Which surgeons would you recommend for an afro-hair transplant?

I am a 20 year old female with hair loss on my edges and temples due to traction alopecia.

I have thick, course, high density very coily afro hair. I know that my hair type requires high specialization.

After some research I have seen recommendations for Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Mwamba,  Dr. Ron Shapiro, Dr. Diep and Dr. Konior. 

The first two surgeons are highly recommended but also pricey. Ron Shapiro was also recommended for Afro hair, but I have not seen any Afro transplant results on his website. Reviews for Dr. Diep and Dr. Konior have been mixed. 

If you have any more recommendations please let me know. I am open to travelling to Europe (but not Turkey), but would prefer to stay in North America. 

You already have 2 names that have been synonymous with Afro hair for years, Dr Mwamba and Dr Bisanga, personally I also see @DrTBarghouthias someone else that has also achieved some good results. Dr Lapunzula is worth checking, but like others you will find the occasional miss. Dr Feriduni is another that’s capable with Afro hair. 

Edited by BRITA-XL
  • Like 1

I’m surprised you’d say Bisanga and Mwamba are pricey, while including Diep and Konior on your list. Those two are expensive as hell, and in my opinion, only one of them worth considering (Konior, NOT Diep. Go down the Diep rabbit hole on this forum in recent months if you want some entertainment.) I’ve never seen a bad review of Konior. Can you link one? The worst I’ve heard of him is that he’s good but overpriced with a long wait list.

Bisanga and Mwamba are both black, so some people assume they’ll be especially good with Afro hair. That doesn’t necessarily follow, but as it happens, I would in fact recommend them, as far as FUE goes. Afro hair is the trickiest for FUE because the curl continues under the skin, so you don’t always know what direction to cut in with the punch. But they are both especially good, as is Dr Lupanzula, who is in the same area.

Shapiro is also a master.

If you want to stay in North America why not try Feller & Bloxham? FUT is your best bet for high yield and low transection, especially with Afro hair and especially if you want to wear your hair longer than an inch, which most women do. 

Dr Huebner seems popular with Afro patients, and females, if his YouTube channel is any indication. But I would not recommend him. I would not recommend either of the Huebners at all, that’s for sure…

There’s also Hasson and Wong, Dr Yaker, Nusbaum, Dorin, Keene, Cooley.

Edited by Rafael Manelli
  • Thanks 2

Do not consider Diep. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the main person who promoted Diep as being a good surgeon for Afro hair was MillenialHT, who had two surgeries with him, but he ended up retracting his support and mentioned lack of satisfaction with density in some areas. Seems his YouTube videos were also removed.

Edited by AlexMeister21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BRITA-XL said:

You already have 2 names that have been synonymous with Afro hair for years, Dr Mwamba and Dr Bisanga, personally I also see @DrTBarghouthias someone else that has also achieved some good results. Dr Lapunzula is worth checking, but like others you will find the occasional miss. Dr Feriduni is another that’s capable with Afro hair. 

Thank you, I’ll look into Dr. Lapunzula. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

I’m surprised you’d say Bisanga and Mwamba are pricey, while including Diep and Konior on your list. Those two are expensive as hell, and in my opinion, only one of them worth considering (Konior, NOT Diep. Go down the Diep rabbit hole on this forum in recent months if you want some entertainment.) I’ve never seen a bad review of Konior. Can you link one? The worst I’ve heard of him is that he’s good but overpriced with a long wait list.

Bisanga and Mwamba are both black, so some people assume they’ll be especially good with Afro hair. That doesn’t necessarily follow, but as it happens, I would in fact recommend them, as far as FUE goes. Afro hair is the trickiest for FUE because the curl continues under the skin, so you don’t always know what direction to cut in with the punch. But they are both especially good, as is Dr Lupanzula, who is in the same area.

Shapiro is also a master.

If you want to stay in North America why not try Feller & Bloxham? FUT is your best bet for high yield and low transection, especially with Afro hair and especially if you want to wear your hair longer than an inch, which most women do. 

