4986 Grafts FUT With Dr. Wong | Aug 16th, 2023 | 30M

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've finally hit the 1-month mark. The shed has been insane, I'm kind of freaking out a bit, since I am well below baseline. I definitely have lost native hair along with all my transplanted hair. I've never seen my scalp like this before, I would assume this is due to shock loss. The scar area looks way better than I thought for the 1-month mark. I'm really trusting the process of this and hoping for the best.🤞

image.thumb.png.f6e82a2792203dd9c8fdb8a84a1bb2f6.pngimage.thumb.png.1f51ebf542a6f07ec62a4f6550cccdc9.pngimage.thumb.png.a00f3c2d1110b9d91dcf365b388f67e7.pngimage.thumb.png.6206e79a0bfe7c22f1cedde5bd283938.pngimage.thumb.png.718a88967ab4904094a001d874b94e46.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JohnnySins said:

Well, I've finally hit the 1-month mark. The shed has been insane, I'm kind of freaking out a bit, since I am well below baseline. I definitely have lost native hair along with all my transplanted hair. I've never seen my scalp like this before, I would assume this is due to shock loss. The scar area looks way better than I thought for the 1-month mark. I'm really trusting the process of this and hoping for the best.🤞

image.thumb.png.f6e82a2792203dd9c8fdb8a84a1bb2f6.pngimage.thumb.png.1f51ebf542a6f07ec62a4f6550cccdc9.pngimage.thumb.png.a00f3c2d1110b9d91dcf365b388f67e7.pngimage.thumb.png.6206e79a0bfe7c22f1cedde5bd283938.pngimage.thumb.png.718a88967ab4904094a001d874b94e46.png

Praying for you that it's just shock loss as well! You are two weeks ahead of me in terms of our hair transplant timeline and I am horrified of the shed phase. WILL be brutal but we'll be in this together. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally hit the 3 month mark and thank God I have some of my native hair growing back after the shock loss. It doesn't look fully recovered from the shock loss, but hoping within the next couple of months I'll get there. Overall things look much better from month 1 and even had a chance to get a haircut at month 2. My scar finally feels less sensitive and has become less red. I think my scar line did stretch slightly, which I will have to look into further when the scar fully heals and I can take some photos to review.

image.thumb.jpeg.4dad43633851994959582885c342d0de.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7e9cba2e5c07c5154bd289a97c6d52a9.jpeg\image.thumb.jpeg.fc5df3abc5c95432962b9ad1a7fe23b9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f0c04a3cd6ceb0ce9330b6e52abb10d9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.66c8684710e8bc68471a0f8af45b6306.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ddc9452669e26cde368fd639cc27719b.jpeg

Edited by JohnnySins
made mistake on added photos
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Needhelpwithscar said:

I also got a FUT surgery from dr Wong. (6 months ago). My scar has stretched so badly now I don’t know what to do. Really regretted getting the surgery. @TimeForAChange

Based on pictures you've posted recently, I'd call your scar average but no means 'bad'. Your hair is very short atm and it will be hidden if you let it grow more As OP mentioned, FUE into the scar is definitely an option. Why don't you ask H&W for some reference pics of successful cases?

@BurnieBurns the scar is very bad. Between 3-5mm in different area as you can see in the pictures. The clinic advertised their scar will be very small and mock other surgeons’ scar for being 3-4 mm on their website. I have asked for reference but they didn’t provide any comparable examples saying that they don’t have patient’s approval to share. I have to keep my hair to as long as 18mm to hide the scar, but it’s a horrible look because my crown doesn’t have any hair and the front and mindless is also very thin. And I really just don’t have enough hair for a second procedure. Now I just want to shave my head and be bald. But the scar is not allowing me to. Guys, DO NOT get a hair transplant if you are reading this. Shave it and accept being bald. Bald is healthy and beautiful. 

