Folliculitis? Infection?

I made my surgery (very big session) with a good well known/respected doctor, 7 weeks ago. The surgery went smooth with no problems and I was very careful and religiously followed the treatments and recommendations.

Two weeks after when I was removing the crust from my scalp I could see that one side of the front of my scalp is red and inflamed (the red dot it's a mole)  -

93216dfa-d56b-4a01-bc3b-24c61d6e9f93.thumb.jpeg.62ae4f78775551d3b8220f35b08875ef.jpeg

db18c3ab-3bf5-4de8-951f-dc2ac6d42f1d.thumb.jpeg.be81d719a76065a9820c7ad2e1336052.jpeg

It was like that for a week or so, my surgeon recommend me to take pills (steroids) for 5 days and I did. It became a little better but as soon as I finished the dose it became worse. More redness and swelling, pus, and big pimples with pus that start to spread over the transplanted area

IMG_4151.thumb.jpeg.82b36abcd0fd65a83a60bbf1dadcdf25.jpeg

IMG_4153.thumb.jpeg.5b5531e78b26589d8c356ea2a71806bb.jpeg

IMG_4152.thumb.jpeg.268a0a0a9f8f1022e3437b9af885a0ac.jpeg

My surgeon believe that it's an infection/folliculitis caused by bacteria and prescribed me with antibiotics. 

Do anyone here experienced anything similar? How rare is it to happen? Any recommendations? I would like to hear opinions/insights...

If it was after second week, the grafts should have been secure but you never know.

It’s really nasty, you shouldn’t have been made to waste time taking steroids and started antibiotics immediately.

Which doctor was it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Did your doctor prescribe antibiotics as part of the surgery as a routine? What has your surgeon advised now at this point? All the best!

Yes, I had to take antibiotics for 7 days after the procedure. Currently he advised to do compresses with towels soaked with warm water and also antibiotics for extended course 

7 hours ago, Turkhair said:

If it was after second week, the grafts should have been secure but you never know.

It’s really nasty, you shouldn’t have been made to waste time taking steroids and started antibiotics immediately.

Which doctor was it?

The front line redness was there from the first moment after removing the crust, thats why I'm worrying about it to affect the results. It might be that the grafts were transplanted too deep?

My doctor actually talked with me about the option of antibiotics earlier then now but I asked him to delay it a little to see if there is any improvement since I had nausea from the prescribed antibiotic after the surgery and I preferred to avoid a long regime of it if possible.

For now I prefer not to say the name of the doctor. He is well known with very impressive results, and he's very attentive.

1 hour ago, Rz56 said:

The front line redness was there from the first moment after removing the crust, thats why I'm worrying about it to affect the results. It might be that the grafts were transplanted too deep?

My doctor actually talked with me about the option of antibiotics earlier then now but I asked him to delay it a little to see if there is any improvement since I had nausea from the prescribed antibiotic after the surgery and I preferred to avoid a long regime of it if possible.

For now I prefer not to say the name of the doctor. He is well known with very impressive results, and he's very attentive.

Yeah sorry man. It definitely will affect your result. All the posts on here who had infection ended up bald exactly on the spot where they had infection. I find it pointless to give you hopes only 6 months later to have disappointment.

I am honestly worried about mine too. Close to 3 weeks post op, I had this nasty sore throat/runny nose - nastiest of my life it just sucks so bad despite taking antibiotics. Granted I did stop taking Finasteride for 3 days while recovering from it but I could see a difference in quality of my hair and a lot of transplanted hairs shed which were happily growing before this sore throat infection. They should be secure but stress isn’t good for them and maybe some died from starvation since my body was focusing all energy on the infection ( I felt dizzy, nauseous, that’s how nasty it was) 

Hair grafts are really really fragile unfortunately. If you followed post op care, saline spray, didn’t touch your scalp then it means the doctor clinic wasn’t really sterile and it’s their fault. Which is why you should name them. But yeah if you think this might have been your fault then protecting the clinic is a good idea. 

8 hours ago, Turkhair said:

Yeah sorry man. It definitely will affect your result. All the posts on here who had infection ended up bald exactly on the spot where they had infection. I find it pointless to give you hopes only 6 months later to have disappointment.

I am honestly worried about mine too. Close to 3 weeks post op, I had this nasty sore throat/runny nose - nastiest of my life it just sucks so bad despite taking antibiotics. Granted I did stop taking Finasteride for 3 days while recovering from it but I could see a difference in quality of my hair and a lot of transplanted hairs shed which were happily growing before this sore throat infection. They should be secure but stress isn’t good for them and maybe some died from starvation since my body was focusing all energy on the infection ( I felt dizzy, nauseous, that’s how nasty it was) 

Hair grafts are really really fragile unfortunately. If you followed post op care, saline spray, didn’t touch your scalp then it means the doctor clinic wasn’t really sterile and it’s their fault. Which is why you should name them. But yeah if you think this might have been your fault then protecting the clinic is a good idea. 

Hopefully you'll be alright and won't lose any grafts.. the only thing that you can do now is to rest, take some vitamins and be optimistic as it affects your mental and then your physical health...

I followed post op care religiously.. I was very serious about my transplant.. just I don't really know what it is and if it's somebody fault, and I think that the doctor is very attentive and caring so I prefer not to post his name until I get final results and understand better what is currently happening in my scalp. It might be just folliculitis which is common and maybe I won't any lose grafts.. 🤞

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rz56 said:

Hopefully you'll be alright and won't lose any grafts.. the only thing that you can do now is to rest, take some vitamins and be optimistic as it affects your mental and then your physical health...

I followed post op care religiously.. I was very serious about my transplant.. just I don't really know what it is and if it's somebody fault, and I think that the doctor is very attentive and caring so I prefer not to post his name until I get final results and understand better what is currently happening in my scalp. It might be just folliculitis which is common and maybe I won't any lose grafts.. 🤞

Yeah good luck mate. 

I really commend you for protecting the clinic and showing patience. Something went wrong here and if it’s not you it’s the clinic. It’s really as simple as that. The surgery itself is very risky because there’s thousands of deep wounds created and scalp isn’t the most cleanest of body parts, it is only through extremely sterile and antiseptic measures that we don’t even think about infection or anything going wrong. There’s stories of people dying and getting nasty infections of skull from dirty cheap clinics which obviously don’t follow antiseptic and sterile protocols. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrators

Please update us 🙏

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.