UK or abroad for surgery

New to the forum so forgive me if this has already been asked. I am UK based and currently researching and exploring options here for hair restoration (most likely FUE). I am at a quandary of whether the extra expense for surgery 'at home' is worth it versus the potential savings in Europe. It may be a case of you get what you pay for, but I'm hoping there are some recommended surgeons a short enough flight away that come recommended (positive reviews / stories welcomed) and worthy of a few holiday days?

Thanks.

• Administrators

There are some excellent surgeons in the UK. Check out our list of recommendations. We just recently approved Dr. Mani Mittal from London. 

Here's our full list in the UK:

https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

Depending on where you live in the UK, it may be just as easy to go to Holland or Belgium as it would a trip to London (Dr Mani/Dr Reddy) or Portsmouth (Dr Ball). Up north you've got other decent options like Dr Farjo & Dr Arshad.

From my own research, the first three Dr's mentioned above are very good options, though if you have for budget for them then I'd definitely be considering easily accessible European options. Pound for Pound, Belgium has the best options in Europe; three or four top, top surgeons (Bisanga & Feriduni would be my picks).

Regardless though, I'd always advise spending a good amount of time learning about HT best practice generally, and also make sure you've spent time fully exploring the alternatives; buzz cuts, medical intervention, etc. Surgery should always be the last resort.

I went to london and saw Dr Raja, Dr Reddy and Dr Mani. 

They’ve all got slightly different approaches and techniques so it’s about finding what’s best for you. It’s also good to actually meet the surgeon and see if you get along if you’re able to.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2023 at 6:15 PM, TheGreatPretender said:

As someone who resided in the UK I would suggest you to go abroad, there are some decent clinics here howeaver I do strongly feel that they arent as good as the abroad ones.

As someone has been to Dr Farjo he is top class and no need to go abroad to better quality. I have also had two done with Feriduni so appreciate patients who want to but doctors here are of top quality such as Farjo and Maitland clinic.

54 minutes ago, manutd4545 said:

As someone has been to Dr Farjo he is top class and no need to go abroad to better quality. I have also had two done with Feriduni so appreciate patients who want to but doctors here are of top quality such as Farjo and Maitland clinic.

Although I agree that these two doctors are at a good level I cant really say they are in the same league as Couto, Freitas, Ferreira or Pinto. Correct me if I am wrong but both Farjo and Ed Ball seem to charge higher than the ones I mentioned. Even if they don't I still think you will get better results elsewhere with a top doctor in Europe.

@jmbuk,

Because surgical hair restoration is a lifetime investment, I strongly encourage you research all surgeons you are considering. instead of simply undergoing hair transplantation with a local doctor, I suggest narrowing your selection down to 3 to 5 top doctors in the world and then selecting one based on their proven ability to produce exceptional results.

If you are having difficulty picking 1 after narrowing it down to 3 to 5 excellent surgeons, then perhaps use price or location as the determining factor

But selecting a surgeon based on price or location alone has led many to disappointment and the need for repair  surgery

Now, this isn’t to say that there aren’t some good doctors where you are located. However, in my opinion, I suggest researching doctors and clinics all over the world rather than based strictly where you live.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

From my perspective everyone’s choice is personal, I looked around a lot in the UK and was confident with a bigger budget and potentially two surgeries I could have got a similar outcome. I fundamentally balanced what I perceived as quality, outcomes and affordability and made the decision l that for what I could afford I couldn’t get the quality and outcome in the UK so opted for abroad