Why do hair transplant results have the Johnny Bravo look?

Is there any reason every hairtransplant grows up straight? Isn't that missing out on an opportunity to give a better illusion of density? I still have my hairline and my hair point away from my head and the angle lets smaller till the almost straight in centre, then similar pattern on the other side.

The "pompadour" hairstyle is just popular right now. It doesn't mean the transplanted hairs weren't angled properly, though that does sometimes happen depending on the clinic.

And yes, the way one's hair is styled affects the illusion of density significantly. With this particular hairstyle, the hairline is on full display. This is one reason why many hairline restoration procedures use more grafts out in front, along with grafts which have follicles that contain 2 or more hairs.

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000FU, Summer 2023

I honestly don’t like that look at all, I was also thinking the same thing if all transplanted hair just naturally stands up like that which I certainly hope is not the case. I prefer styling my hair downward having bangs covering the forehead. You definitely need to go to a skilled surgeon to prevent the hairs from sticking upward if you go to a hair mill you will have the Jonny bravo look 

• Valued Contributor

@singh

Not all but many...thats where skills of a surgeon plays an important part ...

And yeah how hard doctors try and how good their skills are its impossible to copy nature and thats the hard fact you need to understand before going for a surgery 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Also keep in mind that there are different hair types. If you go through transplant presentations, you will see that some brothers have hair that naturally angles downwards and offers more coverage whilst some of us unlucky ones have 'Korean style' hair that sticks straight out and needs considerable length and time in order to look proper and provide decent coverage. A skilled surgeon will always angle the hairs to match your natural direction/type. 

For NW6/7 slick bald cases with zero hair patches for reference up top, it could be trickier, but again, photos could be used to give the surgeon a good impression of your hair type and direction. 

@singh,

Hair styling has nothing to do with the hair transplant itself. Hair is transplanted by surgeons to mimic nature. In other words, transplant and hair is implanted the same direction and angle as natural hair and once the hair transplant grows in, you can grow and style your hair how you like.

As already suggested, the pompadour look happens to be in and many people style their hair that way because it’s popular and looks good.

Personally, I happen to wear my hair longer and others I’ve seen comb their hair all sorts of directions.

Some style it back, some style it off to the side with a part, some wear it quite short like a buzz cut and others style it by combing it forward with spikes at the front.

Of course, there are other hair styles as well. I’m only giving you a small sample of hairstyle examples that people typically choose.

At the end of the day, you want to find the hairstyle that works best for you.

Obviously, hair transplant surgery doesn’t re-create true density so sometimes finding a hairstyle that suits us best may look a bit different with a Hair Transplant then as if we had true density with no signs of hair loss.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

15 hours ago, singh said:

Is there any reason every hairtransplant grows up straight? Isn't that missing out on an opportunity to give a better illusion of density? I still have my hairline and my hair point away from my head and the angle lets smaller till the almost straight in centre, then similar pattern on the other side.

Yes it’s the way your incisions were made unfortunately. Instead of replicating a natural angulation some places do that which typically isn’t how our hair grows. But I really thought the Johnny bravo example was dead on and also made me laugh. 

• Administrators

That’s a popular hairstyle, but the broccoli haircut is popular among gen z crowd. It’s not, or at least shouldn’t be the angle of the hair, rather the hairstyle.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Two trains of thought on this

1. If you’ve had a receding hairline then all of a sudden you can style it like you never previously could…you will

2. Lesser skilled clinics pack the frontal first few rows out. The weird angles help hide the inability to create density right through that frontal 3rd region. Countless clinics show head shots with seemingly amazing results but never pics from above for this reason.