Gro Australia reviews

I'm looking at getting a Hair transplant, and Gro Australia seems to be the closest "reputable" option for me (as I'm based in New Zealand).

They have quoted me $21,900 (NZD) for up to 8000 hairs. I am currently a NW3 based on their assessment. 

Gro have recently offered a ~30% discount if I was to use some "new" hair doctors in their clinic, at the direction of their experienced surgeons.

I'm pretty tempted to take them up on the offer honestly... but beyond Trustpilot, there is very few forums that seem to talk about Gro. Additionally, I have seen a number of people here also bagging Australian transplants and doctors a few years ago... so I'd like to get an update view on what I should do here? 

For the love of all that is good do not go with them nor anyone in NZ or Australia. I'm based in NZ too and learned the hard way. 98% of this industry has little to no integrity behind their work and you cannot ever compromise on a HT. For the the best surgeon for your case and never let location or money be a barrier

Edited by BurnieBurns
  • Like 5

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, AgainstAllOdds said:

I'm looking at getting a Hair transplant, and Gro Australia seems to be the closest "reputable" option for me (as I'm based in New Zealand).

They have quoted me $21,900 (NZD) for up to 8000 hairs. I am currently a NW3 based on their assessment. 

Gro have recently offered a ~30% discount if I was to use some "new" hair doctors in their clinic, at the direction of their experienced surgeons.

I'm pretty tempted to take them up on the offer honestly... but beyond Trustpilot, there is very few forums that seem to talk about Gro. Additionally, I have seen a number of people here also bagging Australian transplants and doctors a few years ago... so I'd like to get an update view on what I should do here? 

I dint think you could get any good doctor thr in Australia or new zealand ...dont let the location be a barrier cause ths is lifetime thing and can't be undone if it goes wrong...and you can at least travel to thailand whr thr are 2 good doctors...dr path and dr kongkiat laorwong ...and u can even travel to india whr u get eugenix as an option ...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

4 hours ago, BurnieBurns said:

For the love of all that is good do not go with them nor anyone in NZ or Australia. I'm based in NZ too and learned the hard way. 98% of this industry has little to no integrity behind their work and you cannot ever compromise on a HT. For the the best surgeon for your case and never let location or money be a barrier

Appreciate the reply... Have you hear specifically anything about Gro, as to why you'd not suggest them? Who did you use in AU/NZ?

I've heard lots of good things about them (they also have a massive Insta presence with lots of their customers posting their stories), but almost zero bad - aside from maybe 3 trustpilot reviews.

I'm not strictly bound by location, particularly if another country offers it cheaper, since I use the saved cost on flights. But I'm also looking for specifics on why Gro would be a bad call.

• Valued Contributor

Can I ask @AgainstAllOdds how old you are? Over the past 38 years (and as an Australian who was butchered by an Aussie surgeon) I have not been able to find one great result here. I’ve had consultations with nearly every so called ‘elite’ surgeon here. The fact this mill is offering a 30% reduction to allow your scalp to be a training ground is a huge red flag. Go to Thailand or India from recommend patient’s results on this forum. You won’t find anyone here. All the best. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Can I ask @AgainstAllOdds how old you are? Over the past 38 years (and as an Australian who was butchered by an Aussie surgeon) I have not been able to find one great result here. I’ve had consultations with nearly every so called ‘elite’ surgeon here. The fact this mill is offering a 30% reduction to allow your scalp to be a training ground is a huge red flag. Go to Thailand or India from recommend patient’s results on this forum. You won’t find anyone here. All the best. 

I am 30 years old - though not sure why that is relevant to the question at hand.
From my understanding, 30% discount for the training of new doctors aside, their standard procedure is done by doctors (not technicians), its a day procedure (2 if you're going for a big session), they also have a "natural results guarantee"  etc... seemingly indicating its not a mill? Or have I missed something? I will admit being a little green on the whole industry.

Additionally, they seem to have a lot of positive reviews. I was ideally trying to tease out specifics on Gro

This was part of the quote; 

• Theatre Fees
  • Surgeon Consultation Fee (on day of procedure)
  • Surgeon Operating Fee: Extraction and Implantation
  • Gro Instruments
  • Nurse/Medical team on the day of the procedure
  • Aesthetic Fee
  • HypothermosolTM – this ensures maximum survival rate of extracted hair follicles during the procedure
  • Complementary WIFI & Netflix access during your procedure
  • Complementary Lunch and refreshments provided to you on the day of your procedure

Either I'm a complete novice or there is no way to edit posts here... clicked post too early. 

To finish my sentence there: I was ideally trying to tease out specifics on Gro in AU and NZ, I figured here would be a good place as any to find any potential negatives, since the Instagram pages only tell half the story, so wanted to get some balance.

