Final pattern

I was reading an article written by William Rasmussen(hair surgeon) concerning final balding pattern. He said with his 30 years of experience that he can predict final balding pattern up to 80% at age 26 90% at age 30 and 95% at 35 years old. So if one is 35 years old and a NW 3 with no ther miniaturization wouldn’t it be logical to get as aggressive as they want with a transplant? 

2 hours ago, Recession1 said:

I was reading an article written by William Rasmussen(hair surgeon) concerning final balding pattern. He said with his 30 years of experience that he can predict final balding pattern up to 80% at age 26 90% at age 30 and 95% at 35 years old. So if one is 35 years old and a NW 3 with no ther miniaturization wouldn’t it be logical to get as aggressive as they want with a transplant? 

Who is William Rasmusses? He might have 30 years of experience but what kind of experience is what matters. A 35 years old NW§ can very well end up being a NW 5 at the age of 50 so i dont think it would be wise to proceed with an aggressive hairtransplant.

I agree you can lose more hair, but if you don’t have miniaturization in your donor at 35 chances are you aren’t going to NW 6 or 7. I think that’s why most docs don’t work on guys under 25. I think 25 plus they can tell based on your donor and miniaturization what pattern you are heading for… so I think there is a lot of truth in what he is saying. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Recession1 said:

I agree you can lose more hair, but if you don’t have miniaturization in your donor at 35 chances are you aren’t going to NW 6 or 7. I think that’s why most docs don’t work on guys under 25. I think 25 plus they can tell based on your donor and miniaturization what pattern you are heading for… so I think there is a lot of truth in what he is saying. 

I think you mean if you dont have any miniaturization in the recipient area then its unlikely that you will progress to a NW 6 or 7. Still there are cases of NW3 patients at 35 where they ahve progressed to a NW 5 at the age of 45, you dont know when the miniaturization begins and how the genetics work.

I think its really unethical to proceed with a hairtransplant for a patient under the age of 25. Its not only that you dont know how his hairloss will progress, this person is simply not mature enough and simply not ready to make such a dicesion for himself.

No I mean miniturization In the donor and recipient area . When you progress to a NW 6 or 7 your donor shrinks and doesn’t leave enough available grafts to chase your baldness. Obviously your crown can drop into your donor. Many surgeons wait until 25 to be able to map your future loss to see if your donor is miniaturizing and reciepeint  area and to see if your crown drops leaving you with less donor. Many surgeons i have gone to will check for miniaturization in your nape, donor, and temples and can predict better to what pattern you are going.  Almost all men who go to NW 6 and NW 7 their pattern is evident well before 30 years old. 

I was nw3 at 42yo and nw4 at 45. You can't predict anything 

Edited by arthurSam

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) : ASCE+ HRLV AAPE for Hair secretomes + human Umbilical Chord Exosomes

3 hours ago, Recession1 said:

Well, I also think that it can be predicted. Al though every individual is different also their hairloss pattern. But from my side I can say that every balding pattern has its peak if you can slow it down with medicines you can certainly stabilize it.

• Administrators

Norwood 6/7 is aggressive hair loss. Hair loss is accumulative. DHT gradually degrades your hair. In cases of extreme sensitivity, this occurs early on, when your DHT is the highest, i.e., late teens and early 20s. I have never seen a Norwood 6/7 develop out of thin air, there would be miniaturization guaranteed. Almost all Norwood 6s occur by 35. Norwood 7 I would say 99.9% develop by 35.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

11 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

I have never seen a Norwood 6/7 develop out of thin air, there would be miniaturization guaranteed. Almost all Norwood 6s occur by 35. Norwood 7 I would say 99.9% develop by 35.

I have a cousin recently that lost his finger in a workplace accident, and the physical stress or something else caused him to go from Norwood 1 thick hair to diffuse Norwood 6 in three-five months.

He is in his fifties

Edited by mister_25

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Alot of NW patterns are evident when you shave your head all over to a very short buzz cut.

Like at 25 i could see i was a potential Nw6 as i had lower crown thinning its why i requested a high enough hairline

Now im 33 it hasnt progressed much at all even just on minox but if i never shaved down my hair i would never have know i have thinning in that part than indicates a NW5-6 in the future & would have  a bit of a shock when getting an in person consultation.

So i agree if you shave your head to a short buzz its likely at 25-30 u can see your potential final pattern. 

If you see areas with no thinning at all over 30 its likely you wont every have DHT thinning in that area. More so age related thinning over the years rather than MPB.

Hairman22 wouldn’t it be just as effective to go to a hair doctor and have them use high magnification glasses to check for miniaturization as opposed to buzzing your head? I went to one and they told me bot niniturization, but wonder if buzzing hair down tells more of the story?  I wouldn’t think so but who knows 

• Administrators

Shaving is always advisable, especially because you’ve mentioned this as a possible solution. Who knows, maybe a shaved head works for you. You’ll never know until you try. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

20 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Norwood 6/7 is aggressive hair loss. Hair loss is accumulative. DHT gradually degrades your hair. In cases of extreme sensitivity, this occurs early on, when your DHT is the highest, i.e., late teens and early 20s. I have never seen a Norwood 6/7 develop out of thin air, there would be miniaturization guaranteed. Almost all Norwood 6s occur by 35. Norwood 7 I would say 99.9% develop by 35.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Travolta#/media/File:Travolta_05_(48686383962)_(cropped).jpg

John_Travolta_1997.jpg

Edited by jjalay

On 10/2/2023 at 11:15 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

this, however i think some might bald slow, meaning a norwood 6 pattern (that is about to fully show with 50) could not be noticable to the human eye - at lets say 30 - but it would be noticable under the microscope at this point

Edited by mr_peanutbutter

15 hours ago, jjalay said:

if you would have put him under a microscope that age, and you would have probably seen a ton of miniaturized hairs.

keep in mind the human eye dont recognize balding/thinning until more then 50% of density is gone in the area 

i wouldnt be suprised if had also developed some thinning at the back at this point that he covered with some fibers, its hollywood after all

Edited by mr_peanutbutter

here is a good overview of john travoltas hair development. he was born in 1954

https://pagesix.com/2015/02/23/john-travolta-a-hairline-timeline/#9

in the picture of 1989 thr norwood 6 pattern gets obvious to experienced norwood detectors due to the difference of density, he was 35 there. in the microscope you probably would have seen it earlier. however he keeps balding slowly and for the average joe it only becomes noticable ten years later in 1999

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Recession1 said:

Hairman22 wouldn’t it be just as effective to go to a hair doctor and have them use high magnification glasses to check for miniaturization as opposed to buzzing your head? I went to one and they told me bot niniturization, but wonder if buzzing hair down tells more of the story?  I wouldn’t think so but who knows 

Yeah for sure it can be seen under a miscrocope as well

On 10/2/2023 at 11:15 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

That's correct, my cousin is 29 and is NW7 already.

On 10/2/2023 at 4:15 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

Just so I understand, you're saying if you're not NW6 by 35 you aren't likely to ever become NW6?