Dr Huebner seems popular with Afro patients, and females, if his YouTube channel is any indication. But I would not recommend him. I would not recommend either of the Huebners at all, that’s for sure…

There’s also Hasson and Wong, Dr Yaker, Nusbaum, Dorin, Keene, Cooley.

Yes, I’ve heard some bad stories from Diep. I remember reading a very negative review of Dr Konior, but I unfortunately don’t remember where. 

I considered FUT, but have resorted to FUE as I don’t want a long scar in my head. FUE scarring is more discrete. 

• Valued Contributor
Just now, Ola said:

Yes, I’ve heard some bad stories from Diep. I remember reading a very negative review of Dr Konior, but I unfortunately don’t remember where. 

I considered FUT, but have resorted to FUE as I don’t want a long scar in my head. FUE scarring is more discrete. 

Konior is excellent...actually its a surgery and it can go wrong ....you will always find one odd bad result from even elites like Konior or mawamba or bisanga ....but still they all are the safest bet ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

1 minute ago, Archan said:

Yeh dr lapunzula should also be considered and dr shapiro ...

Whats your budget?

My budget is 10,000 USD, but I am willing to go a bit above this if I’m confident that the results will be good. 

• Valued Contributor
1 minute ago, Ola said:

My budget is 10,000 USD, but I am willing to go a bit above this if I’m confident that the results will be good. 

And did you consult any doctor yet? Any of them gave you an estimate of the required grafts ?

--> My Thread

• Valued Contributor
1 minute ago, JNA said:

Have you looked into Dr. Harold Siegel with Natural Transplants?  He specializes in African American female traction hairloss...

You just joined 4 minutes ago and how come you directly suggest some doctor ? Fishy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

--> My Thread

3 minutes ago, JNA said:

Have you looked into Dr. Harold Siegel with Natural Transplants?  He specializes in African American female traction hairloss...

Will look into him, thanks 

2 minutes ago, Archan said:

And did you consult any doctor yet? Any of them gave you an estimate of the required grafts ?

I have talked to several surgeons and hair clinics, they all seemed to estimate anywhere from 1000 to 1400 grafts. 

Not fishy, just new...I was reading this thread and wanted to respond and saw that I needed to sign up. Ola, be sure to get a biopsy first to properly diagnose the traction alopecia so that you can be sure you would be a candidate. 

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor
Just now, Ola said:

I have talked to several surgeons and hair clinics, they all seemed to estimate anywhere from 1000 to 1400 grafts. 

Than you can easily get it done in your budget cause you require very less number of grafts...most the the good doctors are charging around 5euro per grafts (dont know if there is a high price for afro hair specially as it needs more time and caution) 

• Thanks 1

--> My Thread

17 minutes ago, Ola said:

Who have you consulted with so far? Is it all/some or the names you were considering in you’re first post. Can you show any pics of you’re current situation? 

22 minutes ago, JNA said:

I would NOT recommend “Natural Transplants”

Stay far away. Stay well away from this guy and the Huebners, who are his colleagues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, JNA said:

Are you talking about the place in Florida that does hair plugs? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, JNA said:

They are located in Fort Lauderdale, Florda and do the FUT method.

They do mini graft surgery with huge chunky grafts of 12+ hairs. Follicular units have been the gold standard for 20 years, but they perform a technique from the 90s. I would not recommend going to them at ALL.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 minute ago, JNA said:

They are located in Fort Lauderdale, Florda and do the FUT method.

They do the strip method but they don’t do FUT. They don’t do follicular unit transplantation. They harvest with a multi bladed scalpel, which kills a lot of hair, they barely use microscopes and they dont bother dissecting the strip into all proper follicular units, instead leaving many of them as “minigrafts” (an outdated name. Think of them more as megagrafts.”. 

And they tell you these grafts are HUE grafts. They say they use the HUE technique.  HUE. High yield unit extraction. That’s what they call it. The fact it sounds like the first syllable of Huebner is pure coincidence…