2nd hair transplant takes slower to grow: True or Myth?

2 hours ago, curiou said:

Hello everyone. Is it true that result of 2nd HT takes longer? I would like to hear some opinions and discuss it. 

great question, I’ve seen this somewhere before but I don’t know if there is any truth to it 

5 hours ago, curiou said:

Hello everyone. Is it true that result of 2nd HT takes longer? I would like to hear some opinions and discuss it. 

No.  I do agree patients tend to question the results of the second procedure a lot more than the first.   Particularly for patients that start with nothing.  It might be due to the fact that on the first one you go from nothing to something.  Once there's hair in the area, the second one will not be as dramatic.  

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

I wondered this too. I’d read that scar tissue from the first transplant could delay hairs breaking through the scalp in the second (assuming they’re both in the same area).

in my case it’s hard to tell. I’d say anecdotally my second is slower than my first, but my second was also mainly in the crown which has a poorer blood supply. It’s also hard to tells since in the first I could see every hair that grew and now they’re hidden by the first.

• Like 1

It can grow slower if you had crown procedure due to slower blood stream.

I had 4 HTs and my crown result was slower, but it's not necessary with everyone.

• Like 1

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

Thank you for your answers, guys. 

2 hours ago, Doron Harati said:

It can grow slower if you had crown procedure due to slower blood stream.

I had 4 HTs and my crown result was slower, but it's not necessary with everyone.

How slower was your crown result? Considering statistics, in month 8-10 patient usually gets his results close to maximum.

Thanks guys. Gathering all your responses leads me to conclusion that second HT goes as usual (except the crown).

So that leads me to another question: if a doctor says that second HT takes longer as a rule of thumb, then should he be marked as "not competent"? 

I don't think that's the case. I doubt there's been any studies to assess growth, so everyone is going on anecdotal evidence.

Everyone can also be correct. If more people do front first and crown second, then second transplants do grow slower, but if reversed, the second would grow quicker than the first.

I wouldn't overthink it, or use this to determine which doctor you choose.

The problem is, I'm afraid, that doctor uses this statement as an excuse for a poor result. I already did second HT, it'll soon reach 1 year mark. And result is not quite good even in anagen syncronization phase. 

Edited by curiou
  • Sad 1

@curiou,

Theres no real evidence that subsequent hair transplant procedures take longer to grow than the first although there are a few variables that may affect this.  For example, hair transplant repair procedures may take a little longer if hair is being transplanted into scar tissue. Also, if you’ve gone to a different surgeon for your second procedure, it may take a little longer or even grow in a little faster depending on exactly how they are performing the procedure.  For example, the depth of the incision may vary From clinic to clinic and this may affect how quickly the newly transplanted hair begins to pop through the scalp.

However, assuming all variables are the same, normal subsequent hair transplant procedures simply take about the same length of time as the first one. It may seem like it takes longer for the same reasons others mentioned above but the actual procedure and process takes about the same length of time whether it’s the first procedure time in the second, etc.  

Best wishes,

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.