Pros if any of FUT?

43 minutes ago, arthurSam said:

Form Hair Transplan Forum International Volume 31 - Number 3 - May/June (2021):

Removed link

qm6-nwbMnMqctZ-IK7q5pnD6J5RrEcQeKXg6aDQoar8.webp.43784e4f1aab93390129f21c5c0a281e.webp

if you thin to norwood 7 you shouldnt get any ht imho

you wont come even close to full coverage if you bald but at the safe zone? regardless of fut or fue

4 hours ago, arthurSam said:

Form Hair Transplan Forum International Volume 31 - Number 3 - May/June (2021):

Removed link

qm6-nwbMnMqctZ-IK7q5pnD6J5RrEcQeKXg6aDQoar8.webp.43784e4f1aab93390129f21c5c0a281e.webp

Very interesting. So really fut does get more lifetimes grafts if done first and may prevent miniaturization of that hair in the future?

• Administrators

Lifetime grafts is dependent on the individual. This whole argument is nonsensical because hair restoration is individual. If you’re indeed a Norwood 7, there’s a possibility your strip would thin as well. @BeHappy is a good example. 

The assumption that everyone will become a Norwood 7 is absurd. The reality is that Norwood 7 is an extreme just like a Norwood 0.

For me as an example, my healthiest, thickest hair is above the so-called “universal zone” this hair is my most resistant hair. If I had strip, all of this high-quality hair wouldn’t be used. 

That’s why these claims that it gets the healthiest hair, or lifetime grafts is nonsense. This is all dependent on the individual.

IMG_6558.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Lifetime grafts is dependent on the individual. This whole argument is nonsensical because hair restoration is individual. If you’re indeed a Norwood 7, there’s a possibility your strip would thin as well. @BeHappy is a good example. 

The assumption that everyone will become a Norwood 7 is absurd. The reality is that Norwood 7 is an extreme just like a Norwood 0.

For me as an example, my healthiest, thickest hair is above the so-called “universal zone” this hair is my most resistant hair. If I had strip, all of this high-quality hair wouldn’t be used. 

That’s why these claims that it gets the healthiest hair, or lifetime grafts is nonsense. This is all dependent on the individual.

IMG_6558.jpeg

It seems NW6-7 is still happening more so among young hair loss sufferers as they age. Very interesting point though. Everyone is different for sure. But when buzzed down are all those white dots much better than a linear scar? Maybe it is different for everyone and how they heal but seeing some users on YouTube and even Mr Rolandos show what a fade looks like I think the fue scarring is just as bad aesthetically as fut scar

22 minutes ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

It seems NW6-7 is still happening more so among young hair loss sufferers as they age. Very interesting point though. Everyone is different for sure. But when buzzed down are all those white dots much better than a linear scar? Maybe it is different for everyone and how they heal but seeing some users on YouTube and even Mr Rolandos show what a fade looks like I think the fue scarring is just as bad aesthetically as fut scar

Yes absolutely.  FUE scarring is unquestionably better than FUT scarring and it's not even close.

I ride the subway every day and I look at people's hair all the time to see if I can spot a wig, transplant, or SMP.

I can always detect the wigs and and SMP jobs.  I can also very often detect the FUT jobs.  The linear scar is always visible with short hair, and sometimes even visible when there is length there too (if the donor is thinner).  I have never once seen FUE scarring or moth-eaten overharvested donor area that people keep warning about, and I am actually looking for them.

I have seen FUE scars in person, up close, on the shaved head of a person who was showing them to me.  I think it's best to actually judge FUE scars in person, and not in photos.  Many FUE scar photos that are being circulated are old photos where the doctors used larger punch sizes. 

I would try to find someone who had an FUE transplant done with smaller punch sizes and then judge whether it's an issue.  Two friends of mine have FUE transplants and buzz the sides and back of their heads, and I can't see a thing.  The other person who I met (that had visible FUE scars) had his procedure done 10 years ago, so I suspect they were bigger punch sizes...but I wouldn't have seen them had I not been looking for them.