1 hour ago, Needhelpwithscar said:

@BurnieBurns the scar is very bad. Between 3-5mm in different area as you can see in the pictures. The clinic advertised their scar will be very small and mock other surgeons’ scar for being 3-4 mm on their website. I have asked for reference but they didn’t provide any comparable examples saying that they don’t have patient’s approval to share. I have to keep my hair to as long as 18mm to hide the scar, but it’s a horrible look because my crown doesn’t have any hair and the front and mindless is also very thin. And I really just don’t have enough hair for a second procedure. Now I just want to shave my head and be bald. But the scar is not allowing me to. Guys, DO NOT get a hair transplant if you are reading this. Shave it and accept being bald. Bald is healthy and beautiful. 

I’m sorry for what you’re going through but it doesn’t sound like you were a suitable candidate for surgery in the first place. While your account suggests the clinic misled you, 3-4mm is nowhere near what truly bad scars are out there.

While 1-2mm scars happen most of the time in expert hands its not always the case . It’s widely known not to rely on cutting your hair super short after a strip procedure in these communities. Scars are by their nature, not totally predictable.

Thousands of FUT patients have scars exactly like yours that aren’t bothered due to their hair length. I too had some stretch back on one side, probably close to yours.  It’s never seen with regular hair styling and I’ll likely get FUE into it once I’m certain I won’t have another strip.

Sorry to hear they don’t have reference pics but surely there’s some examples posted here. I’ve seen some in the past.

Generally speaking it works exactly like you’d think. Once sprouted hair will grow from the scar. It won’t hide it 100% due to differences in skin pigmentation but it will be significantly more undetectable. 

These are your options:

- FUE 
- Scar revision (still a gamble and only if a good surgeon feels it worth trying)

- Trichopigmentation or SMP

Whichever option make sure you go to someone too if their game.

Also (and might not like hearing this), I highly recommend doing your best to get to a place of sounds mind, and get at piece with what’s happened before making another big decision. Your case could and still does have the potential to be a lot worse than it is now.

On 8/31/2023 at 11:18 AM, Melvin- Admin said:

He has severe diffuse thinning all over his scalp. He’s lost at least 50% of his original density. 5,000 grafts is probably only 25% of what he’s lost.

image.png

I’m not sure I would classify this as “severe” but to each their own. This is wet hair in what appears to be harsh lighting, on a 30 year old. Children coming out of a swimming pool can have some scalp show. But anyway, in person is really the only way to assess, and OP obviously wasn’t happy pre-surgery. I hope you get the results you are after, OP.

14 minutes ago, Savemyhairline said:

I’m not sure I would classify this as “severe” but to each their own. This is wet hair in what appears to be harsh lighting, on a 30 year old. Children coming out of a swimming pool can have some scalp show. But anyway, in person is really the only way to assess, and OP obviously wasn’t happy pre-surgery. I hope you get the results you are after, OP.

Objectively, yes he could have had a great result with a lot less grafts. It’s safe to say that expectations of density are extremely variable for different patients and this has to be balanced with the quality of his donor and future loss. In this case his goals were possible.

2 minutes ago, BurnieBurns said:

Objectively, yes he could have had a great result with a lot less grafts. It’s safe to say that expectations of density are extremely variable for different patients and this has to be balanced with the quality of his donor and future loss. In this case his goals were possible.

Should be very interesting to see his final results, H&W seem to be among the absolute best for diffuse thinners. I myself am a diffuse thinner. I have curly hair which I think hides it a lot more than someone with straight hair. I don’t think id go for FUT at this point for personal reasons, but still very interested in the results. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BurnieBurns said:

I’m sorry for what you’re going through but it doesn’t sound like you were a suitable candidate for surgery in the first place. While your account suggests the clinic misled you, 3-4mm is nowhere near what truly bad scars are out there.

While 1-2mm scars happen most of the time in expert hands its not always the case . It’s widely known not to rely on cutting your hair super short after a strip procedure in these communities. Scars are by their nature, not totally predictable.

