Starting to question if I’m doing the right thing…

Honestly I prefer the hairline drawn in the first post, more conservative and will age better. You hair looks decent for 40 though.Only you can decide. You do seem to be a fitting candidate. Although there might be risk of shockloss for the frontal third.

When I approached 40, I had the same thoughts. So I would give it 1 or 2 year to reflect on whether this is really what you want or kind of a midlife phase you are going through. As somebody here said this is lifelong.

I fully understand mate. I’m a musician myself and I longed for the days when I had my “Slash” perm and could windmill my hair while we played stuff like Maiden and Metallica. Time catches up to us all, but getting a transplant will be the best decision you’ve made. My hair is now 90s boyband length 😃, but it’s still great to get that confidence boost of having more hair than you used to. Just go for it, you won’t regret it. 

You’ve done research and chosen a great surgeon, no reason to feel “guilty” - it’ll look way better after surgery so why not go for it! Only consideration is long term med use and probably needing another surgery in the future, if it bothers you and you’re ok with these 2 things then sure you’ll feel much better with your new look - I do for sure 🙂.

After seeing your temples in the above picture they look ok to me but discuss in your planning with your in person consultation.

3 hours ago, Otis james said:

This is currently are my temple area…..

IMG_8492.jpeg

Your temples are fine, if I know Pinto then I'd bet he will say that you don't need temple work.

First of all, you should tell Dr. Pinto how you want to wear your hair post-surgery. He will tell you if it will work or not.

I am 10 months post-op with Dr. Pinto, my hair was MUCH thinner than yours. Also a musician, always wanted long hair, could never do it because I was headed for NW6. My hair calibre is thin, Dr. Pinto made a point to tell me that I probably wouldn't be able to wear my hair slicked up and messy, he advised me that if I wore it up in the front it would need to be with the hair styled together in the same direction. He was bang on with his prediction.

That being said, I've not cut my hair since surgery. It's getting quite long, way longer than I've been able to do in 20+ years. I wear it framed around my face with a slightly off center part, and it looks almost so good that I can't believe it. Even in bright sunlight. You do see gaps if I pull it straight back, but if I'm strategic enough with it, then I can make it work.

I bet you'll be very happy with surgery. Your hair is really not that bad, with Dr. Pinto throwing some magic your way I'd guess you'll meet your goals.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Otis james said:

that looks pretty aggressive to me, no? Quite like it though! Would need more that 1800 grafts too, wouldn’t it? 

The temples are way too aggressive, but the hairline I think is good. You do want to bring the temples in a little bit.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...

Hi all. 
just a quick one. I was booked in with Dr Pinto for Later this year. I’ve since had my hair cut shorter and realised that, for now, I can hide any issues I have. I’m disappointed to have cancelled but numerous people on here have suggested leaving surgery as long as possible, so that’s the option I’ve taken. I’m currently on holiday and yeah, I get a bit self conscious when hair is wet, but I think I’ve done the right thing, for now…. 

• Well Done 1

• Valued Contributor

Mate outside of a hair loss forum no one is interested or bothered by your appearance. The average Joe is only worried about their own problems or focused on their own joys. At almost 40 your hair looks not only great but ‘natural.’ The fact that you are on medication for your hair means that you will stabilize it. If down the track you feel that ‘YOU’ can’t live without getting a hair transplant then by all means go ahead. Either way, enjoy life regardless as tomorrow is never a given. All the best! 👍

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So, after cancelling, I’ve booked back in with Pinto and got a cancellation for January! 
mad said above, my hairloss is mild, but it saddens me when I see myself! I’ve been told by a UK doctor that I’m unlikely to need a second transplant. I think I will, at some point, and I’m happy to do so. I will continue to commit to Finasteride. 
my only worry is he turns me away, on the day! Here’s hoping he won’t! 

This was suggested by another doctor, in a recent consultation… 

IMG_0050.jpeg

IMG_8982.jpeg

IMG_8789.jpeg

IMG_8982.jpeg

Edited by Otis james
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Otis james said:

So, after cancelling, I’ve booked back in with Pinto and got a cancellation for January! 
mad said above, my hairloss is mild, but it saddens me when I see myself! I’ve been told by a UK doctor that I’m unlikely to need a second transplant. I think I will, at some point, and I’m happy to do so. I will continue to commit to Finasteride. 
my only worry is he turns me away, on the day! Here’s hoping he won’t! 

This was suggested by another doctor, in a recent consultation… 

IMG_0050.jpeg

IMG_8982.jpeg

IMG_8789.jpeg

IMG_8982.jpeg

Good on you mate, life is short you seem to have a decent donor as well and 2k odd grafts in the grand scheme of things is not going to kill your donor area should you require more later on life (which I doubt it as you said you're in your late 30s and on meds so your hair loss would have somewhat stabilised and halted)

Edited by Ccd99
  • Consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Nov 2023 - - link to thread documenting my pre-hair restoration journey
  • First surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Sept 2024 -  - approx. 3500 grafts to frontal third - thread to be created
  • Second surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - TBD - - approx. 2500 grafts to mid-scalp and vertex - thread to be created