• Valued Contributor

How many genuine results have you seen from this clinic? What is the name of the surgeon performing the surgery? How long has the surgeon been performing hair transplants? Do they perform other cosmetic procedures other than hair transplants?  How long have the technicians been working with the surgeon? How much of the surgery is actually carried out by the surgeon? How many months ahead are they booked out? What is their policy if after 12 months you are not happy with the results? I could go on and on with all the questions you need to ask during a consultation when starting to do your due diligence. I always recommend to spend at least a year doing your research before pulling the pin after narrowing down who is the best surgeon for your case. Are you on Finasteride or minoxidil to stabilise your hair loss? Did this clinic speak to you about medication? Choosing a life changing and permanent surgery is something that you will have to look at in the mirror every morning for the rest of your life. ‘Natural results guaranteed’ is total bs. All an ethical surgeon can promise is that they will do their absolute best. All those positive reviews will be from the clinic itself. It’s never a good idea to choose surgery by geography and price. This nearly always ends up in spending so much more in further surgey ‘if’ you can can be repaired. You have no idea how many people get butchered in this industry but you can avoid these risks by doing your research which you are by posting here. Wishing you all the best but seriously avoid any surgery in Australia and New Zealand. 👍

• Like 3

• Administrators

You’re better off traveling to Thailand or India. Use our list of recommendations as a starting point for research.

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’m from Australia too. I’ve spoken to one person locally who had a hair transplant at Gro. I never actually saw him in person (a mutual friend put us in touch over the phone when I was wanting to speak to people who had had hair transplants done in Melbourne prior to my learning of this forum). He seemed happy with his results although this mutual friend did say she thought his hairline was quite thin. So I can’t attest to whether his result was good or how fussy he is because I never met him in person. Let me tell you. I was just about ready to pull the trigger locally with a well credentialed surgeon when an old post about said surgeon that I pulled up from @Gatsby stopped me in my tracks. This surgeon who seemed impressive had no results I could pull up online even after his 30+ years performing these procedures. Yes he had was published and had a track record but no results anywhere. Listen to the advice here. Discounts are a huge red flag.

• Like 3

On 3/6/2023 at 10:50 PM, AgainstAllOdds said:

Appreciate the reply... Have you hear specifically anything about Gro, as to why you'd not suggest them? Who did you use in AU/NZ?

I've heard lots of good things about them (they also have a massive Insta presence with lots of their customers posting their stories), but almost zero bad - aside from maybe 3 trustpilot reviews.

I'm not strictly bound by location, particularly if another country offers it cheaper, since I use the saved cost on flights. But I'm also looking for specifics on why Gro would be a bad call.

I haven't dealt with Gro but most about them screams cash cow har clinic. Most of these places (Especially ones started by Corporate types/investors, not Surgeons themselves) are interested profit above all else. Instagram results should be taken very lightly, the image quality is terrible and they can get any old sap to leave a positive review by offering a discount, and written positive reviews is the easiest thing to fake nowadays. Many men who feel like they had a great result from these places aren't even aware how bad it is! They're just elated to have any hair again. 

On their website they have NO quality pictures let alone a proper exposed hairline. If the pictures are hiding that, it's probably bad otherwise why wouldn't they show it off. 

I get the appeal you have to just take this deal, but as someone who's been through the trenches along with others here, you are doing yourself a tremendous disservice by not consulting with multiple world renowned clinics before making your decision. I went to Canada for by repair surgery and I couldn't be more relieved. the travel is a breeze if you get all your ducks in a row.

Edited by BurnieBurns
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 11:22 PM, AgainstAllOdds said:

I am 30 years old - though not sure why that is relevant to the question at hand.
From my understanding, 30% discount for the training of new doctors aside, their standard procedure is done by doctors (not technicians), its a day procedure (2 if you're going for a big session), they also have a "natural results guarantee"  etc... seemingly indicating its not a mill? Or have I missed something? I will admit being a little green on the whole industry.

Additionally, they seem to have a lot of positive reviews. I was ideally trying to tease out specifics on Gro

This was part of the quote; 

• Theatre Fees
  • Surgeon Consultation Fee (on day of procedure)
  • Surgeon Operating Fee: Extraction and Implantation
  • Gro Instruments
  • Nurse/Medical team on the day of the procedure
  • Aesthetic Fee
  • HypothermosolTM – this ensures maximum survival rate of extracted hair follicles during the procedure
  • Complementary WIFI & Netflix access during your procedure
  • Complementary Lunch and refreshments provided to you on the day of your procedure

There are so many red flags in this post..  Paying by 'Hairs' is a huge one.

One follicle can have 1-5+ hairs in the same extraction.

the surgery being done by Doctors instead of technicians is nothing to brag about. There are doctors who can butcher you and there are technicians who are masters. As @Gatsby said, natural results guarantee is BS. Marketing hype and nothing more. Who decides what's natural? They would never claim that without a fine print that works in their favour. 

The way they've broken this down to make you seem like you're getting a lot is ridiculous. Theatre fees and Medical team should be a given. Surgery is Surgery. And complimentary Netflix and Wifi? This isn't a hotel booking.. In my years of research anywhere that hypes up luxuries or 'perks' on the day is only doing so compensate for an average (if you're lucky) result.