Also, if you have brown or olive colored skin, that will make it stand out more.  I've heard of people using SMP to cover it up, so that's also a good option.  But based on my experience, it's very difficult to see FUE scars if you are caucasian, unless you are probably wet shaving your scalp.

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

Without question FUE scaring is better. To achieve the number of grafts I’ve had via FUE. I would’ve needed at least 3 strips. The chances of me getting a stretched scar would be very high. Stripping out is not good advice, and not something I would recommend anymore.

This is after 7k+ FUE grafts and a 1/2 guard. How a strip scar would likely look after multiple strips.

image.png
image.png

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Without question FUE scaring is better. To achieve the number of grafts I’ve had via FUE. I would’ve needed at least 3 strips. The chances of me getting a stretched scar would be very high. Stripping out is not good advice, and not something I would recommend anymore.

This is after 7k+ FUE grafts and a 1/2 guard. How a strip scar would likely look after multiple strips.

image.png
image.png

Yes I’d agree that looks good on you. Is it dependent on healing just as much as fut though? Mr Rolandas was showing fue scarring on his Instagram and I didn’t think it looked good on a fade. But maybe he had a bigger punch size 

1 hour ago, Bucky O Hair said:

Yes absolutely.  FUE scarring is unquestionably better than FUT scarring and it's not even close.

I ride the subway every day and I look at people's hair all the time to see if I can spot a wig, transplant, or SMP.

I can always detect the wigs and and SMP jobs.  I can also very often detect the FUT jobs.  The linear scar is always visible with short hair, and sometimes even visible when there is length there too (if the donor is thinner).  I have never once seen FUE scarring or moth-eaten overharvested donor area that people keep warning about, and I am actually looking for them.

I have seen FUE scars in person, up close, on the shaved head of a person who was showing them to me.  I think it's best to actually judge FUE scars in person, and not in photos.  Many FUE scar photos that are being circulated are old photos where the doctors used larger punch sizes. 

I would try to find someone who had an FUE transplant done with smaller punch sizes and then judge whether it's an issue.  Two friends of mine have FUE transplants and buzz the sides and back of their heads, and I can't see a thing.  The other person who I met (that had visible FUE scars) had his procedure done 10 years ago, so I suspect they were bigger punch sizes...but I wouldn't have seen them had I not been looking for them.

Also, if you have brown or olive colored skin, that will make it stand out more.  I've heard of people using SMP to cover it up, so that's also a good option.  But based on my experience, it's very difficult to see FUE scars if you are caucasian, unless you are probably wet shaving your scalp.

Interesting but couldn’t fue into fut scar or smp into fut scar hide it just as well? Like you could wear your hair short if you did so. I am not an advocate for multiple strips but 1 to begin with into fue into the scar I think is still a viable option but it doesn’t appear 90% of people agree

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

Interesting but couldn’t fue into fut scar or smp into fut scar hide it just as well? Like you could wear your hair short if you did so. I am not an advocate for multiple strips but 1 to begin with into fue into the scar I think is still a viable option but it doesn’t appear 90% of people agree

Sounds like you’ve made your decision. Who cares what everyone else thinks, you’re not here to convince people. You’re here for yourself.

• Like 1

View my thread

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Sounds like you’ve made your decision. Who cares what everyone else thinks, you’re not here to convince people. You’re here for yourself.

