Is hair transplant an option for me? Using a hair system at the moment...

• Moderators

I agree with Gatsby and with your surgery scheduled for about 5 to 6 months from now, that should give you just enough time to really see how well the meds are doing. I said earlier I think you could get very good growth because of the hair piece covering it for so long. You say your first surgery is for the front, so you can just keep letting the meds work on the crown for a lot longer after that and see where you end up after another year.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

22 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I think you can get a good result with the right surgeon. However before you do I’d be interested in how much you benefit from your meds after 6-12 months. Especially in the lower crown and mid section. All the best! 

Thank you, appreciate the positive input! 

13 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I agree with Gatsby and with your surgery scheduled for about 5 to 6 months from now, that should give you just enough time to really see how well the meds are doing. I said earlier I think you could get very good growth because of the hair piece covering it for so long. You say your first surgery is for the front, so you can just keep letting the meds work on the crown for a lot longer after that and see where you end up after another year.

Yes that is right, first surgery is going to be frontal area only where I am clearly thinning more aggressively. Low key I am hoping that from now until my second surgery (which will easily be 12+ months), my crown can recover a bit more with the help of meds, and minimise the amount of grafts I will require to restore crown to an acceptable standard (I am not looking for 100% density, I don't mind if the crown appears slightly thinning)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I’d provide a small update regarding my minox + dut usage, it’s now been 2.5 months since I started taking the meds and around 3 months since I started growing out the hair on top of my head. 

Things are looking very positive, I believe it is minox mainly doing the heavy lifting for me. I really hope Dr Bicer can work with this diffuse pattern and minimise the grafts needed. Even though some are obviously thin hairs, it may still help with the “illusion of density” as less of the scalp will be visible, even though it may not be as dense (almost acting as natural hair fibres if that sorta makes sense).

I am surprised to see my hairline is back, even though it is diffused it has not receded much at all after all these years… I can only hope these vellus hairs become terminal and stay with dut. 

I am planning on upping the minox dose to 5mg starting next week. 

Pictures are taken under harsh lighting, whilst hair is wet and also whilst dry - interestingly it looks thinner when hair is dry (could be due to the harsh lighting).

Also added a picture with my ideal self drawn hairline if donor allows.

As always, would appreciate any thoughts/comments. 

IMG_9814.jpeg

IMG_9820.jpeg

IMG_9838.jpeg

Edited by Ccd99

• 4 weeks later...

You look like a good candidate. Norwood 4 with a seemingly good donor. Can't say if the overall density would be very good, but still, worth while exploring options if you want it!

20 hours ago, Cory said:

You look like a good candidate. Norwood 4 with a seemingly good donor. Can't say if the overall density would be very good, but still, worth while exploring options if you want it!

Thank you! I am diffuse thinning so it's probably hard to predict my exact pattern as I can also notice some thinning below my crown. I hope I caught it early and the meds can stop further hair loss there.

I have managed to snatch a last minute cancelled consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - I am flying out in 2 weeks to see him. Based on that I'll decide if I want to stick with Dr Bicer or go with Dr Ferreira.

Looking forward to being seen by Dr. Bruno Ferreira in a few weeks, but in the meantime here's my progress photos 3.5 months after starting dut & min medication (+ saw palmetto + biotin/multi vitamins).

Very pleased with the regrowth thus far! 

IMG_0243-resized.thumb.jpg.10d2418e3a3ec0b01fd7924891f2d8e0.jpgIMG_0242-resized.thumb.jpg.828feb2b6432aee911871f3e3bbfb9b2.jpgIMG_0244-resized.thumb.jpg.4df9653d4b7480734abe1a820967e85f.jpgIMG_0241-resized.thumb.jpg.d1713873a8576966736f818639478e1b.jpgIMG_0245-resized.thumb.jpg.3df30210d8d301691a480394380b7fd0.jpg

33 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Wow if this is only 3.5 months by 12 months you might be able to have very minimal surgery if any! 👊🏻 Stick with the meds religiously because you are a great responder. All the best! 👌

Thanks! It's hard to say how much of this is just my native hair growth (as my head has been covered with a hair piece and shaved every 2 weeks for the last 6 years) and how much of it can be attributed to the medication, but either way I am pleased and anything I can do to reduce the amount of grafts is a good thing :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had my consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira, here's a quick summary:

