Doctors who do all the work themselves

Hi everyone, 

Could anyone provide me with a short list of Dr’s that do all the work on patients themselves? Eg slits, extraction, implantation

I’ve talked with Pekiner & Konior so far, and am in discussions but I really don’t like the fact that even with the highest packages the technicians are doing a chunk of the important stages themselves. 

Thankyou so much in advance. 

• Administrators

Modern hair transplants are a team effort. No surgeon does 100% of the work themselves. The surgeons that do most of the work are Konior, Pinto, Ahmad, off the top of my head.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I am not sure there is a quality improvement with the doctors doing the whole procedure. An experienced and trained tech who knows their job, has been properly trained, and is committed to good results might actually be preferable. My experience is that you need a lot of Dr. supervision, not necessarily hands-on work.

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

For a doctor to do the entire process him/herself would slow the whole process down. It's a team effort. What I would be concerned in would be the tech or technicians experience and time spent working with the surgeon. I would like to see it run like a well oiled machine where the tech's know their role and are experts at it along side the doctor.

• Like 1

For bigger sessions especially it can impact on the end result if a Dr does everything themselves. The longer grafts are outside the body the less chance of survival they have 

Also worth pointing out that some techs are incredibly well trained and their skill level can be as high as most Dr’s. This is why research into the clinic itself and their reputation (and not just the dr) is important.

The trouble is how would you verify during the surgery that the tech are well trained and have many years of experience??

I was told prior to my surgery that the techs have 7-10 years experience but when I asked couple of them off record they told me just 2 years experience.

15 minutes ago, DeltaV said:

The trouble is how would you verify during the surgery that the tech are well trained and have many years of experience??

I was told prior to my surgery that the techs have 7-10 years experience but when I asked couple of them off record they told me just 2 years experience.

Agree that’s tricky, judging end results are a good indicator. The more consistent results displayed by a clinics patients the better. Decent clinics will have the same staff day in day out so a strong working relationship is built up. Hair mills on the other hand have techs on hire which can spell disaster.

Good Drs won’t risk reputational damage  by letting poor techs carry out any work. That being said you still want the Dr to be heavily involved for the majority of the procedure and to carry out the important parts such as incisions. So it’s a balancing act.

Ahmad, Konior, Nadimi, and Pekiner.

You'll see that they generally charge by the session rather than graft count. Personally, if it's a surgery, I want the maximum doctor involvement. Techs are fine, so long as the role is very limited (e.g. counting grafts)

• Administrators
5 hours ago, DeltaV said:

The clinics track record, same way you verify the doctor is doing good work. Just because a doctor is doing the work themselves doesn’t guarantee success. End of the day their track record is what matters.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

There mite be some doctors who would be doing all the step themselves but tht doesn't guarantee a good outcome ....though frm my experience there are few doctors who are doing evrythn themself and producing good results are dr munib ahmad , dr pekiner and i guess even dr zarev also doing all the steps himself ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

The clinics track record, same way you verify the doctor is doing good work. Just because a doctor is doing the work themselves doesn’t guarantee success. End of the day their track record is what matters.

Going by a clinics track record is a lagging indicator which is like driving a car using rear view mirrors. Unfortunately, many of us including myself use lagging indicators to select a clinic.

Leading indicator would be a clinic scaling up and should be used.

I guess the challenge with judging a clinic is that you're unsure who produced the results. If you're going with a doctor that performs all or the majority of the work other staff changes will be less likely to have an impact on the outcome.

I guess that would lead to answering specific questions about the team performing the procedure, and ideally having the clinic confirm they were all with the clinic for at least a couple of years. That way the results which have been posted are likely to be similar to those still being achieved at the time of surgery.

There are other possible reasons for quality variations (such as rapid growth as mentioned earlier).

I wonder what else changes outcomes achieved?

Edited by BackFromTheBrink