Oral Minoxidil 1.25mg (is it enough?)

Oral Minoxidil 1.25mg (is it enough?)

Hey there,

I've been taking Finasteride for two years, and I just got a hair transplant. My doctor suggested adding 1.25mg oral Minoxidil to help my new hair grow well and thicken the rest of my hair.

I'm curious if anyone else is on the low 1.25mg oral Minoxidil, and if you're seeing good results. I've noticed most people are using 2.5 to 5mg.

Thanks!

• Valued Contributor

@alexmillne does your doctor want you to trial this dose for a while, to see if you develop any side effects from it and if not, will he then increase the dose? It could be a good idea just to see if you get any side effects for the first month or two. I would then go back to your doctor and ask him to life it to 2.5mg (I'm not a doctor). I'm on 5mg of oral minoxidil. I did start though on 2.5mg for the first three months. Fortunately I don't have any sides from taking this medication. All the best.

• Like 1

I would love taking 1.25 but ufortunately I can't break the pill. 
At the moment, I'm at 2.5 every other day and  I have puffy face, periorbital edema and forehead wrinkles.
It is like I am 10 yrs older....
some docs suggest to use spironolactone (50) to avoid puffiness (speciale bonus: spiro acts like a mild antiandrogen). Maybe I'll give a try

• Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, duchaine said:

I would love taking 1.25 but ufortunately I can't break the pill. 
At the moment, I'm at 2.5 every other day and  I have puffy face, periorbital edema and forehead wrinkles.
It is like I am 10 yrs older....
some docs suggest to use spironolactone (50) to avoid puffiness (speciale bonus: spiro acts like a mild antiandrogen). Maybe I'll give a try

Spironolactone is recommended for women only generally for hair loss. It lowers your anagens which as a male may not be a good idea. If you are experiencing side effects of low dose oral minoxidil then it might be worth speaking with your doctor and discontinuing it.