Perez Hilton with 3 Transplants.. Yet Losing Hair.. Someone Explain?

• Valued Contributor
2 minutes ago, wprevil said:

Yeah thanks boss, I greatly appreciate that. But what about the $$$$ I already sent the clinic? It aint peanuts ya know.

It's totally your decision as I have previously stated and I can't tell you who to have surgery with and will there be permanent shock loss, etc. You have to weigh up the cost of the deposit versus regretting ever having surgery (because every surgery has risks). It might well be the best $7k you ever spent on not having a permanent/life altering procedure. Look at my journey and where I started. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Again at the end of the day only you can know if surgery is the right option for you at the moment. All the best.

• Valued Contributor

@wprevil

Hair transplants do not provide a definitive solution for hair loss; they address a different aspect of the issue. Hair loss can typically only be halted or controlled through medication. While hair transplant surgery can introduce new hairs to areas with limited or no hair, existing hairs may thin or fall out if your scalp's DHT levels are high. The transplanted hairs can also thin or fall out over time if there is excessive scalp DHT activity, which is why doctors often prescribe medications that need to be taken long-term.

It's important to understand that hair transplant surgery is not a guaranteed fix; it has its limitations. The success of a hair transplant varies from person to person, and it's crucial to assess the risk-to-reward ratio for your specific case. Communicate your goals clearly with your doctor to determine if they can be realistically achieved. Additionally, be prepared for the possibility of multiple procedures, as more than 50% of individuals may require them.

I don't mean to be fear-inducing or causing undue concerns but i rather want to provide a comprehensive view of what to consider when contemplating hair transplant surgery. I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process.

I hope this helps you.

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

8 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

@wprevil

It's important to understand that hair transplant surgery is not a guaranteed fix; it has its limitations. The success of a hair transplant varies from person to person, and it's crucial to assess the risk-to-reward ratio for your specific case. Communicate your goals clearly with your doctor to determine if they can be realistically achieved. Additionally, be prepared for the possibility of multiple procedures, as more than 50% of individuals may require them.

Appreciate your views. Regarding communicating with my doc, we had a phone chat in which he said I was a good candidate from my good donor area. He said he can supplement the procedure with PRP in ensure blood/oxygen of native hair blood vessels arent cannibalized by those of the transplanted hairs (shock loss). He also said he would add distance between the native from transplanted hair to help reduce shock loss.

I wont I'll get another transplant if I elect to get one in the first place, fyi.

Hair transplants aint no joke, that much we agree. Just a tough decision to make especially with no crystal ball around.

When you spoke to the surgeon did he mention planning your transplant with the consideration that you will not have future procedures and cannot use finasteride?

If you plan for the worst (your existing hair will decrease significantly over time), then you’ll want your remaining hair to not look unnatural (such as a really strong hairline and weak midscalp).

You have chosen a good surgeon, so I’m sure this will have been anticipated, assuming he understands your situation fully.

The are also other herbal remedies you may want to try to lower DHT as well as topical solutions that are less likely to go systemic.

My recommendation would be to arrange another call with him, hopefully you’ll be able to agree a mutually acceptable compromise whether than be a specific surgical plan, or helping refund some of your deposit.

• Valued Contributor
11 minutes ago, wprevil said:

Appreciate your views. Regarding communicating with my doc, we had a phone chat in which he said I was a good candidate from my good donor area. He said he can supplement the procedure with PRP in ensure blood/oxygen of native hair blood vessels arent cannibalized by those of the transplanted hairs (shock loss). He also said he would add distance between the native from transplanted hair to help reduce shock loss.

I wont I'll get another transplant if I elect to get one in the first place, fyi.

Hair transplants aint no joke, that much we agree. Just a tough decision to make especially with no crystal ball around.

Plan in detail like how much coverage do you wish to have, how much density you can achieve in one procedure ,what is the future if you don't take medication ,ask him/her if you will need any procedure in future if you don't take medication ,note down all the concerns you have and than explain him/her all the reservation/concerns you have regarding the surgery and see what he/she has to say about all this and than take your decision.

--> My Thread

23 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

Plan in detail like how much coverage do you wish to have, how much density you can achieve in one procedure ,what is the future if you don't take medication ,ask him/her if you will need any procedure in future if you don't take medication ,note down all the concerns you have and than explain him/her all the reservation/concerns you have regarding the surgery and see what he/she has to say about all this and than take your decision.

Thanks for the advice. Just so you know, Couto is my doc. I'm scheduled for 3000 grafts spaced out on 3 separate days or 1000 grafts/ day for those 3 days.

