DONOR AREA is WEAK. Possible to Improve Donor Area?

Hello, 

I am looking to explore hair transplant options. However, I doubt if I am a suitable candidate for HT as my Donor area looks weak (in comparison with many other case studies I have observed). Refer to image attached.

1.png.ab3ee144b4d368d2c2ca4fce70888dd4.png

Question: 

• Is it possible to get HT with not so great Donor area? (based on my studying, I understand it won't give good results. Correct me if I am wrong)
  • If NO, is it possible to improve the Donor area?
  • If yes, usually how long would the estimated timeframe to improve?  
Edited by meadows

If your donor is weak due to male pattern hair loss, you may strengthen it by taking finasteride.

If it is weak for another reason, you must consider other options. 

What texture is your hair? Men with very curly hair, such as Afro texture, often have low density, which makes the donor look weaker than it really is when cut very short.

Grow your hair out a bit to get a better idea.  Check with a doctor and see if you can get some hairloss meds. Also, how much loss you have is very important

Also keep in mind that people with black hair and lighter skin get judged harshly.  If I showed you Pic 1, everyone would say DUPA or "too thin".  But then look at the second picture...

image.thumb.jpeg.30bd772f6d85083c93e1edf0f45abb42.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.07a9393582b30bc9bd08366e9038650f.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators

It’s possible to improve your donor area. Are you on medication? I believe a combination of minoxidil and finasteride would improve the donor. Dutasteride would be the best. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

26 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

You need to have realistic expectations and should consider a scalp biopsy to test for miniaturisation and for things like scarring alopecia 

Thanks @Rafael Manelli. This is my second day of reading about HT. Never considered this option in the past. 

Let me try to read about miniaturisation and scalp biopsy :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MisterBreakfast said:

Grow your hair out a bit to get a better idea.  Check with a doctor and see if you can get some hairloss meds. Also, how much loss you have is very important

Also keep in mind that people with black hair and lighter skin get judged harshly.  If I showed you Pic 1, everyone would say DUPA or "too thin".  But then look at the second picture...

image.thumb.jpeg.30bd772f6d85083c93e1edf0f45abb42.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.07a9393582b30bc9bd08366e9038650f.jpeg

Oh that makes sense. I will grow and see if it makes any difference.

22 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It’s possible to improve your donor area. Are you on medication? I believe a combination of minoxidil and finasteride would improve the donor. Dutasteride would be the best. 

Any suggestions on brands to look for minoxidil and finasteride in the market? 

• Administrators
Just now, meadows said:

Any suggestions on brands to look for minoxidil and finasteride in the market? 

Oral minoxidil is sold under the name loniten. Finasteride is sold under Propecia. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Name brands are more reliable than generic. Your best bet for finasteride is Propecia and Proscar. Propecia is a pill you take once a day. Proscar is a bigger pill you cut into quarters or fifths and take one piece daily. It’s cheaper but a little more work to use simply because you have to cut it up.

I would recommend oral minoxidil rather than topical. It’s a lot less hassle to use and it’s more effective. But I don’t know brands.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:17 PM, mr_peanutbutter said:

i saw dr pittella doing wonders on people with a similar donor like you

Any pics with similar cases.. where Dr Pittela has performed? 

appreciate if you can help with that. 

If you have concerns about the strength or density of your donor area, it is important to consult with a qualified hair transplant surgeon. They will be able to assess your individual case and determine if you are a suitable candidate for the procedure.

@meadows,

There’s not a whole lot you can do to improve your donor area however, just as finasteride and minoxidil might work in reversing the effects of male pattern baldness, they may also help in reversing the miniaturization in the donor area. However, without knowing more, I don’t know if you just naturally possess a thinner donor area or if you are experiencing ongoing miniaturization.

Miniaturization in the donor area implies you may possess diffuse unpatterned alopecia which in itself means that the donor area may continue to thin and you may not be a good candidate for hair transplant surgery. If you were able to thicken that up through medication, there is a possibility that you would become a candidate but there are several additional risks and the likelihood that you may lose some of this hair is high.

On the other hand, if you have a naturally thin donor area, you can’t create hair follicles that were never there. In that case, there’s really no way to thicken the donor area.

Have you ever been to a dermatologist or trichologist for hair loss to check if you possess any other types of non-genetically related hair loss? If not, it might be worth considering.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 4/13/2023 at 11:39 AM, Rafael Manelli said:

Name brands are more reliable than generic. Your best bet for finasteride is Propecia and Proscar. Propecia is a pill you take once a day. Proscar is a bigger pill you cut into quarters or fifths and take one piece daily. It’s cheaper but a little more work to use simply because you have to cut it up.

I would recommend oral minoxidil rather than topical. It’s a lot less hassle to use and it’s more effective. But I don’t know brands.

Is Proscar any less effective since you cut it up I assume it loses its value? Also if you cut it 4 ways and take one a day then parts of that cut up pill are just sitting waiting to be used. So I wonder if that impacts effectiveness since it isn’t a whole pill waiting to be taken

9 minutes ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

Is Proscar any less effective since you cut it up I assume it loses its value? Also if you cut it 4 ways and take one a day then parts of that cut up pill are just sitting waiting to be used. So I wonder if that impacts effectiveness since it isn’t a whole pill waiting to be taken

You cut it up because it's bigger 

It's okay and people have been doing it for decades  

• Like 2