Thousands of FUT patients have scars exactly like yours that aren’t bothered due to their hair length. I too had some stretch back on one side, probably close to yours.  It’s never seen with regular hair styling and I’ll likely get FUE into it once I’m certain I won’t have another strip.

Sorry to hear they don’t have reference pics but surely there’s some examples posted here. I’ve seen some in the past.

Generally speaking it works exactly like you’d think. Once sprouted hair will grow from the scar. It won’t hide it 100% due to differences in skin pigmentation but it will be significantly more undetectable. 

These are your options:

- FUE 
- Scar revision (still a gamble and only if a good surgeon feels it worth trying)

- Trichopigmentation or SMP

Whichever option make sure you go to someone too if their game.

Also (and might not like hearing this), I highly recommend doing your best to get to a place of sounds mind, and get at piece with what’s happened before making another big decision. Your case could and still does have the potential to be a lot worse than it is now.

I wasn’t a good candidate at all, but I didn’t know about it before the surgery. I just thought I would have hair after the surgery, I didn’t do my research well that’s my fault. The clinic should not have taken me as a patient if they are ethical because my hair density is so low and my hair loss was so progressive, that’s their fault. I have never seen a good result from FUE into scar online from patient. Plus to fix the scar, you will have hundreds of fue scars, that also is creating more scar. I didn’t mean to post my story on this thread. I’ll stop talking about this here. If anyone interested in discussing, you can reply to my post in my profile.

19 hours ago, TimeForAChange said:

Hi fellow Wong patient! What are your plans for the scar? I got surgery (FUT) slightly after you and I'm waiting to see how the scar develops. I'm planning on going back to Hasson and Wong to get FUE grafts into the scar.

Depending on how it turns out, I may get an FUE procedure to get it filled in. Some people are extremely lucky when it comes to their scar lines not stretching from the looks of it and they're barely noticeable. When I asked Dr. Wong what a typical scar line looked like healed, they looked great and barely noticeable. I'm not sure what happened in my case, but I will wait for it to heal 100% before contacting the clinic. 

8 hours ago, Savemyhairline said:

I guess we each have our own classification of "severe diffuse thinning" but I think I did. This photo shows just my crown area dry (a week before surgery) where it looks visibly thin and can easily see the scalp. Someone without diffuse thinning wouldn't look like this with dry hair. This wasn't even in direct sunlight, if it was taken outside in natural light, it would have shown the true extent of it. At the end of the day, I know some people have more severe cases of diffuse thinning, but to me, this has always been troublesome and what I consider diffuse thinning. Thank you for your wishes, I'm hoping for the best in terms of results 🤞

image.thumb.png.beadddefd285f7aa738cfcd305cccb5a.png

11 minutes ago, JohnnySins said:

I guess we each have our own classification of "severe diffuse thinning" but I think I did. This photo shows just my crown area dry (a week before surgery) where it looks visibly thin and can easily see the scalp. Someone without diffuse thinning wouldn't look like this with dry hair. This wasn't even in direct sunlight, if it was taken outside in natural light, it would have shown the true extent of it. At the end of the day, I know some people have more severe cases of diffuse thinning, but to me, this has always been troublesome and what I consider diffuse thinning. Thank you for your wishes, I'm hoping for the best in terms of results 🤞

image.thumb.png.beadddefd285f7aa738cfcd305cccb5a.png

I guess we are just getting into semantics at this point; yes that is clearly MPB, but when I think of “severe” I think, basically end of the road and can’t be concealed with fibers, like Melvin before his transformation (no offense of course, Melvin). I don’t blame you at all for wanting to fix that! I would’ve thought the meds would have tightened that up more but alas, not everyone responds to them the same. My one buddy responded to minoxidil quite well and has similar hair characteristics to you, I bet he would have gone with a HT had he not responded to Min as well. Thanks for sharing your journey 

Edited by Savemyhairline
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, BurnieBurns said:

Based on pictures you've posted recently, I'd call your scar average but no means 'bad'. Your hair is very short atm and it will be hidden if you let it grow more As OP mentioned, FUE into the scar is definitely an option. Why don't you ask H&W for some reference pics of successful cases?

