How many people have a second procedure?

Hey all,

Long story short, I had a transplant 18 months ago for 1800 grafts on my hairline (Norwood 3). Whilst I’m very happy with the result, I am considering going back just to add a little density and touch up the hair line to bring the temples down a little more. The temples are where I wanted and agreed with my surgeon, but after living life post transplant, I think a little extra density and a little more lowered temples would finish it off. This isn’t to fix a botch job, or to fill in where further hair has been lost, it’s just to perfect what’s already been done 😊

So my question is, how many people go back for a second procedure just to touch what’s already been done?

Look forward to hearing.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. Good to know it’s not just me having hair greed ha ha. Like I say, I’m very happy with the result of just the one procedure, and I could happily leave it as it is. But a few touch ups and a little density would really complete it for me.

I wasn’t sure how common it was for people to go for round 2 just for touch ups or density, or if people held off in case they needed the donor for further loss in the years to come.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DaveTay said:

Thanks for the replies. Good to know it’s not just me having hair greed ha ha. Like I say, I’m very happy with the result of just the one procedure, and I could happily leave it as it is. But a few touch ups and a little density would really complete it for me.

I wasn’t sure how common it was for people to go for round 2 just for touch ups or density, or if people held off in case they needed the donor for further loss in the years to come.

Thanks again!

Do you have any pictures of your result?

Haven't seen this used for a while but going for a "second pass" was a very common phrase on here for a long time. And the phrase "hair greed". 

After a while you forget how bad it was before and start to think about adding to it. Now after over 10 years of being happy I'm starting to get jealous of people who have that straight line up connecting the sides/temples to the new hairline. 

It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the original result.....we just always want more!

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Many get second procedures to "top themselves off". Others like get second procedured because their first was botched; like myself. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

Also worth noting…

If you need a large number of grafts it’s difficult to do in one session without putting your donor area at risk. A few very highly skilled surgeons have mastered mega FUE sessions but the majority of ethical Dr’s prefer to break such cases into 2. 

Edited by ScottishGuy21
  • Like 1

@DaveTay,

While I couldn’t give you an exact percentage or number, many people who have undergone hair transplant surgery return for some fine tuning or a small refinement to their existing procedure.  That said, it’s really not a matter of how many people have done it… but rather it’s a matter of whether or not some fine-tuning or refinement is appropriate in your case.  I couldn’t give you an opinion without seeing some photos but in my opinion, I would talk to your surgeon about what you would like to do and see what he or she has to say.  If you would like a more specific opinion from members about your situation, feel free to post some photos.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.