Row implantation of grafts

Hi all, what do you think about the row implementation from top surgeons, including Hasson and Wong?  Their results look really good in the before/after photos, but some people criticize this method as looking less natural (removed link).  Any thoughts on that here?  I'm considering Dr. Nakatsui, who trained with Dr. Wong and also may do the row implementation. 

I've asked this question before. My best guess is that rows are easier to perform rather than attempting to mimic the more natural, irregular pattern that exists in nature.

Basically, it saves time and requires less surgical skill.

I personally don't see how anyone could say that rows are optimal, and it will be apparent that you've had a hair transplant if you opt to wear your hair shorter. I also don't think a surgeon who implants in rows can really be sure what length of hair will be required to camoflage their work. Is it a half inch of length? An inch? Not so great if you consider naturalness the most important aspect of a hair transplant.

• Like 2

I’ve noticed a couple of other respected doctors have row-like implantations, one that hasn’t been mentioned here yet is Couto.

As for H&W I’ve noticed when they do row like implantations it is usually in existing hair. Just a observation, I wonder why these top doctors who are revered as the best have been doing it.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

2 hours ago, mister_25 said:

I’ve noticed a couple of other respected doctors have row-like implantations, one that hasn’t been mentioned here yet is Couto.

As for H&W I’ve noticed when they do row like implantations it is usually in existing hair. Just a observation, I wonder why these top doctors who are revered as the best have been doing it.

I don't think I've seen a Couto result that uses row-like implants. H&W's use of rows are fairly limited -- even amongst existing hairs, it's never those horrible vertical corn-like rows. They'll sometimes blend them in with native hair (esp if necessary in the crown), but never in the hairline.

• Like 1

I am a little surprised by this post… what do you mean by “Rows“ other than what I and everyone perceives to be old school hair transplant surgery that makes the procedure way easier for the doctor but way less dense and natural looking for the patient?  There’s a reason why individuals use the phrase “corn rows“ to describe old-school hair transplants. They simply looked just like it and were exceptionally unnatural looking.

so unless something has dramatically changed, I know that top clinics don’t transplant using the old corn row pattern. Transplanted hair is placed into tiny recipient sites that are made to mimic nature at our clinic and I expect other top clinics as well.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

8 hours ago, Z-- said:

I don't think I've seen a Couto result that uses row-like implants. H&W's use of rows are fairly limited -- even amongst existing hairs, it's never those horrible vertical corn-like rows. They'll sometimes blend them in with native hair (esp if necessary in the crown), but never in the hairline.

I use the words “row-like” because it follows a discernible pattern that are found in corn rows, although in the final result it is invisible if the hair is longer, if someone were to buzz their hair shorter there is a sharp change in angulation and graft placement where you can identify where the transplant is and where the native is. It’s no where near the atrocious level of the corn fields Diep plants but it’s not as seamless and subtle as the random/staggered placement of nature. It looks like if someone were to lay bricks but instead of bricks it’s hair grafts.

I do agree that for H&W it is never in the hairline, and when it is done it’s almost exclusively in native hair where it is camouflaged. I’ll get the couto result later and edit this post with it.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

For rows I was referring to a post on reddit r/hairtransplant, which was removed.  Posting here again just in case, but apologies in advance if we aren't supposed to post these types of links

Edited by Melvin- Moderator
Removed link

One more thing, somebody mentioned the fact that these so-called rose are not visible when hair is longer. But what about those who want to wear their hair cropped short? Many people are attempting to re-create as close to “true density“ as possible in order to wear their hair crop short or at least shorter than somebody who is wearing their hair longer and covering all evidence of where the follicles were placed.

all that to say, if you’re saying that these rows are only natural looking if they are concealed by longer hair, then the surgeon isn’t doing their job right. Hair follicles should be placed into recipient incisions that are made to me that nature. Now could day sometimes appear Road liked without being in evenly distributed rows? Absolutely.  And maybe that’s what you’re referring to. But it does concern me to hear somebody say that the patient shouldn’t worry because the rose like patterns with the concealer longer hair. There should be nothing necessary to conceal if the surgeon is creating recipient decisions that mimic the appearance of nature. That way the patient can wear their hair whatever length they please.

Now obviously patients may not choose to wear their hair overly short if they simply don’t possess the large number of follicular units necessary to create high enough density to wear it short. But naturalness from placement should never be a question I should not need to be concealed by longer hair.

just my two cents.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 2 months later...

It looks really bad and is a poor design , Do see my case the light enters scalp and rows are clearly visible along with bumps, if we have existing hairs then only row implantaton may not show up but if there are no hairs it looks unnatural as natural hairs are random and interlocked , i recently corrected it 2 months before still it haunts me because the lined bumps are visible now currently i m in shedding phase only coming months will let me know if the newly implanted hairs from my 2nd repair transplant created randomness and bumped lines are gone  do check out 

Edited by WoundedWolf

On 1/5/2023 at 7:10 AM, HappyMan2021 said:

Rows look bad and are only done for economic reasons to benefit the clinic. One of the (many) criticisms of a doctor recently removed from the recommended surgeon list was his row implantation. 

Diep?

19 minutes ago, AlexMeister21 said:

Speaking of Diep, I was at the airport recently with my hair short and so many people were looking up at my hairline. It looked so freaking unnatural with the gaps and row implantation done by Diep.

I’m sorry. Do you have a pic?

39 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

I’m sorry. Do you have a pic?

Here’s a photo I just took. It looked worse than this whenever I checked out my hair in the airport bathrooms. Didn’t care to wear a hat or put on Toppiks, but definitely was noticing people’s eyes going up to my hairline 👀 

76EFF7AC-3414-46CB-B082-D728C3B29A7A.thumb.jpeg.355e714d394a1f3ccf930a6e3130c8ad.jpeg

Edited by AlexMeister21

5 minutes ago, AlexMeister21 said:

Here’s a photo I just took. It looked worse than this whenever I checked out my hair in the airport bathrooms. Didn’t care to wear a hat or put on Toppiks, but definitely was noticing people’s eyes going up to my hairline 👀 

76EFF7AC-3414-46CB-B082-D728C3B29A7A.thumb.jpeg.355e714d394a1f3ccf930a6e3130c8ad.jpeg

Are you planning on a repair?