Texas HT Surgeon: Arocha or McGrath?

I am looking to get a FUT hair transplant (around 2500-2800 grafts) in Texas and have recently been looking at Dr. Arocha in Houston and Dr. McGrath in Austin. Browsing this board, it seems like Arocha has a decent reputation, but most of the posts are from someone who works for him. With McGrath, there's much less anecdotal information here, and a few of his results seem less than stellar. It's very difficult to put much stake in Google and Yelp reviews, so I'm not sure which surgeon is better for me. Traveling outside of TX is unfortunately not an option for me.

• Administrators

I don’t know much about Dr. Mcgrath, he did a good repair on David Dimuzio but thats the only case study I’ve seen. Dr. Arocha is a top-notch doctor. Definitely check out some of his work from @ArochaAngel4247

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 9/17/2023 at 10:30 PM, goodbyedream said:

I am looking to get a FUT hair transplant (around 2500-2800 grafts) in Texas and have recently been looking at Dr. Arocha in Houston and Dr. McGrath in Austin. Browsing this board, it seems like Arocha has a decent reputation, but most of the posts are from someone who works for him. With McGrath, there's much less anecdotal information here, and a few of his results seem less than stellar. It's very difficult to put much stake in Google and Yelp reviews, so I'm not sure which surgeon is better for me. Traveling outside of TX is unfortunately not an option for me.

It is always about results.  Visit the Hair Restoration Network .  There are 83 pages, (20-30 photos per page) of Dr. Arocha's work.  

https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/dr-bernardino-arocha/patients

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Personally, between the two, I don't think it's even close. Dr. Arocha is the way to go. But as long as you're in the stages of looking at doctors and can't go outside of Texas, I would get a consult with Dr. Yaker in Plano as well. It might sound harsh, but I honestly wouldn't go to Dr. Mcgrath if he gave me a hair transplant for free. 

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Ian. said:

Personally, between the two, I don't think it's even close. Dr. Arocha is the way to go. But as long as you're in the stages of looking at doctors and can't go outside of Texas, I would get a consult with Dr. Yaker in Plano as well. It might sound harsh, but I honestly wouldn't go to Dr. Mcgrath if he gave me a hair transplant for free. 

Yaker is an excellent choice!

On 9/18/2023 at 5:30 AM, goodbyedream said:

Between those two i would definitely chose dr. Arocha. His work is solid. For FUT with this amount of grafts dr. Jerry Cooley is another great option.

Why is this so hard to travel?

Edited by jjalay

I was in the same position as you, its not that I couldn’t leave TX, its that I couldn’t imagine going for a surgery and having to travel or not sleep in my home afterwards. Just a comfort level thing. I chose Arocha, happy with results and going again to work a bit further back. 

41 minutes ago, DontWait said:

I was in the same position as you, its not that I couldn’t leave TX, its that I couldn’t imagine going for a surgery and having to travel or not sleep in my home afterwards. Just a comfort level thing. I chose Arocha, happy with results and going again to work a bit further back. 

If you don't mind me asking, how many grafts did you get and was it FUT or FUE? Did you do the PRP, and if so do you recommend it based on your results?

29 minutes ago, goodbyedream said:

If you don't mind me asking, how many grafts did you get and was it FUT or FUE? Did you do the PRP, and if so do you recommend it based on your results?

5000 grafts FUE across 2 surgeries as a Norwood 4-5a. 2 surgeries were planned from the beginning. 6ish months out from the second. I would have loved to have FUT as an option but my skin has no laxity, very tight. 
I would like a 3rd, small session to address the frontal Crown. 

I did do PRP for both, if nothing else, to speed up growth. I would say do your research and come up with your own conclusions. I will be doing PRP for my third. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 5:10 PM, DontWait said:

5000 grafts FUE across 2 surgeries as a Norwood 4-5a. 2 surgeries were planned from the beginning. 6ish months out from the second. I would have loved to have FUT as an option but my skin has no laxity, very tight. 
I would like a 3rd, small session to address the frontal Crown. 

I did do PRP for both, if nothing else, to speed up growth. I would say do your research and come up with your own conclusions. I will be doing PRP for my third. 

I saw your previous post, but never saw the end result, any chance you can't point me to your before/after in case I missed it? 

And did Dr. Arocha use ARTAS or was it manual extraction? 

I am still growing from my second surgery, haven’t posted anything final. 

My procedure was manual, Artas wasn’t an option and I believe he mentioned the device has been retired for at least a few years.