Propecia losing effectiveness?

ninjathen

I have read in some posts that propecia can lose it's effectiveness over time..

I started taking it in 2000 and stayed on it for about 2 years..I then switched over to Avacor-which sucked,but to tell you the truth they refunded me the entire 520 bucks I shelled out for a years supply..

Shortly there after I went back to propecia and have basically stayed on it since..

Now this is a decent time frame and I have lost hair in that time frame..Now did it lose it's effectiveness? Or would I have been further down the hair loss chain without it?

8 to 9 years is a pretty decent time frame and like I said I have lost more hair in that time period..I recently ordered Proscar and I think for a 5 month Supply--you have to cut the pill

up in sections,it worked out to about 75 bucks,a lt cheaper than propecia..

I feel it is so hard to tell if these medications completely stop hair loss..I am a 45 year old male and I am thinking of doing one more HT in the front and be done with it..

If anyone could let me know if they have any data showing that after a while finasteide is proven to lose its effectiveness please let me know...Thank you...

Ninjathen,

I'm reminded of what Dr. Beehner said about this topic some time ago. I've quoted it below.

How Many Years is Propecia Effective for Hair Loss

You are still much better off staying on Propecia (finasteride). The great majority of men taking finasteride realize an increase in 'hair mass' during the first 4-5 years; then there is a very gradual loss of hair, but not nearly at the steep curve and rate as if you weren't taking this hair loss treatment.

At one conference I attended a couple of years ago, the speaker said that after 5 years, 30% of men look better than when they started, 50% look about the same and hold their own, and 20% look thinner. My gut feeling is that the last group would still look far worse had they not been taking Propecia. My own personal experience is that 80% of the men I give it to have a positive result and look better when seen back in 2-3 years. When pinned down on exactly how long a given man will have to take finasteride, my reply is 'until the next wonderful thing comes along!.'.

MPB continues to advance, though at a retarded rate on finasteride. It is not that the pharmological action of the drug diminishes, it is that the genetic pre-determination of the hair follicles must take its course.

take care...

I can't show you data, but I can tell you personally that Propecia stopped working for meeventually. I started in March 2003 and it worked great until about January of 2008 when it pretty much stopped working. I realize that it was probably still having somewhat of an effect, but I had to face reality and for me that meant it wasn't worth the $$$ or the hassle anymore. I've since thinned substantially, however I'm quite sure this was going to happen anyway.

800+- Bosley NY, June 2005

1300+- Dr. Feller, December 2008

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1021

We should be on here to help and look out for each other, not to make someone feel worse about their situation.

Its been a while since I have visited this site but came back and found this post which is why I came back.

Have been on propecia for almost 6 years. My gf make the comment that my hair looked thinner about 6 months ago but I did not believe her. Well now I can see into my hairline and see the larger grafts I had done in the early 90's. It really sucks to see these giant 3 and 4 hair sized "plugs"!!! Dr. Shapiros clinic had given me some Dermatch which I have now starting using and it really does work. I dont like the idea of having to put on everyday but the "pluggy" look of my old school grafts arent very comforting.

I wonder if the propecia has lost its effectiveness on me? I would get another HT but after 5 at a hair mill and a 6th at Shapiro I have no donor hair left.

Experience:

6 HT to date.......wish this forum was around in the 90's!