Hattingen FUT Gigasession

• Administrators

I had to share this, what an incredible transformation 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I had to share this, what an incredible transformation 

Yes, i know this case, amazing transformation just in 1 HT

FUT is kind of losing marketing battle with FUE, often labled as "old approach". However we see that results can be astonising and another benefit is saving a lot of grafts in the bank for future needs. So FUT is still great option to consider for higher norwoods. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, GeneralNorwood said:

Yes, i know this case, amazing transformation just in 1 HT

FUT is kind of losing marketing battle with FUE, often labled as "old approach". However we see that results can be astonising and another benefit is saving a lot of grafts in the bank for future needs. So FUT is still great option to consider for higher norwoods. 

FUT is definitely a good option. But I wouldn’t trust many surgeons out there with megasessions. Hattingen and H&W are the only ones with FUT.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2023 at 11:04 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

FUT is definitely a good option. But I wouldn’t trust many surgeons out there with megasessions. Hattingen and H&W are the only ones with FUT.

So this patient got 8k grafts with single FUT, he could get another FUT with 5k and cut out the old scar? Perhaps FUE with 5k+? Doesn't FUT seem like a great option to start with? Why everyone goes with FUE?

Edited by SoSoz

• Administrators
Just now, SoSoz said:

So this patient got 8k grafts with single FUT, he could get another FUT with 5k? Perhaps FUE with 5k+? Doesn't FUT seem like a great option to start with? Why everyone goes with FUE?

Watch this

• Like 1

View my thread

17 minutes ago, SoSoz said:

Doesn't FUT seem like a great option to start with? Why everyone goes with FUE?

For various of reasons.

1. People are scared of linear scar and believe that FUE is scarless. 

2. FUE is more popular, it is easier to perform, doesn't require so much surgical skills and thus it is loved by hairmills. 

3. Clinics don't care about donor managment and patients are not educated in this subject. 

7 minutes ago, GeneralNorwood said:

For various of reasons.

2. FUE is more popular, it is easier to perform, doesn't require so much surgical skills and thus it is loved by hairmills. 

3. Clinics don't care about donor managment and patients are not educated in this subject. 

Not just the scar it is more painful procedure.

I know someone who had an FUT the scar is not that bad actually but it was FAR more painful than the FUE they had after

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, GeneralNorwood said:

For various of reasons.

People are scared of linear scars. That’s true, but FUE does have less visible scarring and allows for shorter hair cuts.

Where are you getting that it is easier to perform? All a surgeon does for strip is excise the tissue and sew it back up. The technicians sliver and dissect the tissue, and sort the grafts. The entire process is very short for the surgeon. This is coming from my conversation with many strip surgeons in the US. 

It’s preferred by hair mills because its the most popular. Donor management is nonsense. Removed grafts are removed grafts. This notion that strip somehow preserves the donor is nonsense. It rearranges the scalp, so much so that hairs can grow in different directions in the donor. 

• Like 1

View my thread

11 minutes ago, GeneralNorwood said:

For various of reasons.

Would you start with FUT if you had chance to re do your HT?

1 hour ago, hairman22 said:

Not just the scar it is more painful procedure.

I know someone who had an FUT the scar is not that bad actually but it was FAR more painful than the FUE they had after

No pain, no gain 😅

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

People are scared of linear scars. That’s true, but FUE does have less visible scarring and allows for shorter hair cuts.

Yes and no. It depends. For example in this procedure that you posted linear scar is very high. Thus he could do some  fade cut and in fact , above the ears he could cut with guard 0 and there is no FUE scars there. However he can't skin fade very high. 

Where are you getting that it is easier to perform? All a surgeon does for strip is excise the tissue and sew it back up. The technicians sliver and dissect the tissue, and sort the grafts. The entire process is very short for the surgeon. This is coming from my conversation with many strip surgeons in the US.  

I believe that you talked on this subject on one of your podcasts with Dr Muresanu. 

Do you see yourself doing strip ? And how about motorised punch? Punching seems so easy,  hairmills let technicians do the punches. 

And by saying that it is easier to perform, i not only meant surgeon, but the whole team. This is what you are talking about, stereo-microscopic dissection, sorting the grafts, it is required for FUT and requires bigger team. And hairmills hate microscopes, sorting the grafts, because it takes time, so FUE is no brainer for them. 

Donor management is nonsense. Removed grafts are removed grafts. This notion that strip somehow preserves the donor is nonsense. It rearranges the scalp, so much so that hairs can grow in different directions in the donor. 

It's mathematics. You have 2cm x 25 cm strip for example. It is 50cm2. Let's say density is 90 grafts per cm. So with strip you can extract 4500 grafts from this area. Then you shrink this 2cm to 2mm by sewing and the scar is not visible when hair grows. 

With FUE you can extract up to 50% of grafts from the same 50cm2 area. Ok, maybe when you are Zarev you can do 60%. So it is 2250 for usual clinics and 2700 for Zarev. It's still less then 4500 from strip. 

If Zarev combined FUT + FUE, of course he could extract more grafts.  

Shrinking the scar is powerfull action that enables to extract 100% from chosen area. There is no shrinking of scars with FUE, however one can use 0.45 mm punch to do smaller scars and expand donor possibilities. 

1 hour ago, SoSoz said:

Would you start with FUT if you had chance to re do your HT?

Yes, i would. In fact i am considering FUT for my second procedure. Because i still have 65 grafts/cm2 in donor area and doing some nice strip with 50cm2 area can still provide me some advantage, without depleting the donor. Both Bisanga and Eugenix told me that i have around 3000 grafts left with FUE. I hope with FUT i can expand this limit. 

Edited by GeneralNorwood
  • Like 1

The potential for complications and the increased recovery time is what puts me off to FUT. Just doesn't seem worth it for a thousand more grafts or something like that. 

I also don't understand: how do people fly to a different country and then get the staples removed at home? Can you just go to any urgent care clinic to have them removed? 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

The potential for complications and the increased recovery time is what puts me off to FUT. Just doesn't seem worth it for a thousand more grafts or something like that. 

How about 2000-3000 more grafts? 

7 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Can you just go to any urgent care clinic to have them removed? 

https://hassonandwong.com/hair-transplant/hair-transplant-staple-removal/

2 hours ago, GeneralNorwood said:

How about 2000-3000 more grafts? 

Is 2000-3000 for your average person with average scalp elasticity?

Frankly even for 3000 I'm not sure I would allow them to slice the back of my head open. But of course it all comes down to personal factors.