30% of top clinic's results are bad?

The bald truth is a janky forum and I don't listen to the podcast. JT is also controversial and I don't like his content. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

33 minutes ago, Belve said:

Possibly this percentage could be true. Most patient cases are not published online, so you can’t really know the success rate of any clinic. 

While it’s true that the majority of cases are not posted online, a 30% failure across the industry would be much more known as there would be far more patients discussing their dissatisfaction and seeking repair…what I have observed in 4.5 decades is more like 10% or less with the top docs that pre-screen their patients correctly, ruling out most physiology issues.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

3 hours ago, Rafael Manelli said:

"out of every ten patients that a top clinic has, about 3 patients will have growth that isn't what it should be."

- JT, on an episode of the podcast "the bald truth" 

Huge if true. What are your thoughts? Are 30% of results mediocre/poor even from top docs? 

Surprised to see a new member hand on an account with over 300 replies. You started this account 11 days ago and you're already up to 318 posts. Pace yourself there buddy.

While there's never been a shortage of questionable or incompetent doctors, there's also no way for this guy to collect or even reference enough patient results to make that statement. Just sensational speculation to keep his audience engaged and entertained.

At best its a gross exaggeration that helps emphasize the importance of doing good research for the best doctor. At worst less optimistic guys will hear it and give up on trying to improve their hairloss at all. And suffer needlessly in silence without ever even trying.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Surprised to see a new member hand on an account with over 300 replies. You started this account 11 days ago and you're already up to 318 posts. Pace yourself there buddy.

While there's never been a shortage of questionable or incompetent doctors, there's also no way for this guy to collect or even reference enough patient results to make that statement. Just sensational speculation to keep his audience engaged and entertained.

At best its a gross exaggeration that helps emphasize the importance of doing good research for the best doctor. At worst less optimistic guys will hear it and give up on trying to improve their hairloss at all. And suffer needlessly in silence without ever even trying.

Excellent post and too many times unfounded claims are made to maintain traffic and interest and the thing that really angers me is the fact that yes some guys will give up and not get a great procedure done.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

4 hours ago, Rafael Manelli said:

"out of every ten patients that a top clinic has, about 3 patients will have growth that isn't what it should be."

- JT, on an episode of the podcast "the bald truth" 

Huge if true. What are your thoughts? Are 30% of results mediocre/poor even from top docs? 

Do you have a link? Or can you share which episode?

1 hour ago, gillenator said:

While it’s true that the majority of cases are not posted online, a 30% failure across the industry would be much more known as there would be far more patients discussing their dissatisfaction and seeking repair…what I have observed in 4.5 decades is more like 10% or less with the top docs that pre-screen their patients correctly, ruling out most physiology issues.

I think the failure percentage is much more than 10%. Many people may not know about forums, or many people who got an average result, can’t understand that their result should be better for the grafts they got. So these people who did not get a good result won’t post or complain anywhere. Also some people may afraid of talking online about their bad result with a known doctor for their own reasons. 
In addition clinics do not post their bad cases, as they try to hide them.

So you really don’t know what’s the actual failure percentage of hair transplant doctors, if the most cases of the clinics are not posted online. 

Edited by Belve
  • Like 1

What defines top clinic?

What defines failure? poor growth? patient dissatisfaction, unreal expecations?

Hair transplant is not like BP or diabetes where a doctors success can be objectively measured. 80% of Doctor As panel haas BP less than 120/80 while Doctor Bs patient only 60% are at goal blood pressure so Doctor A > Doctor B. 

JT makes money of his list and charging doctors to be on his list. He come from the marketing camp that believes the more controversial your topic the better the publicity. So he makes outrageous statements and exagerrated videos often.

Edited by shiba1985
  • Like 2

I call BS on that number.

Obviously, there are no 'official' statistics and success/failure rates are going to be extremely subjective. If someone needs 2 procedures, one for the front and one for the crown, does the first one count as 'failed' because it did not restore a full head of hair? It just sounds like a lot of made-up, sensationalist click-bait stuff. I agree with the colleagues, failure rates may be closer to a 5% that may be attributed to physiology or factors outside of a good doctor's control. 

