Freitas or Pinto??

Hello all, 

I have recently shortlisted from a number of doctors to Dr De Freitas in Spain and Dr Bruno Pinto in Portugal. Their results seem to be consistently good and they have a similar proposal for my case which is about 3000 grafts in surgery 1 covering frontal third, hairline and slight temple work. They both then recommended a 2nd surgery 12 months later for about 1500 grafts on the crown. 

I have already had an in person consultation with Pinto and am due to have the same with De Freitas in September. I am asking now as I feel I will still find it hard to make a decision following the consult with Dr De Freitas. I loved the consultation with Pinto. He ran extremely late on the day but spent 1.5 hours with me! He seemed very considerate, knowledgable and I would say slightly conservative overall which I don’t think is a bad thing. I know Freitas doesn’t speak much English but is able to communicate via his team who speak good English but don’t want that to influence my decision!

Does anyone prefer one doctor over the other, and if so why? Would love to get your views.

Many thanks!

Edited by LostAndFound

• Valued Contributor

I would go with the doctor that you have the best communication with (I'm not talking about speaking the same language). Go with the one you feel you have the best rapport with and is happy to answer all of your questions including what is their policy if you are not happy with the results at 12 months. All the best!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LostAndFound said:

Hello all, 

I have recently shortlisted from a number of doctors to Dr De Freitas in Spain and Dr Bruno Pinto in Portugal. Their results seem to be consistently good and they have a similar proposal for my case which is about 3000 grafts in surgery 1 covering frontal third, hairline and slight temple work. They both then recommended a 2nd surgery 12 months later for about 1500 grafts on the crown. 

I have already had an in person consultation with Pinto and am due to have the same with De Freitas in September. I am asking now as I feel I will still find it hard to make a decision following the consult with Dr De Freitas. I loved the consultation with Pinto. He ran extremely late on the day but spent 1.5 hours with me! He seemed very considerate, knowledgable and I would say slightly conservative overall which I don’t think is a bad thing. I know Freitas doesn’t speak much English but is able to communicate via his team who speak good English but don’t want that to influence my decision!

Does anyone prefer one doctor over the other, and if so why? Would love to get your views.

Many thanks!

I don’t think you can go wrong with either, both very, very good. I had my surgery with Pinto in July this year and no complaints at all 

• Valued Contributor

@LostAndFound

Both are excellent and you won't go wrong with either of them...pinto has a long waiting list i think but its worth waiting for him....you just check out more results from both and than go with the one whom you are more confident of...if you wanna get more confused than you may look at dr Ferreira too 😅

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Thanks all for the replies. Appreciate its lot about who I feel confident with, and @Gatsby I have asked them the question you said I should be asking - thank you for that. However, I really was looking for people’s views or on whether one excels over the other in certain aspects. Results-wise, although both great, it looks to me that Pinto is a bit more conservative and Freitas does slightly better hairlines. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I chose Pinto over De Freitas because Pinto does all the work from Extraction to placement, where as with De Freitas does only the placement and extraction is done by tech (still graft picking is done by De Freitas I think).

Also, De Freitas does multiple surgeries in a day (I have heard from 2-3 in day) and split your case between two days whereas Pinto does only one surgery per day.

Also, I don't like the fact that De Freitas cases seemed a bit more aggressive and he does rows a lot which is not my preference.

I am surprised you got the same number of graft estimates from both. I would think De Freitas estimates are usually 400-500 higher because of his more aggressive designs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, coffeeandpie said:

I chose Pinto over De Freitas because Pinto does all the work from Extraction to placement, where as with De Freitas does only the placement and extraction is done by tech (still graft picking is done by De Freitas I think).

Also, De Freitas does multiple surgeries in a day (I have heard from 2-3 in day) and split your case between two days whereas Pinto does only one surgery per day.

Also, I don't like the fact that De Freitas cases seemed a bit more aggressive and he does rows a lot which is not my preference.

I am surprised you got the same number of graft estimates from both. I would think De Freitas estimates are usually 400-500 higher because of his more aggressive designs.

Yes, that’s right. Same number of grafts. Pinto will actually do the first procedure of approx. 3000 grafts over 2 days which is the same as Freitas proposal. 

I had an in-person consultation with both Dr. Pinto and Dr. De Freitas in April this year.

My consultation with Dr. De Freitas was quick which lasted maybe MAX 30 mins (if that) - he went through a powerpoint of the procedure and then inspected my hair fairly quickly using just his hands and a comb (no special instruments etc). I had let him know I had a previous transplant surgery and he didn't ask any questions or ask to see pictures with respect to that procedure whatsover which I found a bit strange. I know he does multiple surgeries per day which I did not end up feeling comfortable with, as the consultation itself felt like a production line to see prospective patients. He has obviously done well for himself as the facilities were very nice (posh area, has separate clinics in which he does consultations and where he does the surgery).

In contrast, Dr. Pinto spent around 2 hours during my consultation with him, which included a thorough examination of my hair/head using all the special equipment, taking pictures, discussing my previous transplant, informing me about nuances specific to my case which gave me a few insights I had not considered. And overall his personality and manner made the consultation an enjoyable experience.

I am booked with Dr. Pinto for December 2023.      

• Like 1

I think in general it is two doctors of very high quality and either of them should be able to give you a great outcome you would be happy with.

I had my own FUE session last week in Porto with Dr. Pinto so I am somewhat biased - what does stand out with him is that he has an impeccable attention to detail. Any questions feel free to PM. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 2:52 PM, GangB said:

in my opinion Dr. Rafael De Freitas

How come? De Freitas does a in row implant pattern. Looks unnatural. Remember that our native hair grows in an irregular pattern.

i have seen row placement of grafts in a few of Pinto’s cases, but most looks perfect

On 10/3/2023 at 9:49 AM, donpizmeov said:

I think in general it is two doctors of very high quality and either of them should be able to give you a great outcome you would be happy with.

I had my own FUE session last week in Porto with Dr. Pinto so I am somewhat biased - what does stand out with him is that he has an impeccable attention to detail. Any questions feel free to PM. 

Can you please post some pictures of your result?

I am now standing between Pekiner and Pinto

46 minutes ago, goatnole said:

How come? De Freitas does a in row implant pattern. Looks unnatural. Remember that our native hair grows in an irregular pattern.

i have seen row placement of grafts in a few of Pinto’s cases, but most looks perfect

To say that de Freitas results are unnatural is just not the truth. Your last several comments have been on posts regarding him and you are echoing the same concern about row implantation, which several doctors have now weighed in on and express it’s used to achieve density. His results speak for themselves and to steer people away from him is crazy to me. 

• Like 1

Doing grafts implant in rows makes it more unnatural compared with a no pattern graft implant. It doesn’t make the results more dense. You actually get a more see through effect. And with a buzz cut it gets very visible. Probably the reason for doing row implant is to save time and make it more easy.

You know and can’t deny that the natural hair growth is random and no pattern. 

De Freitas is a good surgeon, but could be even better. Here are two images of what happens if implants are done in rows + short hair. From the hair line and 3-4 cm up you can clearly see it.IMG_4236.jpeg.485454d050bda298997af05103bb8a47.jpegIMG_4235.thumb.jpeg.a334ce749a8865996a3de410a9fce4f9.jpeg

3 hours ago, goatnole said:

Doing grafts implant in rows makes it more unnatural compared with a no pattern graft implant. It doesn’t make the results more dense. You actually get a more see through effect. And with a buzz cut it gets very visible. Probably the reason for doing row implant is to save time and make it more easy.

You know and can’t deny that the natural hair growth is random and no pattern. 

De Freitas is a good surgeon, but could be even better. Here are two images of what happens if implants are done in rows + short hair. From the hair line and 3-4 cm up you can clearly see it.IMG_4236.jpeg.485454d050bda298997af05103bb8a47.jpegIMG_4235.thumb.jpeg.a334ce749a8865996a3de410a9fce4f9.jpeg

These photos you’re using to demonstrate “results” are less than 1 month post op?? 

3 hours ago, Will_the_way said:

These photos you’re using to demonstrate “results” are less than 1 month post op?? 

Does the implanted grafts change place after 1 month? They will be the same after 1 month, 5 months and 18 months 

• Administrators

@goatnole

What does this have to do with this thread? You’re de-railing this thread. If you’d like to discuss this create your own thread.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

18 minutes ago, coffeeandpie said:

@LostAndFound have you made a decision on the doctor?

Hi @coffeeandpie yes I have decided on Pinto. Feedback from yourself and others, coupler with how I felt during the Pinto consultation have helped me make that decision. I feel that Pinto really cares about his patients and will be good in the longer term in terms of donor management / after care. 

• Like 1