Aftercare Questions - upcoming surgery Dr Mwamba (2500 grafts)

Hi all,  

I’m booked in for surgery with Dr Mwamba soon and just have some question that hopefully will help with the post operative care. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Background

I’ve been a member of the forum since about the start of 2021 when I started looking into options about getting a transplant. The forum has been a great source of information when exploring potential surgeons.

I went with Mwamba at the end of last year based on availability and the good reputation he had on the forum. My first choices probably would have been Pinto, De Freitas, Ferreira and more recently Pekiner but it seemed they were fully booked into next year.

Some of the recent threads about Mwamba have me a little concerned, especially as my surgery is coming up at the end of August. Nevertheless, I’m going to push ahead and hopefully get a good result 

Questions on surgery/aftercare

For anyone who has had surgery with Mwamba:

1. Was there much communication with the clinic in the lead up. There hasn’t been much with me and just wondering is this standard?
  2. Does the kit he provides include pretty much everything needed for the aftercare or were there additional items you bought to help in the first two weeks after surgery?
  3. Typically does he help wash the hair after the surgery and in your experience what is the aftercare like in the first few weeks with the clinic?

Just a few more general questions for anyone with a transplant experience:

4. Would it be OK to wear a loose fitting hat, or a bucket hat after about 10 days or is that cutting it a bit fine?

5. Would two weeks be fine to start doing some HIT exercises and about 18 days to go back to heavy lifting at the gym?

6. I was thinking of getting the below things to help for the first few weeks- is there anything else you found useful? (Aloe Vera, sleeping pillow, ice pack for donor, baby shampoo) 

7. generally how bad was the anaesthesia - very painful or more uncomfortable (seems to be big variations in this)

I’m guessing most of these questions have been asked a lot on the forum but I thought it best just to enquire anyway to get myself as prepared as possible. Like I said any feedback or intel would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance everyone! 

• Administrators
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Harry90 said:

Hi all,  

I’m booked in for surgery with Dr Mwamba soon and just have some question that hopefully will help with the post operative care. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Background

I’ve been a member of the forum since about the start of 2021 when I started looking into options about getting a transplant. The forum has been a great source of information when exploring potential surgeons.

I went with Mwamba at the end of last year based on availability and the good reputation he had on the forum. My first choices probably would have been Pinto, De Freitas, Ferreira and more recently Pekiner but it seemed they were fully booked into next year.

Some of the recent threads about Mwamba have me a little concerned, especially as my surgery is coming up at the end of August. Nevertheless, I’m going to push ahead and hopefully get a good result 

Questions on surgery/aftercare

For anyone who has had surgery with Mwamba:

1. Was there much communication with the clinic in the lead up. There hasn’t been much with me and just wondering is this standard?
  2. Does the kit he provides include pretty much everything needed for the aftercare or were there additional items you bought to help in the first two weeks after surgery?
  3. Typically does he help wash the hair after the surgery and in your experience what is the aftercare like in the first few weeks with the clinic?

Just a few more general questions for anyone with a transplant experience:

4. Would it be OK to wear a loose fitting hat, or a bucket hat after about 10 days or is that cutting it a bit fine?

5. Would two weeks be fine to start doing some HIT exercises and about 18 days to go back to heavy lifting at the gym?

6. I was thinking of getting the below things to help for the first few weeks- is there anything else you found useful? (Aloe Vera, sleeping pillow, ice pack for donor, baby shampoo) 

7. generally how bad was the anaesthesia - very painful or more uncomfortable (seems to be big variations in this)

I’m guessing most of these questions have been asked a lot on the forum but I thought it best just to enquire anyway to get myself as prepared as possible. Like I said any feedback or intel would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance everyone! 

I am just answering the Mwamba-centric questions

1) if you arent asking questions, the clinic has no reason to contact you out of the blue before surgery. What are you expecting them to contact you about? 

If you have logistical or travel questions or anything else non-surgery related, the clinic staff is pretty responsive in that regard

If you have super specific technical questions about your surgery, I do think it will be hard getting directly a detailed answer from Mwamba via email beforehand. 

That being said, if I were you you might as well email him anyway if you have any important surgery questions. You don't have anything to lose by reaching out.

2) the only additional items to buy are baby shampoo (i prefer vanicream), aloe vera for post-op itchiness and a travel pillow. The kit has everything else

3) contact the clinic beforehand to confirm, but you can likely go back to the clinic the next day and one of the techs will wash your scalp for you. 

