Rogaine Foam Side effects and Questions

The Franchise

Hey Guys,

I just started to use the rogaine foam about 4 days ago. Just on the crown of my head being that is where i am losing my hair. But each time i do, I get a crushing headache. I am using the half cap full as instruacted, but it seems to really knock the heck out of me. Both in the morning and at night. I thought it might lessen as i used it more day after day. But no luck so far.

I was curious if anyone else has had this issue?

If so will the headaches lighten up?

Finally i am losing my hair at the crown of my head, and was woundering if you guys could point me in the right direction on something to use.

thanks again for taking the time to read this.

TF

TF

You have come to the right place. Research on this forums and you will gain a lot of knowledge.

If you are losing hair in your crown area, Rogaine is your best bet before thinking of a HT. It works for some and it doesn't for some but you should continue using it for 4-6 months to see any visible results.

I have had the exact same issue as you did with the foam. when I started it, I had a severe headache for 2-3 days and it went away gradually within the first week on starting it. For starts, try using a little less than the half-capfuls for a day or two and see if that still gives you headaches. If not, then switch to half-capfuls. icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps.

Rogain/minox will not give you much help on your crown/ or top of head.

It will slightly work for your top of head , but in my experience of research ROGAIN / minox works best for the front of the scalp. I've seen good candidates benefit from the front half of the head, but not the sides of the front. I've only seen rogain/minox work for the fron middle part of the scalp.

Minox/rogain can give you headaches, irregular heart beat, migrains, dermatitis, and irritation. Rogain works best for people who do not suffer from MPB, or alopecia. If you do have either of MPB or Alopecia rogain will have to be applied constantly to even see any positive result. AND IT IS NOT WORTH IT.

Good luck, with those maintenence drugs

you could just accept it and finds some other alternative to your happiness

However I have seen minox/rogaiun work slightly but for a price $$$$$$ and I stress the word SLightly!

Best to you/ and god bless

I thought minox helped prevent further loss from any area where hair is presently being lost, like the front and round the hairloss fringe area. Is this not correct.

default dosnt think it helps much at all.

Anyone else care to share info on this. I mean its about 15 bucks a month for rogaine foam and Im applying once a day and it leaves the hair kinda stiff. Is it worth it then?? If it only helps ever so slightly then its not worth the cost or the hassle is it.

would appreciate some feedback from the experts on its effectiveness and the areas where it is most effective.

and is once a day no good. does it have to be twice a day.

any studies done or clinical results somewhere........cheers

sunny

Sunnycoastman,

According to their own web site, "In clinical testing, ROGAINE?® Foam regrew hair in 85% of men after 4 months when used twice daily." As I understand the research, Rogaine is meant to be applied to the crown or top of the head and has not been proven effective when applied to the front of the head.

To my knowledge, Rogaine has been shown to grow hair in some men but not to slow the loss of existing hair. For that you need a DHT inhibitor like Finasteride which not only slows hair loss but also may grow new hair. I believe that is why most doctors will recommend that they are used in conjunction with each other.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know if these medications will work for you. I started both Finasteride and Rogaine at the same time and have seen a significant change in my crown area. Is it the Rogaine? Is it the Finasteride? Is it both? I have no way of knowing so I plan to keep using them both daily forever or until a better option comes along. I'm one of the lucky ones who have not suffered any severe side-effects.

I use Rogaine liquid. It costs me about $17 for a six-month supply. My Proscar costs me about $60 for a one year supply. For less than $8 per month I'm happy to keep all the bases covered (and my crown too!)

Hope this helps!

TTP

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks TTP. Im on Fin and Im using rogaine foam but I think I'll go back to the liquid after its finished. I had reduced libido with fin to start with but that settled after a few months. Hey, I can always blame it on old age cant I...:-) .no adverse effects from the minox.

So it appears then that there's nothing thats proven to stop the frontal hair from being lost. I guess i'll just continue my once a day with minox on the front and crown fringe and hope for the best. I apply it at night before bed and wash my hair in the morning because I cant stand the feel of it in my hair during the day. cheers

sunny

I've been taking the foam for a tad over a year and never had any pain. In my opinion, it did give me a tad more growth on the top of my head after 3 months. Unfortunately I don't think my body is reacting to it as effectively anymore. I notice a few months ago that the are isn't as dense.

I take it once a day since it makes the hair look wierd...My opinion, its not a styling gel, it makes the hair clump and it smells too much like heavy cheap perfume.

yeh it feels like crap in your hair. your hair feels like an old cheap musty wig and smells like it too.....sure aint sexy!!

I have a question. How long after it goes in can you wash it out again without reducing its effectiveness. Say I get up at 6.30am put it in then and wash out at 8pm before I go to work. would it still work the same. cheers

sunny

I think the package recommends an 8 hour duration and twice a day as optimal. I use it only once a day which is at night. I typically put it in an hour or two before turning in for the night so it dries. I'll wash it out in the morning. The stuff is really smelly and doesn't style well. Once in a while I'll dab a little in the morning, but overall I'm sacrificing the 2nd recommended application so I don't stink up the office and draw attention.

• 4 years later...