Still a big believer of FUT

Okay so FUE might be the most popular hair transplant procedure right now, obviously the thought of surgeons opening up the scalp seem scary to people (I've seen the word "barbaric" describe the FUT method by some redditor) and people not wanting a linear scar is probably the main reason for this, plus the recovery is longer. What I don't understand is a lot of clinics, even some of the recommended doctors here don't even include FUT in their packages or results. 

Is there a major advancement in the FUE technique where the lifetime graft yield is almost equal to FUT now? Or is it just patients or doctors just getting smarter with their planning for future hair loss?

I personally am still a believer of FUT, this might be nonsense (and dangerous mindset) but I think of it as a risk free 2k grafts, even if you get zero growth, you could probably still have 5k grafts in the bank for a repair. Or if it turns out to be successful, then you could have a denser result if you plan for another ht.

Am i wrong in this? I'm here to learn as much as possible so please don't reply patronizingly. 

• Like 1

I had FUT years ago with Dr. Gabel who you can find on this forum. His process which is more common now of that trichophytic stitching is a big deal. Minimal scar. But still a scar and that's why I think most go with FUE. I don't think FUT indicates lifelong grafts though, both are finite yeah? 

Are you considering getting FUT?

4 hours ago, ray35 said:

I had FUT years ago with Dr. Gabel who you can find on this forum. His process which is more common now of that trichophytic stitching is a big deal. Minimal scar. But still a scar and that's why I think most go with FUE. I don't think FUT indicates lifelong grafts though, both are finite yeah? 

Are you considering getting FUT?

Is your scar noticeable with like a 1 guard fade?

2 hours ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Is your scar noticeable with like a 1 guard fade?

So I can go to a 3 clipper attachment.... but I don't do a fade. I doubt it I bet the line would be visible. I just wear my hair at 3 clipper taper up to a 4... but that's my clippers attachments they marked like 1 through 7 and those numbers are not reflective of inches. Just to be sure we're talking the same measurements. But the scar is super thin... I could have it filled with an FUE .

10 hours ago, Henry said:

Okay so FUE might be the most popular hair transplant procedure right now, obviously the thought of surgeons opening up the scalp seem scary to people (I've seen the word "barbaric" describe the FUT method by some redditor) and people not wanting a linear scar is probably the main reason for this, plus the recovery is longer. What I don't understand is a lot of clinics, even some of the recommended doctors here don't even include FUT in their packages or results. 

Is there a major advancement in the FUE technique where the lifetime graft yield is almost equal to FUT now? Or is it just patients or doctors just getting smarter with their planning for future hair loss?

I personally am still a believer of FUT, this might be nonsense (and dangerous mindset) but I think of it as a risk free 2k grafts, even if you get zero growth, you could probably still have 5k grafts in the bank for a repair. Or if it turns out to be successful, then you could have a denser result if you plan for another ht.

Am i wrong in this? I'm here to learn as much as possible so please don't reply patronizingly. 

This isn't news to anyone. Most forum regulars know patients can get more lifetime grafts if they start out with FUT. But the thing is, most of us are not Norwood 6's and do not need every single graft at our disposable - and certainly not if the visible linear scar is part of the terms and conditions. 

I personally am a Norwood 3 and can achieve great NW1 density all with FUE. While I could hypothetically get more lifetime grafts with FUT, I simply do not need FUT as part of my treatment plan. 

Hasson & Wong were the pioneers of making the absolutely best FUT results out there but Dr Hasson is now on record stating be believes FUE has got to a point where its as good as or better than FUT in their view and they only were willing to transition when it was considered good enough in their eyes. 

Firstly, i think FUT absolutely still has a place in terms of how it works and i think although people do worry about the linear scar, and this is probably the biggest sticking point for a lot of people because unlike FUE scars which are pretty set in point from extraction as a punch scar, the linear scar can and in some cases does stretch over time for some people. 

Now, just not to let FUE completely off the hook here, because it has its own issues, such as how on some people the FUE scars can heal with a brighter white pigmentation and stand out more. Mr Rolandas demonstrated this with his FUE procedure when he got a fade cut and its on YouTube to view. 

Also, one thing people who do get FUT can think about is how if you take all the punch scars FUE gives and FUT scar as a linear line, your FUT scar can actually cover a smaller area overall but FUE in maybe a fair few cases shows itself as being more visually better hidden with surrounding hair grown out enough to create that illusion it isn't. 

I would say it's significantly easier to then use scalp/beard hair to fill the donor in and also use SMP much easier to fill an FUT scar in. That said, the biggest minus is definitely the longer recovery time and the possibility of the scar stretching during and after that period of time. 

Honestly, hair clone grafts cannot get here fast enough to put this entire thing to rest and i guess by default both methods become extinct bar maybe FUE to cherry pick the initial grafts for cloning, neither plays a part on how implantation is done and we'll end up with the whole "Is Super Duper Diamond Dragon 9000 better than regular when making recipient zones?" type questions and a hyper focus on implanter pens etc. 

@Henry,

embracing change is an always easy. It took a long time for both surgeons and patients to embrace the reality that FUE can be just as viable in terms of growth as FUT with the right skill and experience.  That said, FUE requires a great deal of experience and skill to master. Sure, anybody can use a punch and remove follicular units and place them. But to do it with precision, accuracy and without transection or damage consistently takes a plethora of skill and experience.

i’m a firm believer that in order to become a master of FUE, one has to make FUE the only procedure they perform and do it regularly and consistently.  Those who continue to perform FUT and dabble in FUE (regardless of how sophisticated the tool or device that you use is), Will very likely not be able to produce results on par with those dedicated surgeons dedicated their entire practice to mastering the FUE technique.

