will any reputable doctors perform on a 20 year old?

Outside of a hair mill, are there any of the more reputable doctors, throughout the U.S, Turkey, or else where that would do work on a 20 year old? It’s hairline work, about 1800 grafts give or take. Just curious, I have the money and as much as I want one as soon as possible I don’t want to go to a hair mill and get a bad job. I’m mainly looking to get a conservative hairline and in the future get further transplants if necessary. I’m on preventative meds, including both oral and topicals of minoxidil and finasteride. Are there any cases similar to mine? I’ve been doing research but can’t seem to find any.

Edit: added pictures of hair in case that is needed. the hairline pic is outdated but is roughly the same aside from the more miniaturized hairs being longer due to the meds. 

25BCA7EA-B443-4F18-9825-ED4A6A4AD219.jpeg

AC809A97-363A-4E2A-A4FF-42CA60FD0E78.jpeg

Edited by zenmu

At 20 you are considered an independent adult and allowed to make your own decisions. If you tell them you agree to sign an informed consent regarding risks of surgery at your age, and you comprehend that long term pattern is impossible to predict but you are willing to take that risk, then yes you will be able to get a reputable doctor to perform surgery. 

@zenmu,

To be honest with you, it really depends.   Everyone thinks age matters but in reality, each patient should be considered based on their individual circumstances. For example, let’s say a 20 year old went to a hair transplant clinic and is now in need of repair procedure. In a case like that, then it very well may be appropriate to operate on that individual in order to make their situation right.  There may also be other cases where operating on somebody younger is appropriate however, as a general rule, younger patients have higher expectations and are prone to panic at even the smallest signs of hair loss.  Since restoring a completely full head of densely packed hair is not possible, operating on a young patient under those conditions would be an appropriate.

The bottom line is, while age is certainly a consideration at our clinic in determining whether or not we will operate on them, their particular individual circumstances ultimately matter more.  That said, Dr. Rahal does and will turn patients down for surgery if operating on them is not in their best interest.   

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

5 hours ago, zenmu said:

I’m mainly looking to get a conservative hairline and in the future get further transplants if necessary.

You already have a conservative hairline. What you want is an aggressive hairline lol

I don’t think any surgeon is going to reject you based on your age. You can get your gender reassigned before even hitting puberty, HTs are just a small procedure. 

The only reason some top doctors would refuse is because of fear of you acting irrationally if the HT doesn’t grow well or regretting the decision, younger patients have unrealistic expectations/unpredictable.

24 minutes ago, Turkhair said:

You already have a conservative hairline. What you want is an aggressive hairline lol

I don’t think any surgeon is going to reject you based on your age. You can get your gender reassigned before even hitting puberty, HTs are just a small procedure. 

The only reason some top doctors would refuse is because of fear of you acting irrationally if the HT doesn’t grow well or regretting the decision, younger patients have unrealistic expectations/unpredictable.

oh i suppose you’re right i was thinking a hairline more similar to a U shape rather than a V. i’m more of a norwood 3? so like a norwood 2. and thank you for your response! i’m only curious because I was rejected for one at 19 and i’m hoping next year when I turn 20 it would be a more suitable age? I’ve expressed that I understand the risks but perhaps just a. few more years, or maybe 21 it’ll be better.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@zenmu,

To be honest with you, it really depends.   Everyone thinks age matters but in reality, each patient should be considered based on their individual circumstances. For example, let’s say a 20 year old went to a hair transplant clinic and is now in need of repair procedure. In a case like that, then it very well may be appropriate to operate on that individual in order to make their situation right.  There may also be other cases where operating on somebody younger is appropriate however, as a general rule, younger patients have higher expectations and are prone to panic at even the smallest signs of hair loss.  Since restoring a completely full head of densely packed hair is not possible, operating on a young patient under those conditions would be an appropriate.

The bottom line is, while age is certainly a consideration at our clinic in determining whether or not we will operate on them, their particular individual circumstances ultimately matter more.  That said, Dr. Rahal does and will turn patients down for surgery if operating on them is not in their best interest.   

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

I understand. Thanks for the in depth response, this is pretty much what I was told by another doctor I went to, to see what he thought.

