BHT behind the hairline (not in)

• Moderators

I've got some beard hair on the hair line and lots of beard and chest hair just behind it. It looks fine on me. The thing is, beard hair varies greatly between people, so even if it grows straight and blends with scalp hair nicely on one person, that doesn't mean it will look the same on someone with a different type of beard hair. If you currently grow a beard then take a good assessment of how curly, coarse, and wiry it is. The softer it is and the more it matches with your scalp hair then the better it will turn out. Also keep in mind that almost everyone who had beard hair done says it softens at least somewhat over time. I can say that has been the case with mine as well, so even if it doesn't look so great at 6 or 9 months after the transplant, it will most likely improve over the next year or two. Most "After" pics you will find of beard hair being used won't be at the 2 to 3 year mark after it's softened up, so keep that in mind. I think people see the 9 month pics and think beard hair looks terrible. It usually does at that point. It gets better from there.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

thanks man

do you have photos of the front?

2 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I've got some beard hair on the hair line and lots of beard and chest hair just behind it. It looks fine on me. The thing is, beard hair varies greatly between people, so even if it grows straight and blends with scalp hair nicely on one person, that doesn't mean it will look the same on someone with a different type of beard hair. If you currently grow a beard then take a good assessment of how curly, coarse, and wiry it is. The softer it is and the more it matches with your scalp hair then the better it will turn out. Also keep in mind that almost everyone who had beard hair done says it softens at least somewhat over time. I can say that has been the case with mine as well, so even if it doesn't look so great at 6 or 9 months after the transplant, it will most likely improve over the next year or two. Most "After" pics you will find of beard hair being used won't be at the 2 to 3 year mark after it's softened up, so keep that in mind. I think people see the 9 month pics and think beard hair looks terrible. It usually does at that point. It gets better from there.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RTC said:

thanks man

do you have photos of the front?

I'm posting a link to the last 2 procedures. I had a lot of grafts placed in the frontal area prior to these as well, but not directly on the hair line. Some were just behind it though. I'll try to find some immediate post op pics of grafts in the frontal from earlier procedures. I guess I need to take an After pic now too.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

I got beard hair in my midscalp. I can tell the difference some times. The hairs are usually thicker and a little more kinky. But it all depends on your hair type. If you have coarse kinky hair, you probably won’t tell much of a difference, as long as its blended.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

The caliber of beard hair is a lot thicker. It also is a lot more uncooperative than scalp hair. When blended with scalp grafts further back up to the rear of the vertex it gives great coverage as well as body to the end result.

Yep, Gats is spot on…probably a blend ratio of approximately 65% scalp and 35% beard for most individuals.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You wouldn’t be able to have much of hairstyle, they behave like strays with a mind of their own and they are thicker and really weird compared to scalp hair. 

You get people complaining when clinics don’t use singles/softer hair in hairline, beard hairs are far worse than that. 

I always thought I could get body hair transplant but now that I have had it, I don’t want a single beard hair. It’s just not the same as scalp hairs. And also they grows really slow. 

I guess for slick bald people beard hair give them coverage and they’re happy but for people who actually love to have great hair and style them, they’re useless. I don’t like them.