secret sauce to reducing redness after a transplant

Rec.M

The redness after a transplant is something im trying to get my head around as a fear (assuming the HT all goes OK!)

Is there any consensus on what can help? How do you explain the redness if trying to hide the transplant from people? Ant insights much appreciated.

I think it is has a lot to do with your skin type. I’m 7 weeks and it’s still red. I mostly wear a hat but with holidays coming up I’ve been thinking about explaining this. Most people know nothing about hair medicine or transplants so just going to tell people I’ve been putting medicine on my head to help with hair loss and it’s making it red. Im not sure where you are but I’m sure everyone has noticed I’m losing my hair over the last 10 years so easy to say it for me. The post transplant months sure are hard!

51 minutes ago, Cooper48 said:

I think it is has a lot to do with your skin type. I’m 7 weeks and it’s still red. I mostly wear a hat but with holidays coming up I’ve been thinking about explaining this. Most people know nothing about hair medicine or transplants so just going to tell people I’ve been putting medicine on my head to help with hair loss and it’s making it red. Im not sure where you are but I’m sure everyone has noticed I’m losing my hair over the last 10 years so easy to say it for me. The post transplant months sure are hard!

Damn that's an excellent point! Most people do have no idea about hair transplants so saying the redness is caused by medication may be enough to expalin it and move on. That's pretty good 👌

At 7 weeks, has the 'ugly duckling' phase started yet?

• Valued Contributor

After my second surgery in January I had quite a bit of redness to be honest for several months. It will disappear. You just have to be patient. You could always tell people that you have dermatitis or something similar. All the best!

• Valued Contributor

If you're intending to explain the redness to people in some way, why not just say you had a HT? Much better option that coming up with a lie. I'd say either just don't address it at all (unless someone else brings it up), or save yourself the stress and be open about it. Trying to hide it from people will be a much bigger weight on your shoulders than just owning it. 99.99% of people will be really interested and supportive.

I'm 7 weeks in and still fairly red though it seems t have gotten noticeably better the last few weeks. All depends on your skin type. More hair sprouting on scalp helps hide the redness as well. I found this BB cream to work VERY well to hide the redness as compared to other things I've tried. My Dr ( Nader ) approved but I only use when absolutely needed and wash immediately after.

https://www.amazon.com/LOréal-Paris-Beautifier-Moisturizer-Anti-Redness/dp/B00L2SNFPQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2P0PVEHG1PHFP&keywords=bb%2Bcream%2Bredness&qid=1700004540&sprefix=bb%2Bcream%2Brednes%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-5&th=1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 7:58 PM, Gatsby said:

After my second surgery in January I had quite a bit of redness to be honest for several months. It will disappear. You just have to be patient. You could always tell people that you have dermatitis or something similar. All the best!

Tell them you are a hot head :)

On 11/14/2023 at 11:38 PM, Cospine said:

I'm 7 weeks in and still fairly red though it seems t have gotten noticeably better the last few weeks. All depends on your skin type. More hair sprouting on scalp helps hide the redness as well. I found this BB cream to work VERY well to hide the redness as compared to other things I've tried. My Dr ( Nader ) approved but I only use when absolutely needed and wash immediately after.

https://www.amazon.com/LOréal-Paris-Beautifier-Moisturizer-Anti-Redness/dp/B00L2SNFPQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2P0PVEHG1PHFP&keywords=bb%2Bcream%2Bredness&qid=1700004540&sprefix=bb%2Bcream%2Brednes%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-5&th=1

Thanks for this. I think I would be just too paranoid to risk anything like this.

On 11/23/2023 at 1:32 PM, BaldV said:

I still have redness 2 years after my hair transplant, sometimes redness doesnt leave and unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it

woah thanks for letting me know. I thought it always went. So it can be like the fun scars, and just stay.