3 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

worst case scenario…

but since youre on meds id say go for it if yoi are stabilized

IMG_7856.jpeg

see the thing is, i’m okay with that. and if it gets to that stage i’d personally prefer slick bald or use toppik fibers, to the best extent i could. but who knows

Edited by zenmu

4 hours ago, shiba1985 said:

At 20 you are considered an independent adult and allowed to make your own decisions. If you tell them you agree to sign an informed consent regarding risks of surgery at your age, and you comprehend that long term pattern is impossible to predict but you are willing to take that risk, then yes you will be able to get a reputable doctor to perform surgery. 

I appreciate the response, I honestly thought it was the case that doctors rarely took or even considered people under 25, but perhaps somewhere in between, 20-23 along with knowledge of how it may turn out in the future and its risk, will allow them to accept you.

31 minutes ago, zenmu said:

oh i suppose you’re right i was thinking a hairline more similar to a U shape rather than a V. i’m more of a norwood 3? so like a norwood 2. and thank you for your response! i’m only curious because I was rejected for one at 19 and i’m hoping next year when I turn 20 it would be a more suitable age? I’ve expressed that I understand the risks but perhaps just a. few more years, or maybe 21 it’ll be better.

I think using finasteride is way too early for you to be using at 19. Maybe topical minox at best. 

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting a hair transplant even if you are in your teens. As long as you choose a good clinic but it’s an issue even when you’re old. 

You’re expected to have hairs in your teens and you look out of place to be sporting even a NW2 at that age. I don’t agree with the idea that you should suffer until you’re in your 20s then get a HT

So yeah man, go crazy. Enjoy your youth because it’s never coming back. You WILL care about your hairs till you’re like in your 90s but people’s expectations of you do change and people aren’t so judgemental when you’re bald at old age versus when you’re in your teens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkhair said:

I think using finasteride is way too early for you to be using at 19. Maybe topical minox at best. 

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting a hair transplant even if you are in your teens. As long as you choose a good clinic but it’s an issue even when you’re old. 

You’re expected to have hairs in your teens and you look out of place to be sporting even a NW2 at that age. I don’t agree with the idea that you should suffer until you’re in your 20s then get a HT

So yeah man, go crazy. Enjoy your youth because it’s never coming back. You WILL care about your hairs till you’re like in your 90s but people’s expectations of you do change and people aren’t so judgemental when you’re bald at old age versus when you’re in your teens. 

I really appreciate your responses man. and you’re right, I just want to look and feel my best during my youth and I wanted to try everything to achieve that while also considering the future. My hairline has been like this since the age of 13 so it’s been something I’ve been insecure about for awhile and when I found out about everything that I know now about hair transplants, etc. I was excited and wanted it, even at the age 16. But now I’ve gotten to a point where I don’t feel as needful or rushing into it, but want to do it as soon as possible, considering all factors 

Edited by zenmu

• Administrators

No reputable surgeon should operate on a 20 year old. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, zenmu said:

see the thing is, i’m okay with that. and if it gets to that stage i’d personally prefer slick bald or use toppik fibers, to the best extent i could. but who knows

Trust me, that is WAY worse than a receded hairline. Just imagine how you feel about your baldness. Now compound that with still being bald and having an obvious botched HT that all your peers talk about behind your back. Really envision it. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

4 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Trust me, that is WAY worse than a receded hairline. Just imagine how you feel about your baldness. Now compound that with still being bald and having an obvious botched HT that all your peers talk about behind your back. Really envision it. 

i can understand that but i feel like if your hair is destined to be pretty similar to that anyways, you can see how the  entire scalp is see through, would one hair transplant really mean that much difference long term? it seems like you would like to enjoy a solid hairline at least for awhile until it comes to that point. but i haven’t experienced that so i don’t know exactly 

9 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

worst case scenario…

but since youre on meds id say go for it if yoi are stabilized

IMG_7856.jpeg

This isn’t as bad as it looks actually IF he has fantastic body hair. Sprinkle in a lot of body hairs with whatever scalp hairs he have left and it will come out great. And this person would’ve enjoyed many great years getting an HT early.

This is also proof of hair transplants being permanent, I have seen a few posters fearmonger about HTs and question donor dominance theory but look at it. Those hairs don’t care about being flooded with DHT. 

Where he went wrong is not using medication which he will use now - pretty pointless. And not chasing the hair loss with more hair transplants so that batch of hairs look lonely and really bad.

• Like 2

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, zenmu said:

i can understand that but i feel like if your hair is destined to be pretty similar to that anyways, you can see how the  entire scalp is see through, would one hair transplant really mean that much difference long term? it seems like you would like to enjoy a solid hairline at least for awhile until it comes to that point. but i haven’t experienced that so i don’t know exactly 

No one’s hair is destined to look like this, everyone would stare at you, and not in a good way. 

