Is topical dutasteride actually effective?

Heisenberg

Hi all, 

Is topical dutasteride actually effective? I understand it may have problems penetrating the skin due to its molecular weight.

I bought some from MinoxidalMax (FinoDuta), but, rather worryingly, there doesn't appear to be an expiry date on it. To that end, has anyone had good outcomes with MinoxidalMax products? The fact that MinoxidalMax uses an anonymous domain name registration is a further concern.

I've been taking oral finasteride for around a month or two, and have recently noticed (in the last week) my nipples and chest becoming very sensitive and tender, which is a serious red flag in terms of gyno. Needless to say, this is really disconcerting, and makes me want to stay clear of oral anti-androgens.

Losing one's hair is bloody depressing...

Many thanks in advance for any input.

Edited by Heisenberg

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

Hi all, 

Is topical dutasteride actually effective? I understand it may have problems penetrating the skin due to its molecular weight.

I bought some from MinoxidalMax (FinoDuta), but, rather worryingly, there doesn't appear to be an expiry date on it. To that end, has anyone had good outcomes with MinoxidalMax products? The fact that MinoxidalMax uses an anonymous domain name registration is a further concern.

I've been taking oral finasteride for around a month or two, and have recently noticed (in the last week) my nipples and chest becoming very sensitive and tender, which is a serious red flag in terms of gyno. Needless to say, this is really disconcerting, and makes me want to stay clear of oral anti-androgens.

Losing one's hair is bloody depressing...

Many thanks in advance for any input.

Topical dutasteride is effective no doubt is most people that use it. If your formula has alcohol in it it will be significantly absorbed 

• Like 2

some forum users say it works, and others quit early due to side effects. i don't think the jury is quite out on it its effectiveness as of yet. 

Edited by 12345
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BurnieBurns said:

Topical dutasteride is effective no doubt is most people that use it. If your formula has alcohol in it it will be significantly absorbed 

"Topical dutasteride is effective no doubt is most people that use it" 

what information made you make this statement?

24 minutes ago, 12345 said:

"Topical dutasteride is effective no doubt is most people that use it" 

what information made you make this statement?

There’s limited studies on it but also masses of those who have tried it got side effects including myself.

It’s known well that the skin in permeable and substances like alcohol enhance this significantly. Other vehicles like Xyon are designed to absorb well into the dermis layer but limiting it going any further 

Dutasteride absorbs less systemically than finasteride but still very much does to a degree 

Some individual's can also have more permeable skin than others due to variations in the skin barrier or skin porosity 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I’ve been on it for two months, no sides thankfully. 

So far I see some visible improvement.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

11 hours ago, 12345 said:

some forum users say it works, and others quit early due to side effects. i don't think the jury is quite out on it its effectiveness as of yet. 

If some people are experiencing side effects, one would assume that the dutasteride is able to penetrate the skin (and go systemic)?

17 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’ve been on it for two months, no sides thankfully. 

So far I see some visible improvement.

image.jpeg

Good stuff. 👍 I would say the lighting is less intense on the photo on the right, so it's hard to make a comparison in that respect. Keep us posted though.

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Good stuff. 👍 I would say the lighting is less intense on the photo on the right, so it's hard to make a comparison in that respect. Keep us posted though.

It’s the same room with the same lighting. Look at the wall fixture.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

4 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

More than that the one on the left look wet or has product in it and is flattened down, compared to a dry fluffy appearance on the right.

Is anyone else seeing that?

image.png.e8a613be8f1ebf02ae1c3d0e15d129e7.png

Edited by NikosHair

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Sunset Dune said:

There’s definitely a lighting difference between both pictures

It’s the same room with the same overhead light. I did this to make sure it was consistent. I tried to replicate the angle as best I could. 

View my thread

It's notoriously difficult to get consistency between photos but consistency is the gold standard if we are to make meaningful comparisons.

As you can see in the highlighted area the color of the wall in the left-hand picture is brighter. 

Note the left-hand picture has a light switch. It's missing from the right-hand picture. This suggests the subject is standing in a different position.

Why is that important? depending on where you are positioned in relation to the light source has a profound effect.

