Can Toppik cause, or contribute to inflammation?

This is possibly the 100th topic about Toppik (pun intended), but I wanted to bring up a new question which I haven't seen asked her on the forum:

• Can Toppik cause, or contribute to inflammation?

I was advised by a top doc. not to use Toppik again. He stated that there's a possibility that it could be a cause of inflammation to the pores. 
I have looked up all Toppik ingredients in several 'Ingredients checks' or however you may call them. They all came out okay, not harmful to the skin.

Something I do know is that Toppik cannot easily be a washed out completely. For the naked eye it does wash out. However under a endoscope/microscope it's still visible after weeks, even months of washing and rinsing.

Curious how you guys think of this..

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Don't know about that..am using since many years and never had any scalp issues till now...but evryone has different skin type and adaptability ..so there mite be a small percentage of people who may face allergic issue ..but i dont think so that the build up would be there after so many washes ...did you check under microscope after few washes? 

Edited by Archan
  • Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

48 minutes ago, Archan said:

Don't know about that..am using since many years and never had any scalp issues till now...but evryone has different skin type and adaptability ..so there mite be a small percentage of people who may face allergic issue ..but i dont think so that the build up would be there after so many washes ...did you check under microscope after few washes? 

I am a big fan of Toppik, and I don't mind using it for the rest of my life. I do rinse/wash it out in the evening.

The doc said he had a patient that had not used Toppik for more than half a year, still he had seen some left on the scalp (with microscopic vision). I was surprised too.

• Valued Contributor
16 minutes ago, Cory said:

I am a big fan of Toppik, and I don't mind using it for the rest of my life. I do rinse/wash it out in the evening.

The doc said he had a patient that had not used Toppik for more than half a year, still he had seen some left on the scalp (with microscopic vision). I was surprised too.

Oh never heard these before ...some doctors here can give some information regarding this...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Administrators

I’ve used hair fibers for the past 7 years, I have never experienced scalp inflammation. It is possible if you don’t wash them out for a prolonged period of time. But as long as you wash them out regularly, there’s no issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’ve used hair fibers for the past 7 years, I have never experienced scalp inflammation. It is possible if you don’t wash them out for a prolonged period of time. But as long as you wash them out regularly, there’s no issue.

I am not using fibers, but am curious. How often is regularly? daily? or could it be every second day? Or after a few hours?

10 hours ago, Xanadu said:

I am not using fibers, but am curious. How often is regularly? daily? or could it be every second day? Or after a few hours?

I have read that whenever you apply, you should wash it off before going to bed. Because it will come out and end up on pillowcase and touchups will be needed next morning and for some as it makes their skin itchy so they prefer to remove it and apply again next day. But some people say they keep it on their head from shower to shower and use silk pillowcases. Guess those people don't get any irritation on their skin from hair fibers so a little extra investment into pillowcases is all the inconvenience they face.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cory said:

This is possibly the 100th topic about Toppik (pun intended), but I wanted to bring up a new question which I haven't seen asked her on the forum:

• Can Toppik cause, or contribute to inflammation?

I was advised by a top doc. not to use Toppik again. He stated that there's a possibility that it could be a cause of inflammation to the pores. 
I have looked up all Toppik ingredients in several 'Ingredients checks' or however you may call them. They all came out okay, not harmful to the skin.

Something I do know is that Toppik cannot easily be a washed out completely. For the naked eye it does wash out. However under a endoscope/microscope it's still visible after weeks, even months of washing and rinsing.

Curious how you guys think of this..

it depends on individuals i guess. Skin of some people is sensitive to the artificial hair fibers. Even if hair fibers are applied to your existing hair strands still some reach your scalp and can cause itchiness. And an irritated scalp can cause more hair loss. And yes washing it out completely is tough as to naked eyes it may look clean but may not be so. Then any build up on the pores can create problems for the healthy hairs and also any medication applied on scalp may not work properly.

10 hours ago, Mike10 said:

is not the point of a HT to not use fibers and topic anymore?

Yes, That is the point but highly likely the individual has problem spots or thin areas after a hair transplant so they need to find a solution, sometimes temporary before another transplant, which would be hair concealers. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use toppik occasionally,  but I do wash my hair twice daily and have not experienced any excessive itching. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

On 6/11/2023 at 5:25 PM, Heisenberg said:

I think it has a dye in it, which is known to cause a green stain. For that reason alone, I am avoiding it.

Go on... Green stain, as in stain your scalp green?

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

• 2 months later...