FUE Cobblestones

IMG_2399.thumb.jpeg.2a86465cfd69857d63608702e5a8da5f.jpegIMG_2398.thumb.jpeg.d333f1fc073c5d365d81a3fe0afdc589.jpegI had an FUE done over a year and half ago and notice a bunch of bumps on my head were the follicles where transplanted. I was told the bumps are normal and to use tretinoin which will help flatten them. 
I am no doctor but I am positive the bumps are not acne as they been there since day one of the transplant and I don’t feel tretinoin will flatten these bumps. 

It’s very embarrassing as the bumps can be seen with hair or if I shave my head. It looks like something you see on a kids doll or something. 

From what I read online, the bumps are called cobblestones and it’s an error on the doctor with the puncture incisions not deep enough or excess skin not taking off of the hair follicles. Can someone please confirm these are cobblestone and what can be done to fix the bumps? Should the doctor be responsible to fix these? I got the transplant done in Northern California, US. 
Thanks. 

Hi, 

I have attached some photos I took right after the surgery and the last twoIMG_3031.jpeg.d27acf200f70bd4b42e9f3fbab72ef41.jpegIMG_3028.thumb.jpeg.4288e899b923203fa60c3531422081ef.jpegIMG_3029.thumb.jpeg.614d8628c944f9fdef3692c7fe25ce3c.jpegIMG_3030.thumb.jpeg.b7d863087d51b670d5318ce7bbc81466.jpegIMG_3032.thumb.jpeg.7c5f4a0d2af9ca153f303c5d4ba47921.jpegIMG_3033.thumb.jpeg.6ac39af913bf0bf6333d5a1588456878.jpeg will be two weeks after the surgery. Sorry about the clarity of the photos, I used my iPhone. 
I haven’t been seen another clinic but I might just do that. I had relocated to Montana, do you know of any good ones out here? 

Sadly this looks bad since you can not hide it either when you grow out your hair. I have heard dermarolling should help a little bit but idk to be honest. Have you tried talk with a dermatologist?

these bumps are  always tricky and nasty unfortunately, do meet a reputed HT surgeon in US i think konior is good, or any other good ones recommended by this forum, I also had minor bumps (do see my case ) but still not sure is it because of thick grafts or cobblestoning for me doctor said it was not cobblestoning, in your case I can see single grafts but then also bumps are there, from what i have heard it can be hidden using properly placed grafts around it (this was done in my case), I m currently on 3.5 months after my repair HT but still in certain lighting conditions i can see small lined bumps lets see if it improves in coming months

In your case are these bumps visible in all lighting conditions and angle or only from a particular angle or lighting condition ??

Edited by WoundedWolf

19 hours ago, Ajamilo said:

Sadly this looks bad since you can not hide it either when you grow out your hair. I have heard dermarolling should help a little bit but idk to be honest. Have you tried talk with a dermatologist?

I have been using tretinoin which is not doing anything to the bumps, it’s just fading my SMP.
Shouldn't the HT doctor be responsible for fixing this? Isn’t this considered malpractice? I got this done in California so I am sure there’s some kind of laws that protect us  

I haven’t spoken with a dermatologist but that’s not a bad idea. 
thanks. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WoundedWolf said:

these bumps are  always tricky and nasty unfortunately, do meet a reputed HT surgeon in US i think konior is good, or any other good ones recommended by this forum, I also had minor bumps (do see my case ) but still not sure is it because of thick grafts or cobblestoning for me doctor said it was not cobblestoning, in your case I can see single grafts but then also bumps are there, from what i have heard it can be hidden using properly placed grafts around it (this was done in my case), I m currently on 3.5 months after my repair HT but still in certain lighting conditions i can see small lined bumps lets see if it improves in coming months

In your case are these bumps visible in all lighting conditions and angle or only from a particular angle or lighting condition ??

I seen your photos and I can barely see your bumps. I think you will be good once everything heals. unfortunately for me, I noticed these bumps a few weeks after everything started to heal. I figured it was part of the healing process. 

I can see the bumps with hair and with a shaved or low cut hair. I am hoping the HT doctor will make good and fix it or he might let his pride and ego get in the way and say it’s not cobblestones. It’s very noticeable and I can catch people looking at my scalp when talking with them. 
I don’t know what to do as my job doesn’t allow hats  

4 minutes ago, JoeFromFrisco said:

I seen your photos and I can barely see your bumps. I think you will be good once everything heals. unfortunately for me, I noticed these bumps a few weeks after everything started to heal. I figured it was part of the healing process. 

I can see the bumps with hair and with a shaved or low cut hair. I am hoping the HT doctor will make good and fix it or he might let his pride and ego get in the way and say it’s not cobblestones. It’s very noticeable and I can catch people looking at my scalp when talking with them. 
I don’t know what to do as my job doesn’t allow hats  

I think ur previous doctor wont be able to fix because he wont be skilled to do it (its a risk to go to the same doctor), you might have 1 shot to fix this now so take your time, do research thoroughly, have a consultation with Good HT surgeons only recommended ones by this forum, also see the other cases results from this forum to pick up a good HT surgeon...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, BaldV said:

Hi, I think your cobblestoning is very minor, you can find these even in results of the most reputable surgeons

Hi, do you know what’s the process of smoothing out the cobblestones? Is this something I can do with a Dr. Pen (micro needling gun)?

Cheers. 

• Moderators

This looks rather minor and may possibly flatten out on its own after a few years.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 12/26/2023 at 5:00 AM, BeHappy said:

This looks rather minor and may possibly flatten out on its own after a few years.

I hope so because it’s very noticeable when the light hits it. 

• 2 weeks later...