Trust me when I say there are many surgeons including those recommended by this community who fought hard against FUE (claiming that it is inferior to FUT).  However, now that they’ve been performing FUE consistently and have devoted their practice to it, their views have changed completely.

The bottom line is, FUE can produce results on par if not even better than FUT if the surgeon/clinic possesses the skills and experience to do so.

But just as a criteria by this community is that a surgeon must either devote their entire practice to hair transplant surgery or Make surgical hair restoration a dominant procedure they perform to become recommended, it is best to choose and if you need surgeon who also has devoted their practice strictly to FUE.

Now a debatable point is whether or not The best FUE surgeons are those who first mastered FUT and then mastered FUE or those who strictly started by performing FUE.  Personally, I feel those who first mastered FUT have an edge over those who didn’t but that doesn’t mean there aren’t quality FUE doctors that I’ve only ever performed this procedure.

below, I have presented some questions that prospective patients should ask surgeons/clinics in order to find the best FUE surgeon/clinic for them.

——-

Consult questions to ask prospective doctors

Below is a list of questions that our clinic feels is important for prospective patients to ask prior to undergoing FIE surgery.  I've also provided information about each question and what you ultimately should be looking for.

1. Do they specialize (only do) hair transplants?  Doctors who specialize in hair transplantation have more skill and experience which provides their patients with a more natural looking and dense head of hair.

2. Do they only do fue? Vs. strip?  Doctors who only do the occasional FUE procedure or mix it with strip are doing fewer FUE procedures and thus, aren't as experienced.

3. Do they specialize in hairlines? Those who specialize in hairlines can create the most natural looking ones.

4. Do they use small punch sizes smaller than 1mm for all types of grafts?  Using larger punches can cause more damage to the donor area, making scarring more visible and can make it so less donor hair is available for transplanting.  Some doctors will argue that larger punches cause less damage to the grafts but doctors with more experience and skill won't cause any damage to the grafts using smaller punches as well.

5. Do they offer every type of fue (manual, motorized)?  Most doctors use the device/tool they are most comfortable with for every FUE procedure.  However, all patients are different and one approach isn't always best for everyone.  It's important to select a physician who adapts their technique and uses various devices depending on the patients needs rather than what's easiest for the doctor.  That said, This requires the doctor/clinic to master more than 1 instrument.  

6. Do they inspect each graft under magnification?  Many surgeons claim to have a transection rate of less than 5%.   But how many of them really evaluate this?  Inspecting each graft under magnification during surgery is the only way a surgeon can truly measure transection rates and the truth is, very few clinics are doing this.  Many who report low transection rates are basing this off of a single experiment from one patient rather than ongoing data analysis based on the average of many patients.  Thus, it's always better to select a surgeon who inspects each graft prior to implantation and actually quantifies transection rates.

7. Do they store the grafts in hypothermosol solution? We use for heart transplant surgery.  Most surgeons use a basic saline (salt and water) solution to store grafts while they are outside of the body.  Hypothermosol is a more advanced solution that preserves hair cells and tissue longer and is the same solution used in more advanced organ transplants such as the heart and liver.

8. Do they use 5x magnification when implanting?  Using magnification while implanting is important in order for the doctor and technicians to adequately see what they are doing.  This reduces the possibility of damage to the follicles.  Most clinics will use some kind of magnification, but using 5X magnification is considered optimal.

6. Do they use a “no touch technique” for implantation? (we use KEEP to implant).   Typically, technicians use forceps to place grafts into recipient sites however, grafts can easily be squeezed or crushed, causing irreparable damage.  "No touch" devices such as the K.E.E.P. (Koray Erdogan Embedding Placer) were developed to eliminate damage during implantation and thus, it's important to consider this when selecting a physician to perform your procedure.

7. Have they performed strip before or have they only ever performed FUE?  Doctors who used to specialize in strip are typically more versatile and understand the need to inspect grafts after extraction, use high magnification during implantation and customize a hair transplant based on an individual's needs rather than using a "one size fits all" approach.

-----

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 3:40 PM, HappyMan2021 said:

This isn't news to anyone. Most forum regulars know patients can get more lifetime grafts if they start out with FUT. But the thing is, most of us are not Norwood 6's and do not need every single graft at our disposable - and certainly not if the visible linear scar is part of the terms and conditions. 

I personally am a Norwood 3 and can achieve great NW1 density all with FUE. While I could hypothetically get more lifetime grafts with FUT, I simply do not need FUT as part of my treatment plan. 

What is your age?

you may not think you need those extra 2k grafts that you’d have access to by starting with FUT … but odds are you will progress to an advanced Norwood, sooner or later. 

Not all that common to just stay at NW3 for life. 

18 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

FUT still has a very valid role in hair restoration- especially for higher norwood cases. I think a doctor that specializes in both will offer their patients the best options tailored for them. An “FUE only” clinic limits what is best for some patents, imo 

Agreed. Who would you go to for a Strip? 

On 12/4/2022 at 7:10 AM, Henry said:

yes i think if you go with a quality doctor, and your scalp is appropriate for FUT, starting with an FUT is better. as long as you are not going to cut your sides to a really short zero, or 1 guard. 

3 hours ago, davidn said:

Agreed. Who would you go to for a Strip? 

Konior. His technique is second to none. I’ve seem amazing strip scars from him that are extremely thin. Nadimi probably isn’t far off either.

Hasson and wong (moreso wong nowadays) would be another choice if you are looking at mega sessions of 4K+ grafts.

7 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Konior. His technique is second to none. I’ve seem amazing strip scars from him that are extremely thin. Nadimi probably isn’t far off either.

Hasson and wong (moreso wong nowadays) would be another choice if you are looking at mega sessions of 4K+ grafts.

Hattingen?