Am i good candidate ? ..Denied by clinic in canada

• Valued Contributor

Yeh u have high grade of baldness and even ur head seems to be big...so u mite face rejections frm many...U cn consult and take opinion of clinics who r doing high norwood cases.. 

Zarev , pittela ,eugnix 

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

4 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

why specifically were you denied?

Unless you have other complications/complexities, just being a NW 6 alone isn't a reason to be rejected in most cases

I have no complications - in simple the clinic said on the email " Dr feels that a HT is not a best option for you considering the donor , recepient and potential future hair loss. 

I have seen cases where HT was performed in candidates with poor donor areas. I think my donor looks ok. I was confused !!

A lot of doctors do tend to refuse operating if the patient isnt medicating or willing to start medication especially when it comes to Finasteride.

I think you are still a good candidate for a HT in case you are aware of this because from the pictures you shown you still got some hair and any surgery strategy would have to bear in mind the fact that you would eventually end up losing them on the short to medium run.

You can always try and consult with other clinics in the meantime. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'd say in some ways you may be a very good candidate because you keep your hair long and do a comb over and apparently don't want a buzz cut or shaved look. This means that even if you can't get dense coverage all over, you'd at least still have more hair which would make it easier to pull off a comb over and not look so much like you are trying to do a comb over to cover a bald head. In this situation, any additional hair on the top of your head is an improvement and may be worth it.

Contrast that with someone who is shaving is head and wants to get his hair back with a hair transplant. Someone who shaves his head is going to need a lot of density and coverage of the crown for him to think it was worth it because if he's a NW 6 and only gets to a NW 3 he may still feel like it was better to shave his head. This is especially true if he has been shaving his head for years since he was a NW 3. In that case in his mind he still hasn't had any improvement from when he felt it was so bad that he had to shave it all off. You are not in this situation, so I think you could be a good candidate depending on if there are no other issues such as thinning donor.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

even though you have to cover a lot of real estate, i think you have a good chance for a positive outcome as long as you pick a clinic that does a lot of high norwoods. your hair shaft looks thick and you can cover more with less hair. eugenics comes to mind for this case but there are a lot of more options out there.

Kira,

As a representative for Dr. Rahal, I can tell you that he considers all the variables when considering whether or not a patient is a candidate and doesn’t make a decision to disqualify a patient lightly.  While being a Norwood class 6 won’t necessarily disqualify you in itself, at 32 years of age, you are likely still experiencing ongoing hair loss. Without finasteride, there’s really no way to really stop its progression.  What I’m getting at is that you already have a large area of baldness to cover - which means the demand for hair likely is already greater than the supply which comes from your donor area.  And since the demand is likely getting bigger as hair loss progresses without finasteride, you will likely be unhappy with what can be accomplished for you using surgical hair restoration.

There’s also more to consider such as your family history, whether there’s any thinning in the donor area, etc. 

Now, there are surgeons out there that may qualify you as a candidate and perform surgery on you. But just be careful. When a top surgeon denies a candidate for surgery, it’s always in the patient’s best interest, nit the doctors.

That said, if you’d like more information on specifically why Dr. Rahal felt you were not a candidate, feel free to send me a private message and I can do some investigation and obtain more information for you.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Valued Contributor

As a high Norwood 7 you really need to augment your donor supply with beard grafts by someone who knows how to use them in high numbers. Many surgeons can yield 500, 700 or 800 beard grafts. But to yield 5,000 plus beard grafts if warranted, then you really need someone who can do more than just transplant them. It's an art to combine them with scalp donor grafts and Dr Sethi at Eugenic who I went to as a Norwood 7 with a very poor and scarred donor knows what he is doing. If you are relying on scalp grafts alone I would have to agree with surgeons who have knocked you back because you just cannot get the coverage. Also have you tried topical finasteride if you are getting side effects to oral finasteride? It's worth a try. Also personally I have found oral minoxidil to be a game changer in giving my scalp hair a lot more thickness. Whatever you decide I wish you all the best!

16 hours ago, Z-- said:

Go Zarev. He's very likely the best doctor in the world for high Norwoods if the last few cases here are anything to go by.

Otherwise, I'd consider H&W in your case.

couldn’t agree more, Zarev is the bees knees but you’ll be waiting until 2054 for the transplant 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

If you plan to never get on Fin or medication, you have to realize that the little hair you left on top will all be gone, absolutely all of it, since you're only 32.  So you will definitely need multiple surgeries if you get one now.

If you're considering getting your transplant in Canada, that also means you have a healthy budget to work with, which means you can go to the best.  Rahal said no, but that doesn't mean another high level doctor won't say yes.  There's lots of them out there.  My recommendation, don't just take one person's word for a doctor, instead, ask around, make a big list, then go through them 1 by 1, looking at user posted cases, and see which style you like the most.

Your case isn't so bad that you won't be able to find a clinic.  I'm 95% sure for example that Eugenix would accept you as a candidate. 

Just keep in mind that you will probably need more surgeries in the future.

Check out my journey here: