What would be an appropriate dosage of dutasteride if I get side effects from it?

ajsr8

Finasteride stopped working for me so I was switched to dutasteride. However, dutasteride gives me side effects so I'm wondering if I could use it at a lower dose in conjunction with finasteride, say DUT 1x week and FIN 6x week, or DUT 2x week and FIN 5x week. Has anyone used dutasteride like this, instead of taking it everyday? Is it effective and worth doing?

Thanks 

24 minutes ago, ajsr8 said:

Finasteride stopped working for me so I was switched to dutasteride. However, dutasteride gives me side effects so I'm wondering if I could use it at a lower dose in conjunction with finasteride, say DUT 1x week and FIN 6x week, or DUT 2x week and FIN 5x week. Has anyone used dutasteride like this, instead of taking it everyday? Is it effective and worth doing?

Thanks 

If Fin has stopped working why take it at all? just try the Dut on its own as you suggested, once a week or twice a week? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

If Fin has stopped working why take it at all? just try the Dut on its own as you suggested, once a week or twice a week? 

Perhaps that was bad wording. I wouldn't say that fin has stopped working but its lost its effectiveness for me. Without fin I would probably be even worse. 

I want to take dut once or twice a week with fin but there aren't any studies on this sort of dosage so I'm not sure if I risk doing further damage to my hair by doing this. 

Edited by ajsr8

I started fin less than 3 years ago.

Had a hair transplant 2.5 years ago.

Use Regaine 1x daily most days (foam).

When I first started using Fin my hair loss slowed dramatically.

Then when I got my transplant (1 year later) my hair was fairly pleasing.

Now - in the last year or so - I've been losing a lot of hair. Brushed out about 100 hairs this afternoon in the bathroom. Can't get my hair cut or styled anymore the same way I could 18 months ago.

My theory is that Fin has lost a lot of its power on me, although I wonder what it would be like if I come off it?

The way my hair is going I'm thinking of:

A) Switching to dut to see if that thickens up my thinning hair

Or

B) Not taking dut, ditching Fin + minoxidil and just shaving it off.

16 hours ago, ssimpson7511 said:

I always wonder how people come to the conclusion that fin has stopped working, its pretty unlikely, how do you come to the conclusion its stopped working, most will still lose hair on Fin.

I'm 22 and lost a lot of hair so my hair loss is much more aggressive compared to someone who is thinning in their 30s.

• Valued Contributor
12 hours ago, Rossybop said:

I started fin less than 3 years ago.

Had a hair transplant 2.5 years ago.

Use Regaine 1x daily most days (foam).

When I first started using Fin my hair loss slowed dramatically.

Then when I got my transplant (1 year later) my hair was fairly pleasing.

Now - in the last year or so - I've been losing a lot of hair. Brushed out about 100 hairs this afternoon in the bathroom. Can't get my hair cut or styled anymore the same way I could 18 months ago.

My theory is that Fin has lost a lot of its power on me, although I wonder what it would be like if I come off it?

The way my hair is going I'm thinking of:

A) Switching to dut to see if that thickens up my thinning hair

Or

B) Not taking dut, ditching Fin + minoxidil and just shaving it off.

Shaving your head would liberate you from life long further surgeries, thousands and thousands of dollars, drugs, everything. If you can do it you’ve won. 

Edited by Gatsby

• Administrators
On 6/9/2023 at 7:07 AM, Big Rome said:

I would say 0.5mg ED of dut is the preferred dosage. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.