• Diagnosis: Alopecia NW5V
  • Donor hair is good, a lot of multi-grafts
  • Enough capacity for 7500 grafts, and easily another 2000 grafts from beard if needed
  • Some miniaturisation in donor hair but good chance it will stabilise with the meds I am taking (almost approaching 4 months on meds now)
  • Hair thickness 60 microns
  • Hair density 100 fu/cm^2 (was surprised by this myself but that is what the doctor said!)
  • Size of thinning areas:
    • Front 84 cm^2 (proposing to implant at 40  FU/cm^2)
    • Mid-scalp 36 cm^2 (proposing to implant at 25 FU/cm^2)
    • Crown: 91 cm^2 (proposing to implant at 25 FU/cm^2)
  • Surgical plan:
    • 1st surgery frontal third 3000-3500 grafts
    • 2nd surgery 5 months later mid-scalp and crown 2500 grafts
    • 3rd surgery 12 months later 1500 grafts for touching up (completely optional and dependent on results from first 2 surgeries)
  • He also said 2nd surgery might need to be re-planned if the meds are working for me I may not need as much of an intervention

In general, I was very impressed by the doctor and his clinic and I am seriously considering cancelling my surgery with Dr Bicer... the only drawback is Dr Ferreira is a lot more expensive and the earliest he can get me in is October next year.

I guess I got some thinking to do...

(consultation photos attached)

0001.png

0002.png

0003.png

0004.png

0005.png

0006.png

0007.png

0008.png

0009.png

0010.png

Edited by Ccd99

4 hours ago, Ccd99 said:

Had my consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira, here's a quick summary:

• Diagnosis: Alopecia NW5V
  • Donor hair is good, a lot of multi-grafts
  • Enough capacity for 7500 grafts, and easily another 2000 grafts from beard if needed
  • Some miniaturisation in donor hair but good chance it will stabilise with the meds I am taking (almost approaching 4 months on meds now)
  • Hair thickness 60 microns
  • Hair density 100 fu/cm^2 (was surprised by this myself but that is what the doctor said!)
  • Size of thinning areas:
    • Front 84 cm^2 (proposing to implant at 40  FU/cm^2)
    • Mid-scalp 36 cm^2 (proposing to implant at 25 FU/cm^2)
    • Crown: 91 cm^2 (proposing to implant at 25 FU/cm^2)
  • Surgical plan:
    • 1st surgery frontal third 3000-3500 grafts
    • 2nd surgery 5 months later mid-scalp and crown 2500 grafts
    • 3rd surgery 12 months later 1500 grafts for touching up (completely optional and dependent on results from first 2 surgeries)
  • He also said 2nd surgery might need to be re-planned if the meds are working for me I may not need as much of an intervention

In general, I was very impressed by the doctor and his clinic and I am seriously considering cancelling my surgery with Dr Bicer... the only drawback is Dr Ferreira is a lot more expensive and the earliest he can get me in is October next year.

I guess I got some thinking to do...

(consultation photos attached)

0001.png

0002.png

0003.png

0004.png

0005.png

0006.png

0007.png

0008.png

0009.png

0010.png

If I were in your shoes, I would cancel Bicer and go for Ferreira. Absolutely no doubt. Don’t rush this. You have waited for so long, so 11 months extra shouldn’t be a stress.
Ferreira is a top notch doctor, the A-league 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, toon_toon said:

If I were in your shoes, I would cancel Bicer and go for Ferreira. Absolutely no doubt. Don’t rush this. You have waited for so long, so 11 months extra shouldn’t be a stress.
Ferreira is a top notch doctor, the A-league 

Thanks, appreciate your input.. I am starting to lean towards Dr Ferreira - I have until the weekend to make my mind up if I want to secure the October slot. Bicer will refund 50% of my deposit which is better than nothing.

Edited by Ccd99

On 7/30/2023 at 9:14 AM, Ccd99 said:

I found some old photos from about 1 or 2 years before I started wearing a hair system - these photos are from 2015 (I started wearing in 2017). This was when I was actively taking Fin for about 1 year. 

Looking back I wish I went for a HT instead, my crown/back of scalp are still in a great state IMO, and I would have just needed to address the front to mid-scalp area. When I did start wearing I went for a front partial piece only, but it was hard to blend that in well so over time I just transitioned to a full top piece instead even though I had natural hair available at the crown still.

In these pictures my hair is wet and before I have applied any hair fibres/concealer

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

This thread is a prime example of how important medication is, it’s insane how much hair OP lost in just a couple years. 

13 hours ago, Sunset Dune said:

This thread is a prime example of how important medication is, it’s insane how much hair OP lost in just a couple years. 