11 hours ago, Needhelpwithscar said:

I have to agree with @Needhelpwithscar the day before surgery I was told I would be a better candidate for FUT than FUE as I would have more grafts available with the FUT method. I fully went in with the anticipation of having an FUE procedure, so I asked Dr. Wong for photos of what FUT scars looked like fully healed and when he showed me a couple of them, I thought they looked amazing and barely noticeable and that's why I went ahead with the FUT

@JohnnySins unfortunately that’s what the clinic does, they only showed you the best results, but didn’t show the average results and the less than average results. Using fue to fill a scar is not that easy, it will never be 100% invisible and you are using your donor graft and creating a lot of fue scars as well, depending how big your scar is. Honestly, I have not found anyone that use fue to fill their scar able to cut their hair to a guard 1 or 2 without it being visible. That’s why I’m on this forum to see if anyone has success doing that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 1:59 PM, mojones said:

Hi, when did you see your shock loss come back? I think mine started at month 2. It’s month 4 and mine still hasn’t grown back. Were you on finasteride?

I would say my shock loss hit a little over the one month mark. I'm currently at the four month mark and everything has definitely grown back at this point (and more). It can take longer then 4 months for shock loss to recover, so I wouldn't freak out about it! I've been on finasteride (1.25mg) for a couple of years now.

MONTH 4 UPDATE

HOLY CRAP, I HAVE HAIR! 

Man was I ever starting to freak out that I would never come back from losing my native hair during my shock loss, but boy was I wrong. The difference between month 3 and 4 has been insane. I can't belive I already have this much hair at month 4. I was expecting this result at maybe the 6 month mark. My crown is finally filling in and my mid scalp area is much fuller now. I'm hoping it only gets better from here. 

The only drawback, if I may say so, is the FUT scar in one particular spot on my head (as indicated by the circle). It appears that the scar stretched enough to create a noticeable area where my scalp is visible. Fortunately, the rest of the scar seems inconspicuous for now. I'll only be able to gauge its visibility with a haircut – determining how low I can go without it being noticeable.

image.thumb.jpeg.a456444b5f84eb5696f1a5b80865d328.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.839ed47e4e5bd1e7ca2661cc84fd10fc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0b52ec2bb5b811e50ec4a10972e1e3a1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2046e394fdfa98a89507b3a3a628f9d0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5e6fb4b7d7dcff3a0f51e219a9f89fd2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bd48c92768646035860ad538e6642aab.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Well Done 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, JohnnySins said:

MONTH 4 UPDATE

HOLY CRAP, I HAVE HAIR! 

Man was I ever starting to freak out that I would never come back from losing my native hair during my shock loss, but boy was I wrong. The difference between month 3 and 4 has been insane. I can't belive I already have this much hair at month 4. I was expecting this result at maybe the 6 month mark. My crown is finally filling in and my mid scalp area is much fuller now. I'm hoping it only gets better from here. 

The only drawback, if I may say so, is the FUT scar in one particular spot on my head (as indicated by the circle). It appears that the scar stretched enough to create a noticeable area where my scalp is visible. Fortunately, the rest of the scar seems inconspicuous for now. I'll only be able to gauge its visibility with a haircut – determining how low I can go without it being noticeable.

image.thumb.jpeg.a456444b5f84eb5696f1a5b80865d328.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.839ed47e4e5bd1e7ca2661cc84fd10fc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0b52ec2bb5b811e50ec4a10972e1e3a1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2046e394fdfa98a89507b3a3a628f9d0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5e6fb4b7d7dcff3a0f51e219a9f89fd2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bd48c92768646035860ad538e6642aab.jpeg

Damn wtf 😳 is this the fast case of growth ever! Definitely a contender 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.