• Valued Contributor
10 hours ago, gillenator said:

Excellent post and too many times unfounded claims are made to maintain traffic and interest and the thing that really angers me is the fact that yes some guys will give up and not get a great procedure done.

Thts true ..just to generate traffic or evn if ths is nt the intention and just he wanna gain knowledge ..thread like ths may scare so many people and ths cud  influence their decision ...this 30% and all are jst wild comments and cn nvr be justified as thr is no such data available and no one cn evn collect that...

We are just here to comment and have our reviews on a particular case which users post over here and we shud go case to case basis...we are here to gather information and experience related to various issues regarding ht and related thngs...bt we shud be careful in doing this...

Am nt accusing him as evn i am nt tht senior user and whn u r new u have tht excitement to answer to every topic and get involved ..even i feel the same..bt shud b careful while doing ths as it may lead in creating a false narrative ...😊

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

I agree that reviews should be done on a case by case basis especially as subjective as this area of cosmetic surgery is…and listen my friend, I personally find more help and credibility from newer individuals like yourself Archan because of your obvious honesty, sincerity, and transparency…and wanting to help others who suffer from hair loss.

• Like 1

Gillenator

On 2/9/2023 at 7:38 PM, Belve said:

I think the failure percentage is much more than 10%. Many people may not know about forums, or many people who got an average result, can’t understand that their result should be better for the grafts they got. So these people who did not get a good result won’t post or complain anywhere. Also some people may afraid of talking online about their bad result with a known doctor for their own reasons. 
In addition clinics do not post their bad cases, as they try to hide them.

So you really don’t know what’s the actual failure percentage of hair transplant doctors, if the most cases of the clinics are not posted online. 

I would not agree that the so-called failure percentage is “much more” than 10% but honestly, who really knows?…and as Shiba correctly stated, “what is the actual factual definition of a procedure failure?”…there are an endless amount of factors that can dissuade the end results and too many variables that can potentially affect the patient’s “perception” and level of satisfaction…and depending on the merits of each case, what one individual may be unhappy with, another individual with a very similar situation may be totally exuberant with…and are the expectations realistic because too many times they are not.

Gillenator

Expectations are way too high due to the world of social media. Everybody expects are 10/10 result because that’s what they see on Instagram 

I’d be more wary of a clinic posting 10/10 results every time than one with solid 8/10 ones. Lighting, topik and dare I say photoshop can all give a hugely false impression to would be customers.

That’s the beauty of this forum. There’s a wealth of detail for people to look through with endless streams of clinic reviews. It’s fairly easy to get a feel for a Dr once you’ve spent a few hours on here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ScottishGuy21 said:

Expectations are way too high due to the world of social media. Everybody expects are 10/10 result because that’s what they see on Instagram 

I’d be more wary of a clinic posting 10/10 results every time than one with solid 8/10 ones. Lighting, topik and dare I say photoshop can all give a hugely false impression to would be customers.

That’s the beauty of this forum. There’s a wealth of detail for people to look through with endless streams of clinic reviews. It’s fairly easy to get a feel for a Dr once you’ve spent a few hours on here.

Agreed! A few things I find helpful are these also. 

I saw Melvin mentioning one clinic that tried to sue them for not deleting a bad review, and they did not delete it despite those threats. So that shows a form of ethic sense. After all that's the most important thing if you try to help others.

I believe this forum has a healthy community and good moderators. I really hope it stays that way, because we live in a world where we get manipulated into buying things and perceiving things the way that others want you to. Maybe I went to deep there, but that's just my thoughts..

Edited by Cory

• Valued Contributor
On 2/11/2023 at 4:24 AM, gillenator said:

I agree that reviews should be done on a case by case basis especially as subjective as this area of cosmetic surgery is…and listen my friend, I personally find more help and credibility from newer individuals like yourself Archan because of your obvious honesty, sincerity, and transparency…and wanting to help others who suffer from hair loss.

Thnks for ur kind words...😊

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023