15 Months since Botched HT -- How Do I Look?

Well fellas it's been about 15 months since my botched hair mill procedure. Everything should be done growing in by now or close to it. These pics were all taken after a recent haircut in fairly intense light. How does the hair that's grown in look? Do you think this can be repaired? How many grafts for full coverage? How does the donor look? (This was supposed to be "full coverage, front to back, with 3800 grafts". 🤣)

Obviously I'll need to talk to a legit hair surgeon about these things, but I was also interested in what you guys had to say.

20231223_174022.jpg

20231223_174015.jpg

20231223_174018.jpg

20231223_174024.jpg

20231223_174012.jpg

20231223_174026.jpg

20231223_174029.jpg

20231229_063935.jpg

20231223_175919.jpg

Edited by Oxiborick

Donor looks pretty decent for 3500-3800 grafts taken. Let's hope they just lied to you and they just took significantly less. I think it can be repaired but you need to make a very efficient use of your grafts now.

29 minutes ago, Stoner said:

Donor looks pretty decent for 3500-3800 grafts taken. Let's hope they just lied to you and they just took significantly less. I think it can be repaired but you need to make a very efficient use of your grafts now.

You can see what they took out in this thread, in the pictures in the first post: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/66383-say-it-aint-so

The going theory on that thread was that they took out 3800 but transected so many that they were only able to place like half of these (and then lied to me about it). So if the grafts were transected by the owner's idiot unqualified non-surgeon wife who did the procedure they stood a very good chance of growing back since the root wasn't destroyed.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

Did you have FUT or FUE?

FUE. Feel like taking a charity case, Dr. Charles? 🤣 (kidding)

Details in this thread. It was a weird experience.

Edited by Oxiborick

The reality is you have a large area of hair loss and appears the you have relatively fine hair. You already have 3800 grafts removed from donor area ( who knows how many where successful). It is debatable whether you were even a good candidate for FUE in the first place.Therefore you might want to consider FUT which generally can produce more grafts in a single session and does not thin out the donor area like FUE does. Keep in mind I offer both FUT and FUE so I am just telling you the way I see it. That doesn't mean that if other doctors see it differently they are wrong.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

The reality is you have a large area of hair loss and appears the you have relatively fine hair. You already have 3800 grafts removed from donor area ( who knows how many where successful). It is debatable whether you were even a good candidate for FUE in the first place.Therefore you might want to consider FUT which generally can produce more grafts in a single session and does not thin out the donor area like FUE does. Keep in mind I offer both FUT and FUE so I am just telling you the way I see it. That doesn't mean that if other doctors see it differently they are wrong.

Yeah I've always thought that FUT would definitely be the way to go. How do you think my donor area looks now? It doesn't look like 3800 grafts were taken out to me, but I'm no expert. Others have said that they probably had a very high transection rate, meaning that about half the grafts were lost (hence the relative few grafts I actually got placed) but would probably grow back since their roots were not destroyed. I have no idea if there's anything to that though.

I will say that the 1500~2000 grafts I did get did seem to actually grow in, so it wasn't a total loss.

• Administrators

Your donor still looks in decent shape. Thankfully, it looks like the grafts didn’t grow. Which you should consider a blessing. Look for surgeons that do large cases. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Your donor still looks in decent shape. Thankfully, it looks like the grafts didn’t grow. Which you should consider a blessing. Look for surgeons that do large cases. 

Oh no, the grafts I did get did indeed grow, this I know for sure. There were only about 1500 but they did grow in; I used to have a totally smooth crown and substantially less in the front. I wish I had some better "before" pictures but anyway the procedure basically took me from a Norwood 6 to a Norwood 5. (I did get extremely lucky though in that many people operated on by McTyre's wife end up getting nerves yanked out of their heads, that sort of thing.)