I don't intend to sound disrespectful. Your decision is up to you but I'm inclined to say all I can.. 30 is relatively young in the journey of hair loss, even with medication there are no guarantees you won't bald further and the only solution is a shrinking, finite resource. 

Edited by BurnieBurns
  • Like 2

One doctor that has put out consistently great results from Aus is Dr. Ruk up on the Gold Coast, he seems ethical and seems to care for his patients. if you want to stay close to home then he will 100% be your best bet.

With that being said though it will cost a lot, in the neighbourhood of $16-22k

• Face Palm 3

4 minutes ago, Kixinit said:

One doctor that has put out consistently great results from Aus is Dr. Ruk up on the Gold Coast, he seems ethical and seems to care for his patients. if you want to stay close to home then he will 100% be your best bet.

Where are you seeing these great results? Not just on his own website hopefully, seems to care and seems to be ethical isn’t installing too much faith. Have you seen actual patient posted journals?

• Like 1
  • Face Palm 1

14 hours ago, Fueway said:

Where are you seeing these great results? Not just on his own website hopefully, seems to care and seems to be ethical isn’t installing too much faith. Have you seen actual patient posted journals?

Yes on independent websites of course. I am not here to instill faith just giving OP another option if he wants to stick close to home that's all, calm down.

Up to him like anyone to do their own research and do the ground work with consultations and the like and find the most suitable option for him.

• Face Palm 1

Hi @AgainstAllOdds

I’m an Australian from Melbourne. I spent about 5 years researching hair transplants before I got mine done by Dr Laorwong in Bangkok. When I first started thinking about getting a hair transplant my preference was to have it done in Australia. I tried to find reasons to justify using a local doctor but the more I researched, I just couldn’t risk using a local surgeon. For me, the lack of results posted on independent forums/websites from patients was concerning. There may be great surgeons here, I just couldn’t find any evidence of who they are.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find the right surgeon for you. 

• Well Done 1

• Valued Contributor
14 hours ago, Kixinit said:

It’s your scalp @Kixinit. Personally I have never seen what I would call anything close to excellent results here in Melbourne or in any other city in Australia for that matter. I’ve been trying to for 38 years. If you want excellent results have a look at the surgeons recommended here on patients with a similar hair loss and with goals that are inline with yours. How many thousand patients has this surgeon performed on? 

• Face Palm 1

3 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

It’s your scalp @Kixinit. Personally I have never seen what I would call anything close to excellent results here in Melbourne or in any other city in Australia for that matter. I’ve been trying to for 38 years. If you want excellent results have a look at the surgeons recommended here on patients with a similar hair loss and with goals that are inline with yours. How many thousand patients has this surgeon performed on? 

It is not my scalp at all? I haven't had a HT yet still a year or two off.

I am merely giving the original poster @AgainstAllOdds another option if extensive international travel is not suitable for him, that is all. Up to him as it is "his" scalp not mine?

As for how many thousands of patients I wouldn't have a clue you'd have to ask him yourself.

• Valued Contributor
3 minutes ago, Kixinit said:

It is not my scalp at all? I haven't had a HT yet still a year or two off.

I am merely giving the original poster @AgainstAllOdds another option if extensive international travel is not suitable for him, that is all. Up to him as it is "his" scalp not mine?

As for how many thousands of patients I wouldn't have a clue you'd have to ask him yourself.

Then why would you praise this Australian surgeon? How do you know he puts out consistently great results and is 100% the best bet? If this were true we would all know about him. 

• Like 2
  • Face Palm 1

1 hour ago, Kixinit said:

Yes on independent websites of course. I am not here to instill faith just giving OP another option if he wants to stick close to home that's all, calm down.

Up to him like anyone to do their own research and do the ground work with consultations and the like and find the most suitable option for him.

I’m very calm thanks, I was simply asking where you saw these results, you haven’t said yet. Which independent websites? I’m curious to see these results. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Then why would you praise this Australian surgeon? How do you know he puts out consistently great results and is 100% the best bet? If this were true we would all know about him. 

I have no idea how you could misconstrue what I've said as "praise" I am not affiliated with him I was just merely giving the OP an option closer to home as it is his scalp not mine, he was the one asking, not me. If he chooses to go international with the breadth of options available best of luck to him. HRN isn't the be all and end all of forums for hair loss.

Just giving @AgainstAllOdds another option, my goodness.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 2:55 PM, AgainstAllOdds said:

Hey mate,

Did you end up going through with a transplant ?

I also would like to know a little bit more about Gro.

Initially I was put off by them , but if I am being honest , their results are just as good as any worldwide I have seen so far  -  plenty of blokes who are Norwood 6-7 now with great hairlines and density. Yes, the  price tag is probably pushing $50k  for a good set of hair, but I would pay that to stay in my own country , avoid long flights / hotel stays / any medical wrong doing for peace of mind.

In saying that , from what I have seen I would only consider that Dr Ruk in Brisbane , his results look really clean and patient videos seem to back it up without false advertising.

• 8 months later...