked to (their offices) have also suggested that I can go for HT now and then start medications.

Thank you in advance, everyone!

Snapchat-1904817669.jpg

Snapchat-138451704.jpg

Snapchat-387895585.jpg

IMG-20240216-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20240216-WA0000.jpg

40 minutes ago, Teejay12 said:

Hi guys,

Need your suggestions.

I am considering a HT and have been in touch with a few of the forum's recommended Surgeons.

I have been told that my condition isn't really bad at this stage and I'll need about 2000-2500 grafts for my hairline, temple and crown areas.

I have been on Minoxidil for the past 6 months (I know that's barely any time) and have never used Fenisteride. I also know that I have to continue Minoxidil and start Fenisteride whether I get a HT now or in the future (I am 31).

My question is, should I get a HT right now or wait a couple of years more and start medication meanwhile? I am leaning towards getting the HT now and starting medication right after. This way I think (please correct me if I'm wrong), I can fix my current problem areas and prevent future loss of my native hairs through medication. Is this the right approach or is there any other con of getting a Hair Transplant right now when my condition isn't very serious (I would rather have it handled now than get to that stage).

The few doctors I have talked to (their offices) have also suggested that I can go for HT now and then start medications.

Thank you in advance, everyone!

Snapchat-1904817669.jpg

Snapchat-138451704.jpg

Snapchat-387895585.jpg

IMG-20240216-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20240216-WA0000.jpg

In my opinion, you can follow any approach between these two.

1. start medication and give at least 10-12 months to see how it responds, and take a decision 

2. Or go for a ht for the frontal part only and start medications, because if you address that particular crown area, shock loss can happen. It might make your crown even worse. 

2 hours ago, Shadman said:

In my opinion, you can follow any approach between these two.

1. start medication and give at least 10-12 months to see how it responds, and take a decision 

2. Or go for a ht for the frontal part only and start medications, because if you address that particular crown area, shock loss can happen. It might make your crown even worse. 

Hey, thank you for your input. Appreciate it!

I'm not leaning towards any particular option anymore - it's now a toss up. But would love to hear some other opinions too.

How old are you? Sorry just saw that in your post. Your hair looks fine to me. Why risk having schockloss, permanent scarring or bad growth when most of the bald people would kill to have your hair? I would suggest not having a ht, stay on medication and rethink about it if your hairloss progresses further.

Edited by jjalay

10 hours ago, jjalay said:

How old are you? Sorry just saw that in your post. Your hair looks fine to me. Why risk having schockloss, permanent scarring or bad growth when most of the bald people would kill to have your hair? I would suggest not having a ht, stay on medication and rethink about it if your hairloss progresses further.

Wish I had started Finisteraide earlier. But planning to start medication now. If Finisteraide can stop further hair loss, then that's great and I can evaluate HT in the future if I want to regain the hair already lost.

Thank you for your suggestion

• Valued Contributor

I would definitely commence finsteride now through your GP. You have so much hair to keep! Conversely you also have so much hair to lose by not being on meds. I would give finasteride six months at a bare minimum to see if you can stabalize your loss. Then you can plan surgery accordingly. All the best!

• Valued Contributor

You've got mountains of hair and therefore do not need to rush into a surgery at all.

Longer term combination of oral minoxidil in combination with finasteride would give you a fantastic chance of not only hanging on to the hair you have, but maybe even recovering some of your lost ground. You might not ever need surgery, but you do need to the give the medication some serious legs (12 months minimum).

Surgery should always be the last resort of anyone, but especially those who have so much hair to work with still.

Another consideration for anybody who may have the approach in mind of having surgery and then beginning medication, is that they never know if they can tolerate the medication. Therefore any surgical approach that may be influenced by the idea of long term commitment to a particular medication, it really is more sensible to begin the medication beforehand to see how you may respond and tolerate the medication. Only then will you know if you are able to and comfortable with committing to it for the long term.

• Like 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hello everyone,

Just want to say that I really appreciate all of your suggestions. Thank you!

I was on the verge of booking a HT appointment, but have decided to start medication (Finasteride) first and then evaluate maybe 12/24 months later.

Just have another couple of questions:

1) What dosing regiment should I follow for Finasteride? 

2) Should I also get regular hair PRP treatments? Is it all hype or is it something that will supplement the medication?

• Like 1