Yes probably best to go with what my gut tells me. I just don’t want to make the wrong decision and wish I did what I have been informed to do

It’s 100% case by case. If no one cares to get a scar then I believe everyone would say FUT. But since there’s that linear scar subject to widening you hear a lot saying go FUE only.

however, some people could get an FUT strip with 1-4K going from ear to ear or only a small strip. Some strips may only get as much as FUE procedure for the overall area. It’s dependent on your scalp elasticity and surface area (density of FU^2)

let’s say you have approx 100fu^2 and you extract 30fu^2 across your donor with FUE. This may bring it down to about 80^2 or 70^2 (across your scalp) really depends on the sort of density you want implanted and surface area of the bald spots.

however if you did fut first. You could extract all 100fu^2 in an 4-7 inch margin (10-18 cm) and still have 100fu in the remaining surface area(across your scalp). Let’s say you did a strip from ear to ear. You could potentially harvest anywhere between 1-4K grafts. It really depends on the individual.

however if you do you, FUT, remember you are subject to a potentially wide scar, damage to surrounding skin, and perhaps even other follicles. Also fut takes longer to heal than fue.

If you do not care about the scar and rock long hair fut might be your best option. Honestly I think FUT is superior mainly if you have no thinning in your donor, have dense hair, and little to no body hair.

in my case I should have done FUT first considering I have little body and facial hair; but I chose not to because I have curly hair which I potentially get away with using less grafts. 

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

3 hours ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

I doubt it, but I don't know.

I haven't seen an FUT scar with SMP in person before.  I see it online, but photos are deceiving (especially in the HT world) and I would only want to see what it looks in person.

To be honest with you, I am heavily biased because I am planning to keep my hair short on the sides and back and I also want the option to buzz it down to a one guard if I ever decide to opt-out of having hair (if the loss keeps progressing).  That is one of my biggest requirements, so naturally I am going to slander FUT every chance I get.  ;)

But, in my opinion, it's just a no-brainer to me to go with FUE for the sole purpose that you avoid having to deal with the linear scar, and I'm not so convinced about some of the dated arguments that FUT is better than FUE, especially when you pick a good clinic and you see all the great large-session FUE results on here.  

There are a lot of FUT vs FUE threads that I'm sure could help you in your decision.  I just hope that you are not allowing the cheaper price of FUT to influence your decision.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bucky O Hair said:

I doubt it, but I don't know.

I haven't seen an FUT scar with SMP in person before.  I see it online, but photos are deceiving (especially in the HT world) and I would only want to see what it looks in person.

To be honest with you, I am heavily biased because I am planning to keep my hair short on the sides and back and I also want the option to buzz it down to a one guard if I ever decide to opt-out of having hair (if the loss keeps progressing).  That is one of my biggest requirements, so naturally I am going to slander FUT every chance I get.  ;)

But, in my opinion, it's just a no-brainer to me to go with FUE for the sole purpose that you avoid having to deal with the linear scar, and I'm not so convinced about some of the dated arguments that FUT is better than FUE, especially when you pick a good clinic and you see all the great large-session FUE results on here.  

There are a lot of FUT vs FUE threads that I'm sure could help you in your decision.  I just hope that you are not allowing the cheaper price of FUT to influence your decision.

Very true points. Yes so fue really allows one to potentially also shave it one day while fut doesn’t. Any clinics you really like when it comes to fue and minimized fue scarring?

16 hours ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

Very interesting. So really fut does get more lifetimes grafts if done first and may prevent miniaturization of that hair in the future?

no, fut doesnt need to necesseraly done first, it cant be even counterproductive if your first procedure is only for a few grafts bc with every fut you sacrifice skin laxity and the worse thr skin laxity the less beneficial is fut. so you only want to sacrifice skin laxity for a high amount of grafts

Hi Melvin, sorry to derail the conversation. I was trying to send you a message via the website, but it wasn't letting me. Is there anyway I can send you a personal message or you send me one? It's in regards to my transplant case. Thanks! @Melvin- Moderator

14 hours ago, RTC said:

Captain Bucky o hair is a legendary cartoon of my childhood btw, great name OP

Not a cartoon.  It was reality TV. 

I used to get so much action, tapping Jenny every night.  Now that I lost most of my hare, she left me for Willy DuWitt and his NW1 hair.