will this hair dye cause further hair loss?

Naturtint Permanent Hair Color 4N Natural Chestnut (Pack of 1), Ammonia Free, Vegan, Cruelty Free, up to 100% Gray Coverage, Long Lasting Results 

i want to dye my hair this color but if there is a somewhat high chance of it setting back my hair journey so far id prefer not to. ive been on minoxidil for about a year so that should be somewhat stable (except increased dosage, including on beard area) but with finasteride too, ive been shedding a lot

here’s my hair, im currently on minoxidil 5% twice daily and finasteride 1mg 

5254E294-DD8C-4D1F-8859-56527F786EEB.jpeg

Edited by Melvin- Moderator
Removed link

I found out that I have scarring alopecia, which in part manifests as red, inflamed scalp.  This got triggered last time when using a Just for Men product for hair colouring.  I was told by my hair surgeon to look into henna hair dye as a safe alternative.  Normally we see henna as used for painting patterns onto hands and whatnot, but it can be used for the hair as well.

• Wow 1

5 hours ago, AB2000 said:

I found out that I have scarring alopecia, which in part manifests as red, inflamed scalp.  This got triggered last time when using a Just for Men product for hair colouring.  I was told by my hair surgeon to look into henna hair dye as a safe alternative.  Normally we see henna as used for painting patterns onto hands and whatnot, but it can be used for the hair as well.

interesting, i decided to order it and use it at some point and i don’t think i have any other scalp conditions so i hope i’ll be fine. i honestly should have used henna though, or i still can. were your color results with henna good? i thought i heard somewhere it could make blonde hair orange ish

9 hours ago, zenmu said:

interesting, i decided to order it and use it at some point and i don’t think i have any other scalp conditions so i hope i’ll be fine. i honestly should have used henna though, or i still can. were your color results with henna good? i thought i heard somewhere it could make blonde hair orange ish

I haven't tried yet, I found out about it recently, but did see it on Amazon so will make a purchase some time.

2 hours ago, ciaus said:

Try not to overthink things, dying your hair with a reputable well known hair dye is not going to worsen male pattern baldness. 

Conversely i have a feeling when i used bleach with hydrogen peroxide a while back to try lighten the hair enough for the colour i wanted, way before i hopped on Dutasteride, i think i sped up the process of hair loss and damaged the hair there to not recover back. It's not 100% confirmed as i don't have full o  pictures etc. but i do feel it had an impact. 

You should always be careful though to try and ensure you're taking safety precautions colouring hair generally. I think most formulationa these days just with colour are safe. It's bleaching you really got to watch out for. I am fairly certain it burnt part of my scalp and when Dr Das saw my donor area, she didn't know what had happened so asked me lol. 

On 11/28/2022 at 2:03 PM, AB2000 said:

Do you know which type of scarring alopecia you have? Did it impact growth in any way?

2 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Do you know which type of scarring alopecia you have? Did it impact growth in any way?

It is hard to know how much I lost.  I don't look like I've had 13k grafts.  The important thing at this point is to prevent further loss.  Had I been aware of this when I started I would be further ahead.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:44 AM, ciaus said:

Try not to overthink things, dying your hair with a reputable well known hair dye is not going to worsen male pattern baldness. 

yeah you’re right, thanks man

It’s always a good idea to get several opinions.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think you're definitely good to go, and don't think a hair dye will negatively impact your progress at all. The primary concern with using chemicals on our hair is that we don't overdo it and damage the quality of the existing hair by making it dry, brittle, etc. But even that sort of damage is unrelated to MPB - and you won't damage it like that by one treatment alone. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56