Make no mistake, this is completely unnatural. 

image.jpeg

I’m positive this guy would give anything to look like this

IMG_9298.webp

Part of the problem with having a hair transplant at this age, you can’t grasp the reality of the ramifications of a bad HT. If you’re slightly insecure about a V shape hairline. You would be absolutely destroyed if you looked like this. Which is very possible before 30. 

IMG_9299.jpeg

• Like 1

View my thread

23 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

No one’s hair is destined to look like this, everyone would stare at you, and not in a good way. 

image.jpeg

IMG_9298.webp

Part of the problem with having a hair transplant at this age, you can’t grasp the reality of the ramifications of a bad HT. If you’re slightly insecure about a V shape hairline. You would be absolutely destroyed if you looked like this. Which is very possible before 30. 

IMG_9299.jpeg

damn, that is a bad case. since i plan on going to a reputable surgeon regardless, realistically i expect to get a transplant around 23+ as i think they would be more willing to work with me as the hair loss pattern will be more evident, or to show it has stabilized. i appreciate the responses, you’re actually pretty impressive for responding to so much posts and topics. thanks again

• Administrators
1 hour ago, zenmu said:

damn, that is a bad case. since i plan on going to a reputable surgeon regardless, realistically i expect to get a transplant around 23+ as i think they would be more willing to work with me as the hair loss pattern will be more evident, or to show it has stabilized. i appreciate the responses, you’re actually pretty impressive for responding to so much posts and topics. thanks again

You need to be on medication and stick to it, then maybe at 23+ you can consider getting surgery. 

• Like 1

View my thread

You are too young and with great hair for your age to consider surgery. At this age you are not mentaly and brainly mature to make such a decision witch could have devistating results in the future. Every doctor who is willing to accept you at this age for surgery only wants your money. Look at cases like gatsby in this forum to understand what i mean.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

if he felt that bad about having a botched hair transplant, why wouldn't he fix it? that guy in the photo, why hasn't he fixed it lol. i'm sure there are many surgeons who could improve that look. Even just shaving it all would look better.

5 hours ago, Turkhair said:

This isn’t as bad as it looks actually IF he has fantastic body hair. Sprinkle in a lot of body hairs with whatever scalp hairs he have left and it will come out great. And this person would’ve enjoyed many great years getting an HT early.

This is also proof of hair transplants being permanent, I have seen a few posters fearmonger about HTs and question donor dominance theory but look at it. Those hairs don’t care about being flooded with DHT. 

Where he went wrong is not using medication which he will use now - pretty pointless. And not chasing the hair loss with more hair transplants so that batch of hairs look lonely and really bad.

here is an interesting video where its explained when a hairtransplant is advisable taking thr worst case scenario into account

image.jpeg.39eeb94cd718fca9e121798673477c39.jpeg

basically the key is to look likr row 3 in case you lose too much to fill out thr gaps behind the transplant

norwood 2/3 witj a bald crown exist in nature, norwood 0/1 with bald crown not so much

12 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

This sounds VERY insecure, also you dont care about your hair the same when you are 20 and when you are 40.

• Valued Contributor

@zenmu

Getting a hair transplant at a very early age, typically in your early twenties, is generally not recommended for several reasons:

-Hair loss patterns can change as you age. Undergoing a hair transplant too early may not account for potential future hair loss which can leave you with unnatural-looking results if hair loss continues(most likely scenario)

-Hair transplants involve taking hair from the donor area and transplanting it to the balding areas (the recipient areas). The donor is finite and using it all early on may not leave options for future procedures.

-If you have minimal hair loss(which seems to be the case from your pictures), the benefits may not outweigh the risks, so in such scenarios doing nothing is the wise thing to do.

So imho it's better to wait until your hair loss pattern stabilizes and you have a better understanding of your future needs before considering a hair transplant, especially if your hair loss is not extensive.Consulting with a an ethical experienced doctor can help you make an informed decision based on your situation.

So in short according to me you are a better candidate for medication and other non surgical therapies than a surgery at this stage.

I hope this helps you. Best of luck .

• Thanks 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

8 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

image.jpeg

IMG_9298.webp

IMG_9299.jpeg

If you look like this you shave it,definitely not let your hair grow long, then you look like Zidane, which is ok.