IMO the benefit of the scalp wash is moreso to make you feel fresh and clean. You can skip this wash and it should have zero impact on actual transplant results

If you do go back the next day, you can also likely have a post op meeting with Dr. Mwamba. This is really patient dependent though and depends on his schedule so definitely plan that in advance

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor
15 hours ago, Harry90 said:

Its okay if you wear a loose fitting hat or the opposite ...grafts are well rooted after 10 days and any type or fitting hat would be fine

Its fine if you go to gym...after 10 days you just have to take care of your scalp as it takes more time to get completely healed and you have to avoid infection/inflammation so don't do things which can lead to that...usually some doctors advice not to do heavy lifting till 3 months because while doing that if something goes wrong than there is a chance you may get hit on head which can cause infection/inflammation..

This will always vary from person to person...some has more pain bearing tendency and some are very sensitive to it...

I hope this helps you..

For other doctor specific things only dr mwamba's patients can answer that...i

Edited by A_4_Archan
  • Thanks 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

On 8/16/2023 at 1:45 AM, HappyMan2021 said:

I am just answering the Mwamba-centric questions

1) if you arent asking questions, the clinic has no reason to contact you out of the blue before surgery. What are you expecting them to contact you about? 

If you have logistical or travel questions or anything else non-surgery related, the clinic staff is pretty responsive in that regard

If you have super specific technical questions about your surgery, I do think it will be hard getting directly a detailed answer from Mwamba via email beforehand. 

That being said, if I were you you might as well email him anyway if you have any important surgery questions. You don't have anything to lose by reaching out.

2) the only additional items to buy are baby shampoo (i prefer vanicream), aloe vera for post-op itchiness and a travel pillow. The kit has everything else

3) contact the clinic beforehand to confirm, but you can likely go back to the clinic the next day and one of the techs will wash your scalp for you. 

IMO the benefit of the scalp wash is moreso to make you feel fresh and clean. You can skip this wash and it should have zero impact on actual transplant results

If you do go back the next day, you can also likely have a post op meeting with Dr. Mwamba. This is really patient dependent though and depends on his schedule so definitely plan that in advance

Thanks HappyMan for the detailed reply.

Just on the first point regarding the communication, nope I wasn’t expecting too much more from the team. They provided some details when I booked the surgery like directions etc. I Was just wondering if it was standard practice for them or other surgeons to reach out close to the date with some prep details. All good on that though 

2. Cheers for that I can pick the aloe Vera, baby shampoo and travel pillow in Brussels

3. yes the wash isn’t essential. It was more because I’ve seen other patients post that they went back for it. I should be fine doing it by myself though if it can’t be accommodated 

Thanks for the advice on this 

On 8/16/2023 at 2:33 AM, RTC said:

I went back for three days to get my hair washed and they were very good for that.

Communication by email is awful otherwise, even if you are a post op patient.

Thanks RTC, did you arrange the washes in advance with Dr Mwamba or on the day of surgery.

How would you rate the experience with him - I read your thread. Outside of the lack of communication were you satisfied or disappointed. Thanks 

On 8/16/2023 at 2:20 PM, A_4_Archan said:

Its okay if you wear a loose fitting hat or the opposite ...grafts are well rooted after 10 days and any type or fitting hat would be fine

Its fine if you go to gym...after 10 days you just have to take care of your scalp as it takes more time to get completely healed and you have to avoid infection/inflammation so don't do things which can lead to that...usually some doctors advice not to do heavy lifting till 3 months because while doing that if something goes wrong than there is a chance you may get hit on head which can cause infection/inflammation..

This will always vary from person to person...some has more pain bearing tendency and some are very sensitive to it...

I hope this helps you..

For other doctor specific things only dr mwamba's patients can answer that...i

Cheers mate, good to get some feedback . I’m thinking  I’ll probably play it a little safer with the gym just to make sure. No point in rushing back too soon and causing issues just for the sake of a few days.

Hoping the anaesthesia isn’t as bad as some of the awful experiences some posters seemed to have had lol

6 hours ago, Ajamilo said:

@Harry90

what is the reasons for choosing him? You have a lot of doctors that is better than him and some are also cheaper as Dr.Pekiner. 
you are playing a roulette if u go with mwamba 

Hi Ajamilo, I chose Mwamba at the end of last year knowing he had availability for sure in Summer 2023. With the other doctors i mentioned there would have been a much longer wait time outside of someone else cancelling and me being able to jump in.

Mwamba seemed to have a good reputation on here up until recently as well . Pekiner I would def choose instead if I had the option of surgery tomorrow especially as he seems to produce great hairlines. But hoping I can get the best result possible and at least good improvement to what I have currently.

What are your main drawbacks with Mwamba ??

17 hours ago, Harry90 said:

Thanks RTC, did you arrange the washes in advance with Dr Mwamba or on the day of surgery.

How would you rate the experience with him - I read your thread. Outside of the lack of communication were you satisfied or disappointed. Thanks 

Washes arranged with Mwamba on the day, he said can you come at this time etc and we agreed on it.

Mwamba is a nice man but the surgeries take way too long. Other clinics don't stretch surgeries out till 1-2am, in my case, 6.30am in the morning.

I had mixed results with him.