My 3rd FUT and very happy so far :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 4:16 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

Did you get a lot of shock loss? Can you post a picture of how you looked after your 2nd fut?

First 3 pics are after my 2nd fut.

Last 4 pics are current (6 months post op) my 3rd FUT

One can clearly see how weak my hairline was after my 2nd fut.

Ive also been on oral finasteride for a year now and believe this has helped retain some hair.

My current hairline is strong, even at only 6 months post op.

IMG_5811.jpeg

IMG_5801.jpeg

IMG_5807.jpeg

IMG_5810.jpeg

IMG_5809.jpeg

IMG_5782.jpeg

IMG_5785.jpeg

Edited by Betterhair
Grammatical error

• 3 weeks later...

This is a interesting one... After already having 2 previous FUTs you have now gone for a 3rd and it seems to be paying off well. 

However I was curious on how the previous FUTs were, did they initially show growth and a fair result? Or was the graft count quite low for them? Can you say who did the previous work? 

It's good this is showing growth, I'm just not sure the 2.5k grafts in that area are enough. What's the long term plan? Switching to FUE

I'm also curious if you're on any med regime? 

Edited by Britanium

My first FUT was not a good experience in terms of graft count, which was supposed to be around 2000 in the frontal region.It was performed but Dr Blaine Lehr in Oklahoma City back in 2007. He is a dermatologist and had just started performing HT’s. Ironically , he stopped performing HT’s after just a year or so. I was naive and really just went to the closest clinic. Looking back, I don’t believe 2000 grafts were transplanted! I was on 1 mg oral finasteride for 3 years after the surgery. Fast forward to 2017 during which time my hair slowly continued to fall out, probably due to stopping finasteride but who knows. I then, after careful research , decided to go with Dr Arocha( recommend per this forum) in Houston . 
2500 grafts( frontal and mid) with him and was really pleased with his communication with me post surgery. No finasteride after this surgery even though he suggested it and gave me a prescription for it.
Fast forward 6 years to 2023 and I decided to go with Dr. Scott Alexander(2500 frontal)in Phoenix. I researched some of his work on here and various other forums and felt confident going with him. My goal with Alexander was to get my crown filled in but at his consultation, my wife and the Doc suggested I thicken up my frontal region instead of the crown. 
My hair now , is really thickening up and I will probably have one last surgery with Alexander to fill in the crown.

I think my case is a prime example of the necessity to take finasteride in order to keep the hair you have. I believe the transplanted hairs have stood  their ground but the surrounding native hairs kept falling out.

I am currently on 1 mg finasteride now for 1 year. My plan is to grow out my hair as it is thick and has natural curl. 
Looking back at all this, I don’t believe the actual graft count promised was actually done. Do the math, 7000 grafts total , should cover a large portion of my head.

Edited by Betterhair
Typo

1 minute ago, Betterhair said:

My first FUT was not a good experience in terms of graft count, which was supposed to be around 2000 in the frontal region.It was performed but Dr Blaine Lehr in Oklahoma City back in 2007. He is a dermatologist and had just started performing HT’s. I was naive and really just went to the closest clinic. Looking back, I don’t believe 2000 grafts were transplanted! I was on 1 mg oral finasteride for 3 years after the surgery. Fast forward to 2017 during which time my hair slowly continued to fall out, probably due to stopping finasteride but who knows. I then, after careful research , decided to go with Dr Arocha( recommend per this forum) in Houston . 
2500 grafts( frontal and mid) with him and was really pleased with his communication with me post surgery. No finasteride after this surgery even though he suggested it and gave me a prescription for it.
Fast forward 6 years to 2023 and I decided to go with Dr. Scott Alexander(2500 frontal)in Phoenix. I researched some of his work on here and various other forums and felt confident going with him. My goal with Alexander was to get my crown filled in but at his consultation, my wife and the Doc suggested I thicken up my frontal region instead of the crown. 
My hair now , is really thickening up and I will probably have one last surgery with Alexander to fill in the crown.

I think my case is a prime example of the necessity to take finasteride in order to keep the hair you have. I believe the transplanted hairs have stood  their ground but the surrounding native hairs kept falling out.

I am currently on 1 mg finasteride now for 1 year. My plan is to grow out my hair as it is thick and has natural curl. 
Looking back at all this, I don’t believe the actual graft count promised was actually done. Do the math, 7000 grafts total , should cover a large portion of my head.

Exactly that, I don't belive they would have planted anything like 2k for you're 1st ht. Most people are lucky to get vast amount of grafts from FUT alone. I had 2 myself before moving on to FUE

How is the FUT scar after those 3 Hts? Did you find it had stretched at all? 

Dr Alexander did exceptional work on the scar. He commented that there were some areas on the scar ( prior to his surgery) that had open spots with no hair! But was able to salvage what he could with his strip. My scar now is very minimal with no shock loss or stretching. He really took his time suturing and was picky in keeping everything sterile and clean.

I feel really good with my current state. It’s been frustrating at times but I know I will eventually get there. 
I can’t stand my crown right now but will just use fibers as best I can to conceal or grow my hair to somehow cover until I get that filled,

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 2/5/2024 at 8:57 PM, Betterhair said:

My goal with Alexander was to get my crown filled in but at his consultation, my wife and the Doc suggested I thicken up my frontal region instead of the crown. 

After seeing your pictures from before this 3rd FUT I agree with your wife and Dr that it was better to transplant the front. You were very thin through the entire front and adding grafts their looks like it's really improving your look.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

52 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

After seeing your pictures from before this 3rd FUT I agree with your wife and Dr that it was better to transplant the front. You were very thin through the entire front and adding grafts their looks like it's really improving your look.

I truly appreciate your response. I now have a well established hairline and am excited to see more thickening in the next few months. 
Thank God my wife was with me :)

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Okay… I’m exactly 8 months post op. Finally have a strong hairline:)

I don’t style my hair back like this but wanted to reveal the hairline :)

Thank you Dr Scott Alexander!!

IMG_6078.jpeg

IMG_6077.jpeg

IMG_6076.jpeg

IMG_6074.jpeg

Edited by Betterhair
Added more info
  • Like 2

Let’s do a before and after :)

This is life changing!!! Psychologically, I’m so healthy and happy! Yes… I still need to address the crown but at least my face is now framed and I have 4 months to go! 
Couldn’t be happier :)

IMG_6043.jpeg

IMG_6078.jpeg

• Like 4

• Moderators

Looks excellent.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Good result! But just curious why also FUT for your third transplant. For your first i can understand because it was a long time who, but nowadays FUT seems the “old method”. And what about your scars at the back of your head? 

3 hours ago, Oben said:

Good result! But just curious why also FUT for your third transplant. For your first i can understand because it was a long time who, but nowadays FUT seems the “old method”. And what about your scars at the back of your head? 

With my last FUT , the doctor revised the existing scars. He  did an amazing job, you can hardly tell there is a scar . Also, from what I’ve read, FUT provides more yield of grafts per cm from the strip as opposed to FUE.