what is your opinion on the new norwood scale dr.pittella is using?

• Administrators

I think its amazing. I hope more doctors start using this, as it is way more precise.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Pittella's results on here are so good I sometimes think should i go to him above Zarev.

Zarev has the scalp grafts advantage & looks more longterm & his location was the deciding factor for me.

But Pittella aggressive approach is brillant he uses so many grafts but incrediblke results

It’s no coincidence both him and Zarev appear to use their own versions of super high tech software during the planning stage 

Both obviously elite surgeons but it also highlights just how important this stage is to the end result. With these two you feel every single strand of hair on the scalp is accounted for. 

Like with any improvements in the field evolution is key, his new scale is a product of that. Would be interesting to see a more in depth reasoning and how he categorises.  

1 hour ago, jjalay said:

Never start with such fue megasessions, with this level of baldness the smart thing to do is to start with fut. This will always be the gold standard.

Disagree.  Today, there are almost no benefits to doing FUT, unless you have extra high skin laxity.  Otherwise, the graft difference is minimal.  The benefits to FUE are tons though.

Edited by Fue3361

Check out my journey here:

4 hours ago, ScottishGuy21 said:

It’s no coincidence both him and Zarev appear to use their own versions of super high tech software during the planning stage 

Both obviously elite surgeons but it also highlights just how important this stage is to the end result. With these two you feel every single strand of hair on the scalp is accounted for. 

Like with any improvements in the field evolution is key, his new scale is a product of that. Would be interesting to see a more in depth reasoning and how he categorises.  

and then you have hairmills where the whole evaluation process takes to 2min and mostly is just a guy drawing a hairline quickly lol

4 hours ago, ScottishGuy21 said:

I really dont see any big revolution to it. The donor area and the number of grafts every patient has available for a hairtransplant is still the same. I have seen many megasessions from these two doctors where the donor area afterthat doesnt look in the best shape. I am sure that without flash and in daylight it will look even worse.

2 hours ago, jjalay said:

I really dont see any big revolution to it. The donor area and the number of grafts every patient has available for a hairtransplant is still the same. I have seen many megasessions from these two doctors where the donor area afterthat doesnt look in the best shape. I am sure that without flash and in daylight it will look even worse.

show me surgeons who have comparable results to dr zarev when it comes to norwood 6/7

19 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

show me surgeons who have comparable results to dr zarev when it comes to norwood 6/7

Hasson and Wong fut megasessiong, they managed to turn a NW 6 patient to full coverage with 6000 grafts and the donor looking untouched. For many years now.

Being able to get a yield of 12/13’000 grafts and turning NW7s consistently into full coverage is breaking new boundaries. The donors still look ok considering the small area that amount of grafts are plucked from

H&W have been very good for a long time now however for Nw 6/7s they don’t have the consistency or volume these two have.

Edited by ScottishGuy21

38 minutes ago, ScottishGuy21 said:

Being able to get a yield of 12/13’000 grafts and turning NW7s consistently into full coverage is breaking new boundaries. The donors still look ok considering the small area that amount of grafts are plucked from

H&W have been very good for a long time now however for Nw 6/7s they don’t have the consistency or volume these two have.

Are you kidding me? H&W are doing HTs since 2002 and megasessions with over 6000 grafts for NW-7 cases for over 15 years now. You will find hunderts of cases from them with fut megasession, with the donor area looking untouched and better coverage that Zarev or Pitella. Zarev and Pitella are reinventing the wheel now but not with the right tools.

• Moderators

If I'm looking at it right this was 270 cm2 was equal to NW 9.22. That means I would be between a NW 13 and NW 14.

It looks like it would change depending on where you put the hairline, so I don't know if it works for a NW scale chart, but it's probably great for what he seems to use it as which is to determine the amount of area to be covered and how many grafts it will take.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

If I'm looking at it right this was 270 cm2 was equal to NW 9.22. That means I would be between a NW 13 and NW 14.

It looks like it would change depending on where you put the hairline, so I don't know if it works for a NW scale chart, but it's probably great for what he seems to use it as which is to determine the amount of area to be covered and how many grafts it will take.

Right, this is completely changing the norwood scale. I think its a lot more accurate in terms of hair restoration. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

3 hours ago, jjalay said:

Are you kidding me? H&W are doing HTs since 2002 and megasessions with over 6000 grafts for NW-7 cases for over 15 years now. You will find hunderts of cases from them with fut megasession, with the donor area looking untouched and better coverage that Zarev or Pitella. Zarev and Pitella are reinventing the wheel now but not with the right tools.

Sorry I was talking about FUE procedures.

Naturally with a FUT mega session so long as the scar is is done right it will be less visible. I’ve seen some sketchy scars from H&W too though so it isn’t a home run every time. But along with Hattingen they are the best around for FUT

• Administrators

You need to go by the cm2 of the balding area . This is different for every patient because head shape and size changes. 

That’s why the old scale is outdated and irrelevant to individual patients. To know the exact number of grafts you need to go by the individual balding areas including the transitional zones.

@Bandit90 posted a really good post concerning head shape. This is why it’s so outdated to think all Norwood 6s require _of grafts. It really needs to be tailored to the individual. 

Analogy: You need to paint three bedrooms. If you go to the paint store, they’re gonna ask you for the square footage of those rooms. Why? Because three small bedrooms will take less paint, then 3 big bedrooms. You need to know the square footage to accurately know how much paint you’re going to need. Same principle applies to our donor and scalp. 

View my thread