Increasing dose of finasteride or switching to dutasteride

Hi guys, I'm on fin (and Regaine) 2 years and 9 months now. I think in the last few months it has lost a bit of efficacy as I've been shedding a lot.

I don't yet see worrying thinning - except for in my transplanted temples which I plan on topping up soon - but I am worried that I am at the starting point of dramatic hair loss.

I take 1.25mg fin daily.

Should I increase my dose?

Or should I start taking dutasteride?

:)

48 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

Hi guys, I'm on fin (and Regaine) 2 years and 9 months now. I think in the last few months it has lost a bit of efficacy as I've been shedding a lot.

I don't yet see worrying thinning - except for in my transplanted temples which I plan on topping up soon - but I am worried that I am at the starting point of dramatic hair loss.

I take 1.25mg fin daily.

Should I increase my dose?

Or should I start taking dutasteride?

:)

Shedding isn’t always a great indicator of further hair loss, people who don’t have genetic hair loss can go through periods of intense sheds. It is also based on studies not very likely that fin would have a drastic drop in efficacy at this point, however that is going to different for every individual. In terms of the dose for fin, fin has a diminishing rate of return going higher in dose, meaning that raising the dose doesn’t necessarily  mean you will get additional drop in dht equivalent to the increase of the dosage. In simple terms, there isn’t much difference between 1.25mg of fin compared to 5mg for scalp dht reduction. Dutasteride is the definitely the stronger step up as it blocks a third type of conversion, however, you shoikd consider it well. Something I’m currently experimenting with is 1X a week topical dutasteride on top of fin and oral minoxidil

3 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

Shedding isn’t always a great indicator of further hair loss, people who don’t have genetic hair loss can go through periods of intense sheds. It is also based on studies not very likely that fin would have a drastic drop in efficacy at this point, however that is going to different for every individual. In terms of the dose for fin, fin has a diminishing rate of return going higher in dose, meaning that raising the dose doesn’t necessarily  mean you will get additional drop in dht equivalent to the increase of the dosage. In simple terms, there isn’t much difference between 1.25mg of fin compared to 5mg for scalp dht reduction. Dutasteride is the definitely the stronger step up as it blocks a third type of conversion, however, you shoikd consider it well. Something I’m currently experimenting with is 1X a week topical dutasteride on top of fin and oral minoxidil

Why don’t you just use only the topical Dutasteride everyday instead of taking oral fin?

• Administrators

After speaking with Dr. Vaño, he said most patients would benefit from switching altogether. Dutasteride inhibits both types of DHT it’s stronger, better drug for hair loss.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

After speaking with Dr. Vaño, he said most patients would benefit from switching altogether. Dutasteride inhibits both types of DHT it’s stronger, better drug for hair loss.

I would actually say best drug for hair loss! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sunset Dune said:

Why don’t you just use only the topical Dutasteride everyday instead of taking oral fin?

I’m only just starting it, so I’m experimenting first to test how I tolerate it. If I get to the point that I can use it every day and it’s the better option, then I will switch over