oral minoxidil side effects

duchaine

I've always been a big fan of oral minoxidil (OM). I was one the the first using it in 2020.
So I am not trying to be alarming nor trying to blame OM but just trying to keep people aware of sides.
I used LONITEN from 2020 to late 2022. During the first month, I had a minor periorbital edema (ie. puffy eyes). It had a complete and spontaneous resolution after one month I continued to use the drug.

Since nov 2022, loniten is not available in Italy so I stopped.
After the stop stop, last week I bought it a galenic product (2.5 mg minoxidil). 
After 3 days I used it, I had a diffuse edema and a very evident periorbital edema (I attach pre and post pics).
After I  quitted oral minoxidil, everything turned well in a couple of days.
The doc can't say if it a simple swelling related to oral minoxidil (in literature, there similar cases https://www.actasdermo.org/es-translated-article-morning-periorbital-edema-articulo-S0001731023002417 ) or if it is an alergic reaction to some eccipient that was used in the pill.

one day after I quitted oral minoxidil.jpeg

before oral minoxidil.jpeg

Edited by duchaine
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Unfortunately, the main problem with minoxidil is a compounding mistake. I spoke to Dr. Vaño from Madrid, he said its almost always a compounding mistake. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Unfortunately, the main problem with minoxidil is a compounding mistake. I spoke to Dr. Vaño from Madrid, he said its almost always a compounding mistake. 

I suppose you are right.
Did you talk with him in a private conversation or do you have a video on YouTube?

2 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Hi melvin, do you mean they put too much in the pills, or it has this effect over time as it builds up?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, duchaine said:

I suppose you are right.
Did you talk with him in a private conversation or do you have a video on YouTube?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

Pfizer who make Loniten has now begun production again and after one year of stopping the drug Loniten is now available again in Australia as of last month. However if it gives you sides then it's wise to cease taking it. All the best.

9 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Pfizer who make Loniten has now begun production again and after one year of stopping the drug Loniten is now available again in Australia as of last month. However if it gives you sides then it's wise to cease taking it. All the best.

Thanks Gatsby.
In Italy it should be available since Jen 2024.
I never had problem with loniten, just a minor eyes swelling in 2020 for the first days.
My Heart rate (in my normal range + 5-10, but it still was in normal range) and all the other parameters were perfectly fine. 
I know it is hard to say what works and what doesn't when we use more than one treatment but in my experience the OM is the most powerful stuff for hair regrowth.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
52 minutes ago, duchaine said:

Thanks Gatsby.
In Italy it should be available since Jen 2024.
I never had problem with loniten, just a minor eyes swelling in 2020 for the first days.
My Heart rate (in my normal range + 5-10, but it still was in normal range) and all the other parameters were perfectly fine. 
I know it is hard to say what works and what doesn't when we use more than one treatment but in my experience the OM is the most powerful stuff for hair regrowth.

@duchaine I think I have to agree in that oral Minoxidil has been a game changer for me also. 🙏

• Like 1