I already told him that I cant take any meds and he's ok with that.

He suggested that after my procedure, I not read up on, discuss or do any researching regarding shock loss, issues with transplants, etc. He says that can pump stress hormones which can exacerbate the results of the surgery. Its hard not to do these things since theyre on the forefront of my mind.

29 minutes ago, wprevil said:

Thanks for the advice. Just so you know, Couto is my doc. I'm scheduled for 3000 grafts spaced out on 3 separate days or 1000 grafts/ day for those 3 days.

He suggested that after my procedure, I not read up on, discuss or do any researching regarding shock loss, issues with transplants, etc. He says that can pump stress hormones which can exacerbate the results of the surgery. Its hard not to do these things since theyre on the forefront of my mind.

I think that’s good advice. Choose a brilliant doctor, explain the situation so he can treat you appropriately, and then trust him and the process.

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, wprevil said:

You have chosen very skilled and honest and ethical doctor ....

--> My Thread

7 hours ago, wprevil said:

Theres no argument. But with all due respect, I shouldn't have to repeat myself about not being able to take meds due to my medical issue after posting it. Then insisting its still a good idea to, defeats the purpose of my health.

Finasteride is not for everyone.  For example, I had chest hairs put into my hairline.  If I took Fin, which causes body hair to fall out, then my HT wouldn't have worked.  So there are circumstances where it's not going to be part of the plan for the patient.  Dr. Pittella is a surgeon who plans his designs as if the patient has no plans to be on Fin, whereas different ones might expect you to go onto it to not lose more native hair and alter the long term appearance.

Hopefully you are aware of what your "end destination" Norwood level is projected to be, if you were to take zero meds.  Then have your HT doc work as if you were at that future level of baldness.

Having a hair transplant will in no way stop balding hair from continuing on their trip to the Norwood Reaper.

We've seen bad results where patients get a lot planted in the frontal third, but then some years later, after their balding pattern continues, be left with strange looking clumps of transplanted hair with a large gap behind it from the newly opened real estate.

8 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

You have chosen very skilled and honest and ethical doctor ....

I hope so! I dont know the man as a doc but based on research he looks highly qualified. Lets just hope everything works should I decide on him. Thanks bro and I look forward to your future advice! Youre a god man!

Edited by wprevil

7 hours ago, AB2000 said:

We've seen bad results where patients get a lot planted in the frontal third, but then some years later, after their balding pattern continues, be left with strange looking clumps of transplanted hair with a large gap behind it from the newly opened real estate.

Appreciate the reply. So in my case the front is very sparse. That being the case, I dont think I have to worry about losing any native hairs in that area due to future hair loss since the grand majority of follicles will be transplanted. Hope this makes sense. But let me know what you think nonetheless.

Btw heres a shot of my front. Let me know what you think based on what I said:

333.thumb.jpg.0f02cb7e4b91767e4986665121807adf.jpg

Edited by wprevil

• Moderators

Perez Hilton wasn't bald to begin with. This is his "Before" picture. He only had a bit of thinning in the front. A minor hair transplant to fill it in made it look great, but he still kept losing the rest of his hair, so he had to have additional transplants to keep filling in the additional areas that kept thinning. Having a hair transplant doesn't stop the native hair from continuing to thin. If he hadn't had any hair transplants he'd probably be totally bald now.

image.png.8259fcf44eba50f746edd6e4e75b2c3f.png

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

7 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Perez Hilton wasn't bald to begin with. This is his "Before" picture. He only had a bit of thinning in the front. A minor hair transplant to fill it in made it look great, but he still kept losing the rest of his hair, so he had to have additional transplants to keep filling in the additional areas that kept thinning. Having a hair transplant doesn't stop the native hair from continuing to thin. If he hadn't had any hair transplants he'd probably be totally bald now.

image.png.8259fcf44eba50f746edd6e4e75b2c3f.png

Appreciate the feedback as it makes sense. Just trying to understand how the process works. I got a question. Do you think baldness happens to white guys like Perez more often than other groups? I ask because I dont see arabs and italians with hair loss.

Also I've seen homeless people with no hair loss. Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?

Edited by wprevil

4 hours ago, wprevil said:

Appreciate the feedback as it makes sense. Just trying to understand how the process works. I got a question. Do you think baldness happens to white guys like Perez more often than other groups? I ask because I dont see arabs and italians with hair loss.

Also I've seen homeless people with no hair loss. Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?

There are lots of Arabs and Italians with hair loss. 

Edited by Sunset Dune