My hair loss was definitely more aggressive during my 20s and continuing medication would've helped maintain my mid-scalp and crown for sure, but unfortunately back then I was not as knowledgeable about preventing hair loss. I tried Finasteride for 2 years hoping it would regrow but it obviously didn't and I just sorta stopped. I didn't even know oral Minoxidil was a thing back then (2014/2015) otherwise I would've tried that as well.

Anyway I'm positive not all hope is lost and have made a decision to cancel with Dr Bicer and book in with Dr Ferreira for October 2024.

I'll keep this thread updated with any gains of my native hair regrowth and thickening over the next 11 months.

Thanks all!

Edited by Ccd99

• 2 weeks later...

5 months growth - 4 months 2 weeks since start of meds:

image.thumb.png.1b46048906c719bb7f8e1fd5c07e9a44.png

If this is as good as it gets I'll take it, hopefully this means a reduction in grafts required.

Regarding my surgery with Dr Ferreira, unfortunately when I came to book it October was already taken, so now I've got a confirmed surgery date of start of December 2024 now.

Edited by Ccd99
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2023 at 2:33 PM, Ccd99 said:

5 months growth - 4 months 2 weeks since start of meds:

image.thumb.png.1b46048906c719bb7f8e1fd5c07e9a44.png

If this is as good as it gets I'll take it, hopefully this means a reduction in grafts required.

Regarding my surgery with Dr Ferreira, unfortunately when I came to book it October was already taken, so now I've got a confirmed surgery date of start of December 2024 now.

Wow stunning result from only 5 months of medications, you will definitely improve more.

About dutasteride, did you notice any difference regarding your libido? Like morning wood and in general your sexual arousal? Are you taking 0.5 mg every day?

18 hours ago, NorwoodKnight said:

Wow stunning result from only 5 months of medications, you will definitely improve more.

About dutasteride, did you notice any difference regarding your libido? Like morning wood and in general your sexual arousal? Are you taking 0.5 mg every day?

Thank you, I feel like results have slowed down since, not much improvement but it's still early only 6 months on meds . By the time I will be going for surgery it will be close to 16 months on meds so hoping for a little bit more improvement!

No absolutely no difference whatsoever, I think my body tolerates the drug well.. or perhaps I just have super high DHT :)

Yes I take 0.5mg every day

Edited by Ccd99
  • Like 1

@Ccd99 I think with the right surgeon, you will have an excellent outcome. 11 months out isn't too bad, typically most reputable doctors have a 1 year long wait list, some even have wait lists of 2 - 3 years. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

Here are some more recent pics, this marks exactly 6 months on meds and about 6.5 months of growing out the hair.

Not a drastic improvement, from now I think things will just move very slowly

NOTE: still wearing a hair system, hair is a wet/damp here, not fully dry!

Top - with harsh ceiling light:

IMG_1462.thumb.JPG.d4571fded6f4ec958aaf3a1de3590979.JPG

Top - with flash light:

IMG_1456.thumb.JPG.395ee484c76c6b9631126b98a347f6fc.JPG

Top/front - with flash light:

IMG_1454.thumb.JPG.894efb1701aae0bbc607a135e1f5f464.JPG

Top/front - with ceiling light:

IMG_1453.thumb.JPG.a6ef0225595743102a1bcd8ccb0e4805.JPG

Top/front - with less ceiling light:

IMG_1455.thumb.JPG.50609e8cc3c54fefe9e3d14eb8a1b8f6.JPG

Front - with ceiling light:

IMG_1445.thumb.JPG.bdb7b125f026e3087e613d48aa1ec733.JPG

Crown - with harsh ceiling light:

IMG_1444.thumb.JPG.6cf399784106ae368be667f6cc5dc6b0.JPG

Crown - with flash light:

IMG_1443.thumb.JPG.1b4db152d53b080c004801ec4d4d5bba.JPG

Donor back - good to see my crown dip thinning basically reversed with the meds:

CIMG_1436.thumb.JPG.49787abee3b95c6c5166d07b6b0851a5.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

This is a massive improvement on your baseline. You will benefit even more over the next six months and will require less grafts and spend less money should you go ahead in the future with surgery. All the best. 

Thank you @Gatsby - I think I just need to stop monitoring my progress every 2 weeks lol and wait a few months before comparing progress again.

I agree from baseline I have improved so much, but the hair at the top is still fine/brittle in places so the meds need more time to do their thing.

I have about 10 more months until surgery so that should be time enough for things to get to a stable state.

Edited by Ccd99