My suggestion for future comparisons is to use the light switch as a visual reference point.

image.png.ed454ee0610fee7e75ae26f86c381bf6.png

• Like 1

• Administrators

The pictures crop when you post them side by side in the instagram app. 
IMG_6308.jpegIMG_6307.jpeg

The angle is virtually identical. 

• Like 1

View my thread

15 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The angle is virtually identical.

Noticeably off-set from the light switch. This matters if the light source is above.

The illumination of your crown is less in the 2nd photo (as seen in the comparison of the enlarged photos below. Additionally, the quality of the images is poor, especially in the 2nd photo.

Do you color your hair? The 2nd photo of the crown has a purple hue.

image.thumb.png.0ca8b54f085af4aa05cf0d1451e651f5.png

• Face Palm 1

• Administrators

Anyone is free to discuss the results thus far, whether you think its good or bad. That’s up to you. But claiming the quality of the picture or lighting is different is nonsense (I posted the proof). The picture was taken in the same location, with the same phone, under the same light. 

How about you post a picture of yourself Niko, and show us how it’s done? I would  be very grateful. I’ll await your pictures.

• Like 1

View my thread

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Anyone is free to discuss the results thus far, whether you think its good or bad. That’s up to you. But claiming the quality of the picture or lighting is different is nonsense (I posted the proof). The picture was taken in the same location, with the same phone, under the same light. 

How about you post a picture of yourself Niko, and show us how it’s done? I would  be very grateful. I’ll await your pictures.

You have the patience of a saint at times mate!

• Administrators

@NikosHair

Please do not use other members' images without their consent. I specifically asked you to show us a picture of your hair and how to take pictures in the same lighting and angle properly. This is not an invitation to use other members' images. I've removed the post and suspended your posting privileges. When you return, you will be more than welcome if you wish to provide us with a guide on properly taking pictures using your own images. 

It's in our terms of service:Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 5.45.02 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Well Done 1

View my thread

6 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Melvin I have a couple questions to ask you, 

When you started using xyon topical Dutasteride did you notice any effect on your beard in terms of slower growth or beard thinning / getting patchy? 

I have the xyon topical Dutasteride at my house but I don’t plan on using it until June when my beard hits the 3 month mark so I’ll have a full beard just in case the Dutasteride thins it out or affects beard growth. Do you think this is nonsense thinking? should I just start using it now instead of wasting 2 months of not using it?

Also can you please show me how the topical dutasteride is applied on the scalp? Do I need to start from the hairline to the crown or just apply it on the affected thinning areas (crown)

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Sunset Dune said:

Melvin I have a couple questions to ask you, 

When you started using xyon topical Dutasteride did you notice any effect on your beard in terms of slower growth or beard thinning / getting patchy? 

I have the xyon topical Dutasteride at my house but I don’t plan on using it until June when my beard hits the 3 month mark so I’ll have a full beard just in case the Dutasteride thins it out or affects beard growth. Do you think this is nonsense thinking? should I just start using it now instead of wasting 2 months of not using it?

Also can you please show me how the topical dutasteride is applied on the scalp? Do I need to start from the hairline to the crown or just apply it on the affected thinning areas (crown)

Honestly, I don’t notice a difference, but that could be because I’m on 5mg of oral minoxidil. The oral minoxidil makes my body hair grow super fast. I haven’t noticed any changes in my body hair. I’m still a Sasquatch. 

View my thread

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Honestly, I don’t notice a difference, but that could be because I’m on 5mg of oral minoxidil. The oral minoxidil makes my body hair grow super fast. I haven’t noticed any changes in my body hair. I’m still a Sasquatch. 

Thanks for the video, how did you receive a prescription for oral minoxidil? I am also based in the United States (Texas) can a dermatologist just prescribe it to me? Did you notice any sides with the oral Minox in regards to your heart health, blood pressure etc. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Sunset Dune said:

Thanks for the video, how did you receive a prescription for oral minoxidil? I am also based in the United States (Texas) can a dermatologist just prescribe it to me? Did you notice any sides with the oral Minox in regards to your heart health, blood pressure etc. 

I got a script from Dr. Pan at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration. I’m sure Dr. Arocha could write you a prescription. You might have to pay for the initial consult. I pay $20 for a 90-day supply at CVS. 

I haven’t noticed any sides. My body hair grows fast and thick, that’s about it. I was already hairy before the oral minoxidil, so that hasn’t changed. 

View my thread