Minoxidil side effects un-noticed.

Guy73

So I have been using this stuff for about 6 years. I usually only use the foam. I tried the liquid but find foam easier. I never really thought I had any side effects. My heart seemed fine and never gave it much thought. I have stopped for a few weeks each transplant. Now I have a job where I am always on my feet. It’s kinda subtle but one day I notice my sock giving a impression on my skin when I take them off. Nothing crazy but my ankles. Sometimes if I bend down for a period of time the back of my calves would hurt for days after. Never thought much of it. 
I read somewhere minoxidil can give you Endema(excess fluid trapped in the body's tissues.) now I am a vary fit person so I never really noticed visually  

So I cold turkey stopped!! What a difference in my legs!! Seriously I can bend down for hours if I want now and next day be fine!! My socks don’t leave imprints anymore on my legs!! I feel better than I ever did! So far, it’s only been a few weeks my hair is fine. I am still doing laser and some essential oils ( which I mix it up every batch)

Never again will I put that crap on my head!!

I was so used to it, I never though it affected my health but now I know it does. And I was just doing the foam! Lol

🤞

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

• Administrators

How’s the hair? Has it taken a hit?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

How’s the hair? Has it taken a hit?

Not yet. I really think the essential oils I use are just as effective. Time will tell. I will follow up after a few months to see if my theory is correct. 

I've been using the 5% foam for about a year now and have gotten great results. One thing I consider sometimes is moving to a "maintenance schedule" of applying twice per week instead of my usual 5-7 days per week. I'd suspect that once you reach about a year of daily use you've reached your full "regrowth potential" and that you can maintain your gains at a lower overall dose. No one's studied this obviously but I'd be willing to bet money that it would work. 

I would bet most people using minoxidil in any form are retaining water. Here is a sure test, get a pair of compression stockings that go up to below your knees. Wear them a whole day and I will bet you would see all your lower fluid push up to your knees. When you take them off you can see this. Go off minoxidil for about 3-4 days and wear those stockings again and when you take them off barley notice much of a difference. There will be no fluid noticeable above the stockings. 

On 7/17/2023 at 9:34 PM, GoliGoliGoli said:

I've been using the 5% foam for about a year now and have gotten great results. One thing I consider sometimes is moving to a "maintenance schedule" of applying twice per week instead of my usual 5-7 days per week. I'd suspect that once you reach about a year of daily use you've reached your full "regrowth potential" and that you can maintain your gains at a lower overall dose. No one's studied this obviously but I'd be willing to bet money that it would work. 

You may be right. I have been using essential oils in combination with minoxidil about the same amount of time. I am going to see if they maintain what I have. I am also testing out a supplement called astaxanthin only 4mg a day. Supposedly blocks DHT very well.  Even if not, it does something to make your hair grow. I have read a few studies on this. 
I never read anything about it in the hairloss industry but I am willing to be the Guinea pig 🐷

Edited by Guy73

• 8 months later...

Update. It’s been almost a year off minoxidil and I can talk from experience. 
it took about 3 months before I noticed any real shedding and boy was it a lot. I thought I would be a Norwood 7 at the rate my hair was falling out. It lasted for weeks if not over a month of non stop shedding. I felt like I was losing 200 hairs a day that I could see in the sink. I freaked out and shaved my head so I didn’t have to see it anymore. I figured I just have to relax and wait and see hopefully it grows back. My hair looked horrible for about 5-6 months and I can honestly say it was best thing I ever did. It did start looking better and my scalp feels healthier. Basically I think it takes a while for your hair to go back to a normal cycle. Now almost a year later I notice hardly any hair shed what so ever. I can rub my hair vigorously and be lucky to see one hair in the sink. I will never touch the stuff again. Although my hair did look good on it I feel much better off it and hair looks healthier now. 😃