Is it a mistake to go with Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong?

I'm located in the US, and I'm interested in a HT to treat my "fivehead". I don't think you would describe me as a Norwood II, I just have a high but otherwise intact hairline. I tolerate finasteride well (have been taking it for 2 years with no sides) and so I've been looking at FUE options. My first thought was Dr. Konior, but he's out of my price range unfortunately. After that I had it narrowed down to Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong in Thailand and Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minnesota. But Dr. Laorwong seems just too good to be true – great price, great availability, and seems to be highly respected. I expect if I went to Dr. Shapiro I'd pay more and have to wait longer. Then again, something tells me that it might not be the best idea to go to Thailand for this. It just feels "sketchy" in a way that going to American docs doesn't. What do you all think?

If I were in your position and this was my first transplant, I'd feel strange as well going all the way over to Bangkok and getting the surgery done for cheaper than it costs in America. However, I think Laorwong has proven himself to be a great doctor, especially with the recent results of Archan and Jamos. And the price he charges is pretty expensive for Thai standards, but obviously it's considered cheap for Westerners.

I went to him for repair surgery and I was in a riskier situation than you because I don't think there were any repair patients documented from him, but he did a great job. When I first went to his office back in late January or February, there were mostly Thai patients who seemed to be getting laser light therapy treatment. I was just in his office last week and it's much more busier now. I saw at least three foreign patients wearing black bandanas like some hair transplant biker gang.

Edited by AlexMeister21

8 hours ago, pettykinship said:

I'm located in the US, and I'm interested in a HT to treat my "fivehead". I don't think you would describe me as a Norwood II, I just have a high but otherwise intact hairline. I tolerate finasteride well (have been taking it for 2 years with no sides) and so I've been looking at FUE options. My first thought was Dr. Konior, but he's out of my price range unfortunately. After that I had it narrowed down to Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong in Thailand and Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minnesota. But Dr. Laorwong seems just too good to be true – great price, great availability, and seems to be highly respected. I expect if I went to Dr. Shapiro I'd pay more and have to wait longer. Then again, something tells me that it might not be the best idea to go to Thailand for this. It just feels "sketchy" in a way that going to American docs doesn't. What do you all think?

put it this way, in Australia we have no decent HT doctors and the cheaper option of Laorwong in Thailand is more effortful but gets a much better result - effortful in the sense you have to book flights, organise places to stay, deal with some language barrier issues. But the quality of his work is better than 99% of other HT places out there and he has been pumping out great results to the forum members here lately. And I would say for most people the extra effort is worth it given this is a procedure that you have to see every time you look in the mirror - may as well give it the greatest chance of success!

I've heard/seen Konior is great also but very pricey. I haven't looked into Ron Shapiro so can't comment.

Edited by hairman4321

• Administrators

They both excellent doctors. What’s more important cost or convenience? That should help you decide.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I traveled from the US to Thailand to have Dr. Laorwong do my hair transplant.  The experience has been well documented and was highly professional and consistent.  I'm only 8 weeks out so can't offer any outcomes but there have been many documented online and his website.  My review led me to conclude the effort to get there was worth the value/quality combo.  I do get the worry about traveling across the globe.  Good luck with you decision.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2023 at 9:54 AM, Sunset Dune said:

He seems to be a good doctor however going to Thailand for a HT just seems sketchy…If I were you I would personally just save up and go to Konior to be on the safe side or H&W in Canada. 

I would never choose H&W. Many poor results from them over the last years.

Konior seems more safe than H&W, but 35.000USD (or whatever he charges) is just crazy. 
I have also studied many of his results, and I can’t say they are better than Laorwong.

In a given scenario where price and location were the same, I would choose Laorwong any day.

4 hours ago, toon_toon said:

I would never choose H&W. Many poor results from them over the last years.

Konior seems more safe than H&W, but 35.000USD (or whatever he charges) is just crazy. 
I have also studied many of his results, and I can’t say they are better than Laorwong.

In a given scenario where price and location were the same, I would choose Laorwong any day.

That’s your opinion, a few results you may have seen online doesn’t change the fact that H&W are still one of the best clinics in the world. 

Comparing Laorwong to Konior is insane, they aren’t even on the same level. No offense to anyone who went to Laorwong, he was virtually unheard of just a few years ago and the thought of going to Thailand for a HT doesn’t sound like the best idea.

5 hours ago, Sunset Dune said:

That’s your opinion, a few results you may have seen online doesn’t change the fact that H&W are still one of the best clinics in the world. 

Comparing Laorwong to Konior is insane, they aren’t even on the same level. No offense to anyone who went to Laorwong, he was virtually unheard of just a few years ago and the thought of going to Thailand for a HT doesn’t sound like the best idea.

All the US docs are overrated and overpriced. 
Konior was maybe considered as one of the best many years ago, but things evolve. Can find many examples of that, and how bad he copes with negative feedback.

When it comes to H&W there are so many "horror stories" about them. Some examples attached here, and there are many more.

examples:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HairTransplants/s/DS6PEeZWwN

https://www.reddit.com/r/HairTransplants/s/BFi58OgyoH

https://www.reddit.com/r/HairTransplants/s/BFi58OgyoH
This one one of the worst post op I’ve ever seen (Rows)

https://www.reddit.com/r/HairTransplants/s/gxMWNbUmDx

And why is it a bad idea to go to Thailand for a HT, if you use one of the best in the game, like Dr. Path or Dr. Laorwong?

Off course  there are bad clinics in Thailand as well, but the same goes for other countries. You just need to pick your surgeon by quality and not get attached to a geographic mindset.